Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Friday Folly ~~~~

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friday Folly ~~~~
    Posted: June-19-2015 at 4:59pm
So ~~~~ finally finished the outside painting and got my new decals on yesterday, and we were (emphasis on "were') headed out to the lake this afternoon.

As I was looking at the drain plug holes ~ I noticed that the hole on the port side of the engine block didn't seem to have any visible threads for the nut to lock down onto..... Sure enough ~ when I attempted to put the nut on, it would not lock down.

Is there a quick way re-thread this hole myself? My weekend is counting on it!
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
Stringer replacement job completed July 3 2014.
Exterior painted June 2015.
The Trailer is next.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 5:02pm
Sure you're looking at the right hole?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 5:09pm
That's what she said.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 5:17pm
This is the port side drain hole plug.....[hopefully not upside down this time]

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 5:35pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVnN4jiB7Gk

Thinking of going in this direction ~~~~
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 5:45pm
seems like there's plenty of meat there to upsize the tap
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

seems like there's plenty of meat there to upsize the tap
+1
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 6:00pm
Since NPT is tapered. I think just run the same 1/4" NPT tap a little deeper and you can get a new pipe plug to bite.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 6:12pm
I gotta agree with Gotta.    Run a 1/4" pipe tap, then install your plug with 2 or 3 wraps of teflon tape.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 6:36pm
Brass plug is best too, won't rust to the block threads like old one apparently did.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2015 at 12:55am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

I gotta agree with Gotta.    Run a 1/4" pipe tap, then install your plug with 2 or 3 wraps of teflon tape.

Went to NAPA, and they said exactly the same thing you guys suggested about cleaning out the existing tap ~ without making it bigger. Bought the pipe tap for the same sized hole.... and new plugs. Put the tap in the holes, applied the Teflon tape, and no leaking ~ so I took it out.

After a long warm up, I ran it for about 20 minutes at 2000 rpm, and drove to a little cove to watch the sun set.. All gauges ran normal. On the way home, I opened it up ~ to 34mph ~ for a couple of minutes. A few minutes later, when I was docking, the TEMP light came on. ;(

2 steps forward ~ 1 back..... but man, what a great sunset.

So I guess, I'll follow the usual steps to troubleshoot the overheating.... Impeller, etc.?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2015 at 12:43pm
Mine gets a new one every year so I don't have to mess with it when the lake is glass and the lake lice are waking up.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2015 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Mine gets a new one every year so I don't have to mess with it when the lake is glass and the lake lice are waking up.

Well ~ think I found the problem.

and

Question is, "do I need to do some "xplor'in" to clear any blockages?"

I gave a half hearted attempt at checking the t-stat, but the hoses would not budge after the tension on the hose fasteners/ clamps were released , so rather than risk tearing up existing hose, I figured I'd ask for opinions first.

Keep in mind, the boat ran fine all evening, and the Temp light came on at idle at the end.....(after the initial warm-up) did not idle much after that until coming back to the dock..

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic