NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Air Horns

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Horns
    Posted: July-01-2015 at 12:48pm
So as to not clutter up 350 chevy's post about his horns I will start anew.

Whilst on the horn topic....sorry to thread jack.......mine has two air horns that actually work when supplied with a big garage type compressor.....anyone have any idea what type of compressor was used back then to make them work .. There are signs of something mounted under the dash. I tried a small 12 volt compressor with a small tank but it was now where close to making them blow. It would be nice to have at least one in working order.

Pete please fill me in on the CO2 method if you would.

Gary..yes it is for the Marauder. They look so good I hate to change them...but are useless without major air supply.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 1:19pm
All I remember is, the pumps were small, maybe 7" to 8" by 2.5" to 3"

I just googled (small high pressure air horn pump) and came up with quite afew options.

Don't you have two pairs of trumpets?

DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 1:39pm

I run mine off an air zenith pump rated 100% duty cycle and 200psi. with two 5 gal tanks.
But for you a small 2-3gallon tank and a mid range viaar pump should be easy enough to find a home for if your clever.
Otherwise your stuck with something like the pump that woud come with these and they may not provide the psi you need. you may be able to remove the diaphram and replace it with a lighter one but you will get a different tone.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-12V-Dual-Air-Horn-With-12V-Compressor-Kit-For-Car-Truck-RV-Boat-Super-Loud-/251417645517
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

All I remember is, the pumps were small, maybe 7" to 8" by 2.5" to 3"

I just googled (small high pressure air horn pump) and came up with quite afew options.

Don't you have two pairs of trumpets?

yes...two pairs....I tried a compressor from an amazon supplier that was for car and truck and boat air horns......complete waste of money. provided absolutely no sound through the horn. I will continue my search with your suggested phrase. Thanks
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 2:58pm
I think the term high pressure isn't going to get you exactly what you need. I would search high volume. or something with the most cfm if you are looking to run it without a tank and solenoid valve.
I had a dual trumpet horn on my novi that had this style setup. I still have the pump i think. If i remember it was a very weak pump and the horns which i know i still have had light duty plastic diaphragms inside them so it didn't require a lot of pressure to run them. I know this because i had to replace them.
what are your diaphragms made of in your horns? (if you take the cover off the back)
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 3:53pm
Ok I'm confused. I've got original dual trumpets on both boats. The SW horn sounds troubled and needs some attention, my Century horn blows like a freight train. No compressors, just electric with 2 little wires that come out of the deck. Are these compressors what they come with now, or just enhancements?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 4:01pm
74...yours are 12 volt horns. These are air horns. Original as far as I know.
Daytony...I would be ok with a tank type unit. That's what I tried but compressor was way too little.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Pete please fill me in on the CO2 method if you would.

Bill,
If you haven't already found it, Kevin found the original thread and bumped it. There is more detail in it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 12:53am
Thanks for the link.
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 11:17pm
I used one of these compressors for my dual hadley air horns. I mounted the compressor under the dash and behind the foot plate. I added a separate accessory switch to isolate the compressor so it wont kill my battery, because the compressor automatically turns on when the pressure in the tank reaches below 50psi. I also had to buy a solenoid which is wired to the "horn" switch to open/close the valve and operate the horn.

I hold the accessory switch for 30 seconds to a minute to operate the compressor and add pressure to the tank, which is plenty of pressure to operate the horn at full volume at least a dozen times. The horn is VERY LOUD and will definitely get your attention!

After over two years of having this set up I have been very pleased with how it works.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic