NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Cold Start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard Cold Start
    Posted: June-29-2015 at 10:12pm
Stock 87 351 with points distributer. The engine has been getting harder to start when cold and. was running rough also. Fathersday we reset the dwell to 27 (from 34) and timing to 11 (from 15) degrees at idle. runs like a champ and fires right away warm, but still cranks forever when cold. I see a squirt (arches to the center of the butterfly) in two barrels of the carb with a throttle pump before starting. What do I check next?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 12:56am
Is the choke working?
rmccauley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmccauley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 1:09am
Pull the air cleaner, turn the key on and wait a few seconds, at this point you should see the choke flap on top of the carb pull shut, if it doesn't then the choke is not working or needs adjusted. These holly chokes need adjusted to control how far the choke pulls open. I feel confident this is your problem Being that it starts and runs well when at operating temperature.
Rob
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 5:35am
Thanks guys. Such an obvious answer that I had not checked out (out of site ,out of mind)I I will look into that this week and let you know what I find.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 8:18am
I have the chokes bypassed (or removed entirely) on all my boats. 2 pumps and they fire right up cold. Below 50 deg is really where the choke helps... Not many people boat in cold weather.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 9:48am
Agreed, chokes aint nuttin but something to make the boat run badly until they open up.   Do a standard tune up, check plugs, points, timing and consider a carb rebuild.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I have the chokes bypassed (or removed entirely) on all my boats. 2 pumps and they fire right up cold. Below 50 deg is really where the choke helps... Not many people boat in cold weather.

What's the bypass rig/procedure out of curiosity? Just crank/adjust the black housing for the choke coil over until it's all the way open and un plug the coil?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 1:18pm
^ that's mine.

quinner's meaty hand works well as a choke in winter.
rmccauley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmccauley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 1:22pm
If the choke was not opened the engine would not run well when hot. It would load up and run ruff and sputter. You would smell raw fuel. I would suspect that the choke is not closing. I know some people say remove or disconnect but that really isn't necessary if it's not closing. If it's not closing it's not working. No need to disconnect.
Rob
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

quinner's meaty hand works well as a choke in winter.

“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.”
― Edith Sitwell
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 1:37pm
his left hand is skinny and weak. his right hand is strangely thick and strong.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 1:47pm

.... his right hand is strangely thick and strong.

It's all the "choking."

"ba-dum-bum-CHING"
rmccauley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmccauley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 1:50pm
Wow, unlike the lakes , the POOL of common sense has dried up. Glad I'm in the rainy area. Lmao.
Rob
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 3:05pm

his left hand is skinny and weak. his right hand is strangely thick and strong.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 9:52pm
Wow. I leave for work and look what I miss.

Joe. I was excited to think it might just be the choke, that would likely be an easy fix, but I will not argue with your engine knowledge. I just did the dwell and timing as I mentioned above. I will look at the plugs but they have less than 100 hours on them. . should I suspect anything with the coil?
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 7:47pm
I have not progressed very far with this. I did discover that I have no choke at all on a cold start. I have a spare carb in the garage so I will swap out the electric choke coil component and see if that helps at all. until I can get to the rest.
1987 Ski Nautique

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 1:23am
It sounds like the consensus is that the choke shouldn't matter much in warm weather.

When you say cold start, does it mean, what's the time spam? Like how long from when you ran it? A couple of hours, a couple of days? 10 minutes?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 3:13am
Noticable the first start of the day. She is a day boater and rarely goes over an hour between starts when in the water.
1987 Ski Nautique

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 11:33am
I remember a thread a little while ago, where either the fuel pump or the fuel filter assembly was losing prime somehow, and making the first start of the day difficult. Although, I think you said you see fuel when you pump the throttle...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 12:37pm
I was thinking about leak back of fuel myself, but had the same thought wondering if why I would see a shot of fuel with throttle pumps. I have not changed the fuel filter/separator in three years either. I picked up a new one yesterday. I will check the plugs and see if a working choke and new filter make any difference. then go from there.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 1:12pm
You would see fuel discharge from the accelerator pump because its diaphragm refills as soon as you pull the throttle back and maybe in your case when the bowl is still full. If the fuel level drops after shut down their will be fuel still in it. You would have to see if it keeps pumping multiple times say the next day,or just get some extra float bowel mounting screw gaskets, remove one of the lower screws and see how much fuel comes out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 10:56pm
I was unable to get the choke working properly with the parts on my spare carb, but I do have it in a accidentally great manual mode where it stays either fully closed or open with a finger flip. I need to try it cold a few more times, but the first start with full chock reduced the crank time from lots of pumps and about 45 seconds to two pumps and three. seconds. Also replaced the fuel filter After the choke experiment. Time will tell.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic