NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Calling for all fish Nautique numbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling for all fish Nautique numbers
    Posted: May-27-2015 at 8:54am
No i dont want your phone numbers. (i already found them)
Can we start a thread showing peoples fuel burn, speed, WOT, running gear, prop size etc, etc?
I know everyone with a Fish has google searched for this before and it always winds up with hours or reading and researching before coming up with no definitive answer.

I'm splashing this weekend and i 'm going to gather some real numbers before i order my new wheel. I'm looking to keep this thread simple, maybe post a picture of what your running since Every fish out there seems to be outfitted differently,
I've seen T tops, radar arches, mini fly bridges, seating in the bow, open bow, tanks in the floor, tank in the stern. batteries aft, batteries forward. etc etc.
running with full tank, empty, ice box full? live well full? trim tabs?

ANY information your willing to share will help me, and every other Fish owner in the future to make decisions on what wheel to run, or anything else.

I'll start and fill in the blanks once i launch.
-1979 Fish
-351W approx 260 hp? no idea really
-not sure the gear ratio
-13x9 Oj
-T Top
-open deck
-Fuel tank aft 75 gals
-Batteries aft lazaret
-cruise speed......@......RPM (on plane)
-WOT speed .......@ .....RPM
-Approx fuel burn........... GPH @..........RPM

anyways, i think this is some good info to share between these boats because of all the differences between them and now that everyone isn't quite running the factory propellers its good to share.
-Tony

1988 Barefoot nautique-454
john_33612 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_33612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 10:37am
524 is the only one , and delta with the CCF discount is the only place to buy it
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 12:13pm
Tony:

Check that fuel tank capacity on your chart. Just pulled my Fish's tank to replace it and mine has an 85 gallon capacity. Perhaps they changed tank designs between the 79 and 86 models? We will not be launching until maybe Labor day, bottom painted this past weekend, will be installing new power, drive, fuel tank, electronics, and re-working all the thru hull connections before we splash it. Will post up then with performance numbers.

Steve
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 2:16am
I wish there was a one prop fixes all, but especially in the case of the fish and the different uses and rigging options, I dont see how one prop can work for all boats.
the BFN and SN use different wheels for different sports and to attain a certain speed or holeshot.

these things came with 454, 351, 350. in all different HP ranges and have been repowered over the years.

Also some people are filling with ice, gear scuba equipment, people etc.
Thats why i am trying to get different perspectives on everyone's current and previous setups.

John if the 524 works for you.
post up what setup are you running and what rpm, speeds, cargo, etc?
share with us. ("us" being fellow Fish owners)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_33612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 10:31am
only choice you have is 13x11.50 or 13 x10.50 in the acme , 10.50 maybe if your running super heavy , 11.50 works perfect for normal loads , moved my batteries forward , helped get the front down , can sit and drive now , before had to stand to see , don't have tabs 2700 RPM = 24 MPH , that's with a prop guard , stock 351 , gets on plane better and much smoother
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 11:57pm
John tabs are a must on this boat. You can make your ride much more comfortable in different sea conditions.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2015 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by jblocal jblocal wrote:

John tabs are a must on this boat. You can make your ride much more comfortable in different sea conditions.

I agree with that one. especially those of us with the fuel tanks out back.

Wanted to update, My first splash this season went well, bilge pump got some use because the sea strainer was leaking a little, (was expected with the cracked cover)

There was a pretty good sea on saturday so i didnt really mess with the trim tabs at all, they stayed cocked and locked in the upright position during my tests.

in MPH not KNTs
with the OJ 13x9
3800 @ 25MPH
WOT I hit 4300 @ 29.5

4 people aboard, 3/4 tank and two coolers.

edit*
john looks like your running 1000 rpm less with that acme than i am with mine, what are you getting @ WOT for rpm and speeds?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_33612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2015 at 10:26pm
don't know what top speed is , scared run a 30 year old engine wfo , 2800 rpm =25 mph , between the new prop and moving the batteries it gets on plane much better and runs much flatter
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2015 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by john_33612 john_33612 wrote:

scared run a 30 year old engine wfo , 2800 rpm =25 mph

I run my 61 year old, 51 year old and 38 year old engines WOT without any worries! Is there something that worries you about the engine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 1:40am
I would love to be in that rpm with that speed, I do not want to be cruising it at 4000 rpm on a daily basis, so i typically run it about the 25mph but its always a more pleasurable ride when i get it closer to 30, also dryer of a ride. I don't blame you for not wanting to wind her up, things can go from bad to worse out there real quick if you can't move under your own power.
What HP is your 351? and where did you stick the batteries? in the hatch in front of the console?
I'm pretty sure if I get the acme 13x9 I will be in better shape than i am now because my wheel is tired. but i still don't think it will be in the range i want to be.
But if i were to bump up to the 13 10.5 or 11.5 i'm afraid that I will not be able to make WOT rpms and be pushing it a little more than i want.
going to be giving them a shout over to Delta this week and see what they think.
I havent a clue what i'm running for HP either i figure its at least 240, but it might be more. so it makes it hard for the prop shop to come up with accurate numbers.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_33612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 8:44am
moved batteries from over stuffing box to front of big hatch in the floor , 2 optima 31 yellow tops , 65 lbs each , blems from interstate for $80 each , 1/0 wire , 3 runs , so switch stays in the back , 30 foot total at $ 1.75 a foot , go with the 524 and leave some people home
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 10:57pm
Here are some numbers from this weekend full tank and loaded with ice and gear with 3 adults.

3200 25kt
3500 27kt
4200 35kt

Rough Estimate 1.5 mpg

With the 524# still plenty of power out of the hole.
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 11:25pm

DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 1:14am
great looking fish.
even better numbers, I am going to have to be in that area or i'm going to sell her. I can't live with my current numbers knowing what your pushing with the same engine.
haha.
Did you do the roll and tip method when you awlgripped your hull? happy with the results? I have been amazed with that stuff over the years and love it. Its on my bucket list for my fish.
does your T top lean forward with the console?
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 1:32am
Originally posted by jblocal jblocal wrote:

That is one sweet looking FN.
northstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 8:43am
78 fish
351w 280 ish horsepower
federal 3 blade 13 x 15 prop
3200 rpm 34 mph
4200 rpm 44 mph
fuel burn is probably 5 to 6 gallons per hour
6 hours ubout 40 gallons
Used as lake boat .cruiser .50 to 70 miles per time out
normally left at 3200 rpm for hours
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 12:19am
Thanks! Tony I believe you are under propped. I sprayed it with 545 primer and awlgrip really happy with the result. Did the whole inside and floor and added nonskid. It takes a pretty good beating and blood cleans up easy. The t-top flips forward with console.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 7:28am
Yeah, looking good!
Js
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 10:34am
northstar those numbers are phenomenal. I have a feeling i'm a little underpowered as well as underpropped after hearing a few of these others.
northstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 5:38pm
I have seen 48 and 49 mph a few times. Cant remember
Rpms but is was around 5000. I try not to turn it that hard but .sometimes I get stupid.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_33612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 2:28pm
Thread: Pleasurecraft repower View Single Post
01-18-2008, 02:09 PM    #5       
bigjimmie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
oneill469 - 1/18/2008 5:57 AM

I have a 351 ford Pleasurecraft inboard in my Fish Nautique. Although it runs great it is only 260 hp and the fish is a heavy boat. I would like to go up in hp to the 300-320 range. What are my options for bigger blocks that will still bolt up to that transmission. Laird

i did a repower in a fish nautique with a 6.0 mpi 375 hp. same gear same shaft
they had a hose that went to the fuel return and a plug converter
the boat was an absolute rocket holeshot was amazing
top speed depending on fuel and passengers was upper 40's
cruise @ 3400 rpms was high 30's

then we did one on a ski nautique with a 5.7 325 hp mpi
same thing was very fast
and ease of insallation was great . i think it was done in 2 days with all the extra work we did
i would never go back to using a ford in any nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 4:09pm
I am going to try and squeeze whatever i can out of this ford before i go that route, Ive already priced it all out and for not much more i can buy the chevy power in a 383 and i think i would go in that direction. but not till this ford hatches.
I have no idea whats in it right now for a cam or heads, it supposedly was a "fresh shortblock" when i got it, which i believe because it was very clean when i pulled the intake and the comp and leak down were right there. The "mechanic" that owned it before me had the thing such a mess between timing, leaking heat exchanger, carb was rubbish, intake was off a car or something and the manifolds and risers were alllll wrong.
so i have a bit invested at this point into this ford, to give up on it now. and to be honest I think the fords are pretty dam good plants. so i'm just going to wait till she blows up haha. maybe a set of heads is in her future.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_33612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 4:23pm
yanmar lh 230 hp , last made in 2006 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhfaNsrD9FA
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 5:31pm
I love diesels, I own a few. and i'll be the first to say repowering this fish with a D would be throwing a lot of money away in a hurry.
But it would be fricken sweet.
I assume thats probably tier 2 if they stopped making them in 2006, which in turn you wouldn't be able to do a re-power with that right now unless you were to find an old stock item somewhere. which is probably pretty hard to find.
anything new would be tier 4 and have to incorporate catylitic converters if i'm not mistaken.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 2:12pm
So i put the 524 on last week and did some testing,It did just about everything i asked of it. Except it brought my WOT RPMs down to 3800. My WOT speed was just shy of 30 knts, cruise around 20knts at 3200 RPM, comes up on plane nicely. ( i dont know the MPH i was doing because i didn't have my electronics on board during initial testing.

So yesterday i fished a small local tournament and had 4 people on board about 100# in the cooler fishing gear and a full tank of fuel. I was cruising around at 3000 RPM range on plane at about 25 MPH most of the day I'm very happy with that for a cruise.

Its almost like its a different boat. maybe it was the way it was loaded up or maybe the characteristics of the new prop but I didnt take a single wave over the bow and it was blowing 15 out of the east. which usually i'm getting a little wet in those conditions.
I'm pleased with the 524 Prop. now i just need a bigger rudder and i'll be happy.
thanks for the recommendations guys.
-Tony
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 9:58pm
You should be able to get higher rpm then that.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 10:14am
I thought so too but i think i may have the wrong cam or something else is happening because i'm just not seeing it. with that prop.
with the 13x9 OJ i was getting about 4200 max @ WOT. so it makes sense it would be down 400 or so from what i had.
oh and heres a picture

TJ59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 10:36pm
Hello . I have a question
TJ59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 10:37pm
Hi
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2019 at 2:20pm
I think I read that this boat had a prop guard on it. This will made the boat a tug boat. Like having a anchor dragging behind you. Good luck on making it fast.
woodyelc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic