NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Split Coupler for Shaft / Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Split Coupler for Shaft / Transmission
    Posted: August-04-2015 at 12:49am
I was on the Buck Algonquin website and saw their split couplers. It looks as if the split coupler would make shaft removal/replacement a snap.

They look pretty slick. Pros vs. Cons?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 1:07am
For some reason the DD's don't use them. I wonder why Correct Craft didn't use them in the first place would seem easier for them when building. My 95 with a Walter v drive uses one on the prop shaft though.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 10:47pm
I sent an e-mail off to Buck Algonquin and got a response. The person who replied stated that he had not heard of a request for a PCM transmission/shaft split coupler. He did say, however, that if I provided the flange size, bolt pattern, bolt size and pilot size that they would likely have a unit that would match-up.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 11:18pm
I have one. Just have it fitted and faced like any other coupler..
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 11:20pm
The only pro for a split coupling is it's ease of installation. From a mechanical engineering standpoint, there are a couple cons. Balance is not a good feature especially at the RPM's our prop shafts run at. Over about 2500, the vibration will have a tendency to blow bearings. The other really bad feature is their uneven clamping force around the shaft. It gets worse as the clearance between the coupling bore and the shaft increases. In theory, without any deformation of the coupling bore from it's clamping force, the bore to shaft contact line is two straight lines parallel to the shaft. The split coupling only clamps in one direction. I would never consider using one in our high RPM application. The ARE double taper is the way to go.

Gary,
You had better take it easy on that Walters! Split coupling, using U joints rather than gears and you have got to remember their "special" bearings!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 11:28pm
20 years old Pete and still all original I do have to laugh though, I remember Eric talking about dealing with them. My dipstick was stuck in the drive and broke at the o ring seal land. I had to call them to get one and talked to a woman who answered the phone. I felt like I was calling someones house. She argued with me that I needed a cover gasket along with the stick! Strange conversation for sure.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

I have one. Just have it fitted and faced like any other coupler..

Why? Was it before the ARE system and you couldn't heat shrink? iId suggest looking for the smut on a regular routine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic