Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Broken flex plate?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken flex plate?
    Posted: June-27-2015 at 12:30am
Anyone ever experience a broken flex plate? My 85 2001 started making ugly knocking / popping sounds last Wednesday and I was told it could be a broken flex plate , or a thrown rod in my 454 engine. I'm thinking (ok hoping) it's he flex plate not the rod as I believe it would be an easier / less costly repair.
So does anyone know how to diagnose this short of completely dismantling it?
Please help, summer is here in Maine and I want my boat running.
2006 BMW R1200RT
1970-ish Chang Jiang Sidecar rig
1989 Kawasaki EX500 Track bike
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 8:36am
Bill,
Chances are high that the problem is just a damper plate. Run a compression check and that should confirm the problem isn't a rod. The Sachs damper is the best and they run about $100. The engine doesn't need to come out for the damper. With the aft mounts disconnected and the forward mounts loosened, the engine can be tilted forward using a couple bottle jacks under the manifolds. Report back with what you find.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 9:10am
That 10-18 gets real heavy/real quick at a certain point. The SN hull will help I'd guess.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 8:35pm
Although the difference between a thrown rod and a broken damper is only slight.

Usually a thrown rod will show other symptoms like a starter motor problem.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 12:04am
Please clarify your response, my starter is cranking slower than prior to the onset of this problem I need answers not clever replies or sarcasm .
2006 BMW R1200RT
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
RobertV View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 1:31am
Did you get to the compression check yet?
I trashed a drive/damper plate on one of my Crusader 454 in my big boat and it sound like the bottom end was coming apart. I didn't initially know what the issue was, but saw the external cracks in my bell housing and tore it apart to find half the springs out of the drive plate and a ruined bell housing. I know it's not the same as your setup since I have v-drives in that boat, but I bet it is what is wrong.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 6:57am
Bill,
By chance, have you been doing a lot of starting/stopping of the engine listening at the sound trying to figure out the problem? For a quick check on your slow cranking, check the volts on the battery and starter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 9:31am
Originally posted by gpzstar gpzstar wrote:

Please clarify your response, my starter is cranking slower than prior to the onset of this problem I need answers not clever replies or sarcasm .

Lighten up.....maybe the thrown rod has knocked your starter motor out of alignment
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 9:41am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bill,
By chance, have you been doing a lot of starting/stopping of the engine listening at the sound trying to figure out the problem? For a quick check on your slow cranking, check the volts on the battery and starter.

Yes , and I have been swapping in freshly charged batteries , volts are ~11.8 to 12 v/dc
Hence my concern it's actually a motor issue not the flex plate. Pissing down rain here in Maine today so no compression test. There's a local guy that runs a Marina nearby that does "dock calls" going to see if he can drop by this week and help diagnose the problem and will go from there.
Keep my fingers crossed its the flex plate.....
2006 BMW R1200RT
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 9:48am

I have been swapping in freshly charged batteries , volts are ~11.8 to 12 v/dc

You must be using old crappy batteries. Run a load test on them. A fully charged 12V with be 12.7 to 12.8 and hopefully none of them are deep cycles.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 9:52am
Did your oil pressure change from what it was before the noise started. Rod or main bearing failures usually result in oil pressure going down especially at idle as the clearances between the crankshaft journal and bearing increase. Flex plate noises are typically a higher pitched more metallic rapping type noise, while a rod bearing will have a lower pitched knocking noise.

11.8 to 12V open circuit voltage on a battery indicates its at about 25% of battery capacity, you really want to see about another 1/2 volt higher.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 3:06pm
Pulling the Velvet drive is about an hour job on your boat. I would pull it but I would not put bottle jacks under the manifolds as offered above as this could create new issues. Find an engine crane which will lift the rear of the engine up and pull off the velvet drive. You can then inspect the plate. I have done a few over the years for customers and it is not that hard of a job.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 3:10pm
Terry,
What are the issues with the bottle jacks? I as well as many have used the method.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 3:23pm
On a 454 no thanks. Seen enough cracked manifolds in my day to not help them out. A Cherry picker can be rented from most parts stores for $25. I have a bunch of issues with the bottle jack idea. I assume you are putting it at the rear edge of the manifold ? Getting bolts out of the way as well as wrestling the Velvet out of the way with bottle jack teetering on the edge. Sounds like a trip to the ER in training. Not putting pressure on the corner of a glassed over 30 year old stringer either. Just my .02 . I would rather use a come along and strong tree branch first but choose the correct tool for my safety.
gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 3:31pm
Thank you, great advice, I assume the boat will have to come out of the water then??
Probably way easier access to tools etc, plus should anything go south it's eaiser to have it closer to the tools.
2006 BMW R1200RT
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 3:48pm
Boat out of waster yes. Easier and safer for all involved. Pics of the boat would be great. Rare bird with a 454 in it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by ultrahots ultrahots wrote:

On a 454 no thanks. Seen enough cracked manifolds in my day to not help them out. A Cherry picker can be rented from most parts stores for $25. I have a bunch of issues with the bottle jack idea. I assume you are putting it at the rear edge of the manifold ? Getting bolts out of the way as well as wrestling the Velvet out of the way with bottle jack teetering on the edge. Sounds like a trip to the ER in training. Not putting pressure on the corner of a glassed over 30 year old stringer either. Just my .02 . I would rather use a come along and strong tree branch first but choose the correct tool for my safety.

Terry,
You've seen cracked manifolds from using bottle jacks? The front engine mounts are still in place so the engine doesn't teeter. If your stringers can't handle the base of a bottle jack, then they can't handle the engine mounts ether. The problem with the stringers should be addressed. I sure wouldn't say a tree branch is a " "correct tool" BTW, after the engine is tilted, I always set it down on a piece of wood at the keel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 5:03pm

Thank you, great advice, I assume the boat will have to come out of the water then??
Probably way easier access to tools etc, plus should anything go south it's eaiser to have it closer to the tools.

Yes, with bottle jacks, it can be done in the water. You aren't disturbing the prop shaft. On a lift or in the boat house would be more stable. I did one in the boat house when it was -20. A tarp and electric heater made it more comfortable but damn, the metal was still cold!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 2:13am
I would never attempt this repair in the water if on a trailer was an option. Could it be done like that ? Sure I will bite. But WHY ?

Pete. Most of the posts I see by you are "By The Book" . Why attempt this repair in the water with crude methods at best. As I stated and I will stand by my comments this repair should be done on land with the correct tools, and not floating using bottle jacks. I would be more worried about the bottle jacks slipping as you are trying to get the velvet drive out of the way. Add possible waves and weather to this just seems out of sorts for you to even entertain. I understand you will not be holding all the weight up with the bottle jacks but old cast iron manifolds being used as a lifting device ? In an emergency..... Possibly. If I could do the job correctly with less of a chance of injury...My first choice.

Engine Hoist & Dry Land on Trailer = No Trip to the ER.

My comment above was I would rather use a Tree Branch than a pair of bottle jacks. It may not read like that but I think you got the idea.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 10:05am
I used a scissor jack under the manifold, then blocked with some 2x4 under the oil pan. Wasn't unsafe at all.

Agree that it should be on land. Who wants to carry a tranny up a dock runway?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 10:20am
We may be talking about different scenarios. Like most, I can detrans a windsor ford anywhere, mounts are in the middle of the engine in most modern marinizations. The 454 has its mounts adjacent to the second jug, and requires some more preparation about the extra leverage it exerts..
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 1:43pm
I think you are correct. Most have not seen this powerplant in one before so here is a pic for you to consider.

There is no stringer under the rear of the manifold to lift with a jack. The rear of the actual manifold is rounded so you will not be using this to lift either.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 7:07am
Bill,
Have you found the problem yet? Have you load tested the batteries you are using and made sure they aren't deep cycles?
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I have been swapping in freshly charged batteries , volts are ~11.8 to 12 v/dc

You must be using old crappy batteries. Run a load test on them. A fully charged 12V with be 12.7 to 12.8 and hopefully none of them are deep cycles.

With the slow crank, they sure could be giving you the wrong idea that you broke a rod. I leaning towards the damper plate. The poorly constructed (not Sachs) can make a pretty big mess inside the bell housing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 11:15pm
Still no concise diagnosis, local marina guy wants to remove the trans to see if it's the flex plate or a rod / wrist pin or other expensive motor type repair.
Going to get trailer into somewhat road worthy shape then pull the boat.
Figure this going to be a no boat summer.
Anyone have a ballpark figure of what I could get for it as is? Interior has some mold but is completely intact , hull is good with some whitening on the decals. I would say its a 6.5 out of 10...
There's this nice 65 Mustang right down the road ....
2006 BMW R1200RT
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by ultrahots ultrahots wrote:

Boat out of waster yes. Easier and safer for all involved. Pics of the boat would be great. Rare bird with a 454 in it.

Don't know how to get pics uploaded to forums , and yeah I'm an engineer ,but for some reason these forums confound me...
2006 BMW R1200RT
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 11:23pm

Don't know how to get pics uploaded to forums , and yeah I'm an engineer ,but for some reason these forums confound me...

Use the "post reply" and not the "quick reply". Click on the tree with the up arrow icon.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 11:29pm
Bill,
A quick high jack question. Would you use a diode or a RC network across a switch contact that's welding itself together? The switch is rated for 50 A with a 25 A inductive 12 V DC load but I've gone though 2 that welded together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 12:37am
Where in Maine?
gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 9:51am
Originally posted by steve600 steve600 wrote:

Where in Maine?

Waterford , Maine , western foothills near Norway
2006 BMW R1200RT
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 9:52am
Originally posted by steve600 steve600 wrote:

Where in Maine?
Waterford
2006 BMW R1200RT
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic