Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 overheat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 overheat
    Posted: July-03-2015 at 8:43pm
1998 gt 40 pro boss. Will it overheat if the raw water pump is installed without the gasket ?
lonestar
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 9:37pm
So you forgot the paper gasket but installed o-ring? I've always put the paper one in as well as the o-ring. You might be sucking some air and have a reduced flow of water to the engine. I'd opt yo put it it. If you lost it you could sub a very thin layer of gasket maker or silicone.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 11:12pm
Its not that hard to pull it apart again. That paper gasket goes between the end plate and the bearing housing. It most likely suck air and will most likely let you down when you need it the most. Here is the parts breakdown and assembly instructions
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 11:17pm
That Sherwood PDF would be a good addition to the Reference -> Miscellaneous section.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 11:59pm
That is a really nice breakdown of the raw water pump. Have not seen any in that detail before. Nice Job Gary.
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 12:38am
Thanks everybody, I agree I need to get one installed ASAP. It was sorta a comedy of errors tonight. I put the new impeller in earlier this week but I forgot about the gasket and broke the old one pulling it apart. I bolted it all back together and it was pulling water nicely but dripping a bit because of the gasket. I got a call from the lake tonight the boat was overheating and back at the dock. I immediately assumed it was because of the gasket. Fortunately when I got there to improvise my own gasket I saw the belt wasn't on, put the belt on and we are good . I ran it for a while and the temps stay around 160 + or - .
lonestar
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 12:40am
That's a real handy breakdown of the pump , Thank you !
lonestar
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 12:40am
Thanks,I only knew it was on the 'net because I stopped at their booth at the Miami boat show. They were handing out real nice catalogs with that info for all their pumps. There is one thing wrong in the disassembly of the pump thought,only a problem when removing the shaft and replacing the bearings. You need to remove the seal and take a circlip off the shaft before pressing the shaft out of the housing. When putting back together you press the shaft back in,replace the clip then put the seal in.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic