Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trailering, and rain is forecast - options?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
terminaldegree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terminaldegree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailering, and rain is forecast - options?
    Posted: May-28-2015 at 5:15pm
I wanted to poll the collective wisdom of the forum here. We're about to trailer (repositioning the boat for the season) 1000 miles, and the weather forecast is for rain for the majority of our 2-day drive.

The boat has a mooring cover with a few straps that attach to the trailer on either side, but no support poles for inside the boat. I've never trailered this boat with the cover on at highway speeds, either. There isn't a marine store within 100 miles of my location that would have any cover related hardware or accessories, either.

Would you just leave the boat open, get soaked, and dry everything off later? Or, would you attach the cover, cinch everything down tight, and hope for the best? Other options?

Thanks for your input. I've been dealing with other boat and work-related projects and this one fell by the wayside. Now I'm out of time and have to leave in the morning...
1996 Sport Nautique GT40/Acme 422
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 5:22pm
i have a cover that snaps on the rub rail, i tow with that almost always. it keeps life jackets towels and the dog from falling out.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 5:42pm
Also depends on the boat. If it's old there's not much harm in rain. Newer boats have more sensitive electronic components. If there is a highway speed road nearby perhaps you could take a test ride today with the cover and then tweak with more straps or rope as necessary.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 5:55pm
I would do a test ride at 70mph.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 6:22pm
Have it shrink wrapped for the trip
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 6:31pm
Just throw a few extra straps on her and clinch her down! Keep your eyes on it.

Zach,
The red Westland trailer cover you sold me is still holding up nicely! it was actually Sunbrella when they made in Phoenix...
terminaldegree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terminaldegree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 6:41pm
Thanks for the posts, so far.

An update: I just remembered that I bought a factory snap-in bow cover from Zach. Save for 3 misaligned snaps, it all lines up and fits tight as a drum. (I would feel comfortable towing with it on). That would keep the rain out of the bow, and blowing through to the helm area.

So, now I have 3 options:

1. leave it all open and dry it out upon arrival.
2. snap in the bow cover and put the mooring cover on when we stop for the night.
3. use the mooring cover, given the limitations of the current setup.

(Sorry, Quinner, shrink-wrapping is not possible in this time-frame. I have to leave in the morning, as I have a job on the other end that's time-sensitive...good idea, though!)
1996 Sport Nautique GT40/Acme 422
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 6:48pm
I'd put the mooring cover on, few extra straps and then grab those cargo net bungee ordeals from harbor freight and put that over it. The bungee nets really help keep the fabric from sucking up.
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 6:58pm
I trailered mine open in the pouring rain a few weeks ago and it was only for about 70 miles and it was a complete mess. I will never trailer in the rain open again.... My whole boat was covered in nasty wet road sludge.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 6:58pm
Drive faster then the rain ;)

Have a Safe Trip!!
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 7:01pm
I''d do 2 & 3. With extra straps
if you find its flapping too much just take off the cover mid trip and stash it under the bow cover
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 8:53pm
Its a boat. Made to get wet. Leave it open.
I would obviously not leave anything that could blow out or be damaged in the rain (READ: WIFE, KIDS) and leave the bilge plug out.
Keep this in mind, I remember a few years ago, "Salty" was heading down to Saint Johns River Run, and had a cover on his gorgeous yellow Martinique. When he was 3/4 way down, he realized that the cover was "flapping" at the back, cutting, marking and making mayhem, out of site of the rear view mirrors!
Leave it open and have a safe trip. Make sure your tires and bearings are good.
Js
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 10:12pm
I would also leave it open. A dirty boat can be cleaned.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 10:50pm
When the time comes, you will know what to do...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 10:52pm
I totally agree with the above comments about leaving it open. I will NOT cover my wood or glass boats. Yes, you can have the best custom cover made in the world and there is always a chance it will come undone and flap around. I've seen several wood boats with damage to beautiful bright work and even past into the wood. These were from custom "trailerable covers and even one was fleece lined costing well over 1k!! Let it rain but as mentioned, do remove the garboard plug.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 11:12pm
That's why I asked my question on the age of the boat.

have never towed my boats with a cover, including one 1000 mile trip, but they are old so no harm could occur. There was, however, a thread not long ago where someone had towed a newer boat uncovered, and subsequently had damage to some of the electronic doo-dad's, so thought it was worth mentioning the age factor, as it seems most boats on here are newer.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 5:20am
I've trailered with and without a tie down cover on my boat.
I prefer to trailer without though, that cover can become a nightmare if it starts loosening etc. My cover also tended to collect air and become a sail. some serious added wind resistance

and its a boat it gets wet in normal use.

my 2c
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 7:03am
I'd leave it off, I once towed my previous boat with a trailerable cover and all it did was chafe the cover and wear the paint off the corners of the transom (aluminum boat).
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 7:29am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

uncovered, and subsequently had damage to some of the electronic doo-dad's,

I feel it's sad with such a high cost of the "doo-dad" boats that they build them without much thought to moisture resistance. The electronics in a marine environment should have a IP66 rating.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 9:21am
My vote is to trailer it with the cover off. I'd rather deal with the boat being soaked then have to deal with gelcoat rash if the cover isn't snugged down all the way. My cover is trailerable but I hardly ever use it that way. I rotate the tow mirror parallel to the ground so that I can see thru the boat when I look in my rearview mirror. I've left the plug in a couple times and hauled extra weight a couple hundred miles during downpours. Washed out the bilge real good but that weight MOVES back and forth when you start and stop. Nearly got to the bottom of the oil pan there was so much.

If your destination is sunny the boat will dry quickly than you think. Safe travels and enjoy your Vaca!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 10:28am
Well if anyone has seen me roll they know I go over the top with covering my boats when traveling BUT I have spent a lot of money for covers that allow me to do that and even then I take extra precautions.

My 2012 boat has a factory trailering cover. I always use it. with a threat of rain. I'm not really worried about electronics as much as I am just completely soaking the interior plus the road crap ends up everywhere.

My wood boat has a custom travel cover which I use again if rain is iminent or I am going more than a few hours away but I actually shrink wrap the boat , then place blankets on and then cinch the cover down over the blankets.

In your case I would NOT cover it and just go. You will either damage the cover / boat or possibly both. A flapping cover can do major damage in a very short period of time.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

.... When he was 3/4 way down, he realized that the cover was "flapping" at the back, cutting, marking and making mayhem, out of site of the rear view mirrors!

(sound up)
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 11:46am
hahahaha
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 12:41pm
that is hilarious! thanks for the laugh this morning.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 2:01pm
It's simple...
Leave the boat at home and
buy another one when you reach your destination.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 5:01am
1000 plus miles home

No Cover is my vote.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 3:25am
Hopefully he chose correctly... and remembered to pull drainplug
   we may never know!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic