Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski drives fast in gear

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
trn448s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trn448s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski drives fast in gear
    Posted: May-23-2015 at 11:28pm
My idle is 500 rpms. Soon as I engage gear my boat produces a wake and runs about 800 rpms right out of gear. Just tapping throttle in gear produces a wake. Constantly getting yelled at in no wake zones. 87 ski nautique 351 carb motor. Flat bottom boat. I have adjusted carb and rebuilt trying to figure this out. After the threats and bad looks I just tell people it's an inboard deal with it. Thoughts other than telling people to piss off. Adjusted timing recently. It's spot on.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2015 at 12:08am
Your throttle cable might be to tight and rev right when you'r in gear.
Neutral on min is about 700 and and in gear it goes down a bit and ou of O push the throttle firther do the revs go up
1994 Sport Nautique
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2015 at 12:14am
Sounds like cables are misadjusted like mentioned above. The transmission should go in gear without any increase or movement in the throttle cable.

With boat off:
Detach the throttle cable at carb.
Put the shifter in gear to the first detent ball.
Then adjust the throttle cable to fit on the carb.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2015 at 12:17am
remove throttle cable at carb
put shifter at neutral,
carb at idle
adjust cable end to extend past idle
re-connect
test
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2015 at 12:37am
Even with it idling 600 in gear, mine will kick up wake.    I alternate f -n to keep the speed down. I have seen other ski boats get ticketed.    The DNR guy doesn't care why your boat goes too fast!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Even with it idling 600 in gear, mine will kick up wake.    I alternate f -n to keep the speed down. I have seen other ski boats get ticketed.    The DNR guy doesn't care why your boat goes too fast!

Tom,
I totally agree with Chris above and I'm sure there are thousands more that agree. Don't go screwing with the carb. There's nothing wrong with it. Are you new to boating?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic