Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351w Timing, Igntion & Overheat - Q&A

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351w Timing, Igntion & Overheat - Q&A
    Posted: May-22-2015 at 8:26am
So I've searched high and low and yet still have some questions about timing my 351w.

All other stories aside I had initially set the timing at 6 deg @ 600 RPM on the trailer. My mechanic said it would probably have to be adjusted once in the water and under load. I took the boat to the lake this past weekend; it started fine, but would cough / backfire under load and wouldn't get above 1500 rpm. I had my timing light with me, but couldn't get a good reading in the midday sun so I ended up timing it by ear. This got it running good enough to make a bunch of ski runs & drive around for the day. Since then I discovered I had plugs 2 & 3 were flip-flopped, I fixed that and now the boat fires right up an runs great. No pinging, no backfiring / coughing, just runs great.

Questions:

1.) If I had it timed to 6 deg @ 600, why was it a dog on the water? Do you have to time it in gear like you set the idle?

2.) Other than the Skidim Plug Wires are there any other suggested / off the shelf plug wires for my Malloy equipped 351w?

3.) Once everything is up and running I could stand to replace the points, or go with the electric ignition conversion. Any recommendations on this?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2015 at 9:13am
You should be closer to 12* on initial timing. 600 rpm in gear you can do this on the trailer pushing against the bow stop. Make sure the advance is working should be all in by about 3000 rpm.
Some guys haven't had problems with the EI conversion some guys have had nothing but problems. You will probably see that a lot of guys here prefer points or go with a electronic distributor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2015 at 9:16am
What should I be looking for at 3000 rpm?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2015 at 9:16am
10-12 initial will run much better. 6 is a recipe for a stumble out of the hole, I don't care what the book says. 36 final is the max, so long as you have at least 32 you're probably not leaving much on the table.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2015 at 9:18am
6 deg is pretty conservative, and can cause it to run like a pig at low RPMs. I run 10 in mine and it still runs good on 87, it could probably go 12-14 with premium but I'm cheap. As gun-driver said, check the advance, I believe it should be 34-36 total by 3000. You'll need a timing light with an advance dial or some timing tape on the balancer.

The 600 RPM figure would be in gear, you shouldn't have the idle set that low in neutral. Idle is typically set for 600-650 in gear. 600 in neutral would be 450-550 in gear, way too low. It'll chug and you can run into oil pressure issues if it gets any lower..

You'll probably have to mess with the mixture screws a bit while you get all this adjusted. If you don't already have one, a vacuum gauge makes all of this much easier because you can dial it in for the highest vacuum reading after you get the timing and idle RPM set.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2015 at 9:32am
   Thankfully I've hit the 600 rpm in gear mark so that's a step in the right direction. I'll try to get over to the lake an check the timing it in the water.   Based on how much I turned the distributor and having it initially set at 6 deg I'd be willing to bet I'm pretty close.
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2015 at 10:52am
Your mechanic gave you some bad information. “My mechanic said it would probably have to be adjusted once in the water and under”

The advance works on centrifugal force. Under load or in the water is not important. You can set the initial timing on the trailer if you want. Typically they won’t start advancing until you get to 1000RPM (enough centrifugal force to overcome the springs). Just make sure to set the initial timing (10 to 12 BTDC) at an RPM low enough (600 RPM would be great) so the distributor is not advancing.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2015 at 11:26am
Ditto, concur with all the replies
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2015 at 8:38pm
Andy,
Find a new mechanic. I concur with the others he doesn't know what he's talking about. Sounds like a back yard hack that doesn't know the difference between vacuum and mechanical advance. I would not let him touch my boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2015 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Some guys haven't had problems with the EI conversion some guys have had nothing but problems. You will probably see that a lot of guys here prefer points .

+ on a point set. No on the conversions!
Andy,
What are you expecting to gain with a conversion? Hopefully that "mechanic" you have isn't recommending it!!! Wait, maybe he doesn't know how to set dwell???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2015 at 11:07pm
Boy Pete that seems a little harsh for someone you've never met. It may be hard to believe, but we all didn't come out of the womb with total inboard knowledge like yourself. At no time did I say he was a paid professional, just someone who knows more about V-8's then I do. That being said we're both learning here so I'd appreciate it if we'd keep the focus on the problem.

As for my timing: I fired it up in the driveway and it seems my "by ear" tune landed at 12-13 deg @ 600 rpm. I dialed it back to 10-11 (hard to see in the sun still) and plan on rechecking & resetting in the lake tomorrow AM.

As for the electronic ignition I saw them wile perusing Skidim and figured I'd ask.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2015 at 11:38pm
I have heard that if dead set to put a conversion in that that the Mallory E Sparks are the best. Accel conversions,other than color look to be the same. Pertronix seem to have problems lately.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2015 at 7:33am
Originally posted by LeftFieldEngineering LeftFieldEngineering wrote:

Boy Pete that seems a little harsh for someone you've never met. It may be hard to believe, but we all didn't come out of the womb with total inboard knowledge like yourself. At no time did I say he was a paid professional, just someone who knows more about V-8's then I do. .

Andy,
Sorry that You feel I was harsh but you said he was your "mechanic" and didn't add any other description. A better description other than just mechanic would have been helpful to myself as well as others.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 10:12am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

A better description other than just mechanic would have been helpful to myself as well as others.

Noted.

As for the boat: It ran pretty good this weekend. Still a few carb based issues, but they should be fixed when the reman unit arrives.

Next project will be tackling a high temp / overheat at barefoot speed. I have a new 143 degree thermostat along with new impeller, strainer and hoses. The boat reads just shy of 160 on the gauge (145 with IR thermometer on intake) and will maintain this temp at idle and speeds up 30. Take it up to 43+ for a barefoot lake lap and it climbs to 200. Back off to 30 or below and it returns right back to 160ish. Everything is new, so I'm hoping it's just a not-so-tight hose clamp.    I'll be inspecting the impeller, checking the cooler for blockage, looking for air leaks & tightening everything w/ a ratchet this week.

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 11:36am
Hose connections aren't your problem anymore. You have a blockage or a marginal impeller. Check the condition of the impeller or blockage in the cooler. If that's OK you could have had an impeller frag on you and now pieces are lodged downstream from the RWP. Usually the thermostat housing.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 3:15pm
I just had the t-stat housing apart the other day installing a new gasket and it all looked clean, but I’ll definitely take another look.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 2:52pm
I pulled the RWP last night, impeller looks like the day I put it in there. The strainer also looks good. I plan on pulling the cooler hose later, but I'm not holding my breath. It's a new motor, new hoses and the assembly has only seen 1 impeller which is perfectly intact. Like all my other problems I'm sure it's going to be a hard find.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 10:26pm
Is the impeller a Sierra?
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 11:20pm
I know you said you took the pump off and the impellor looked fine. Did you look on the suction side where the water enters the housing.

I had the same symptoms you had, found a bunch of small fragments of the previous impellor lodged there.

Still your finger up there and see if its partially plugged with debris. Or if it still off give it a visual inspection.            
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 12:19am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

+1 They are known to be a problem. Stick with the OEM.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 1:57am
you say it gets hot as your get into the higher rpms, I have to ask, what oil are you running? and are you running an oil cooler?

also i read someone mention accel for ignition parts. In my opinion, they make a decent internally resisted coil, i have not used their distributors but do not use accel wires. they are rubbish. I have watched brand new sets leak while on the dyno. We would always send customers home with them still in the box and suggest they get some msd or OEM.
-Tony
1988 Barefoot nautique-454

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 7:59am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

+1 They are known to be a problem. Stick with the OEM.

I'm an idiot, I misread. I did order 2 sherwood replacements.

Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

I know you said you took the pump off and the impellor looked fine. Did you look on the suction side where the water enters the housing.

I had the same symptoms you had, found a bunch of small fragments of the previous impellor lodged there.

Still your finger up there and see if its partially plugged with debris. Or if it still off give it a visual inspection.            

I took everything off:   Inlet to strainer, strainer, strainer to cooler, cooler to heater return wye, heater wye to RWP, RWP, RWP to T.stat, and both T.stat to exhaust hoes ALL CLEAN. I also climbed under the boat and checked the pickup grate and it too is clean

I removed the heater return WYE (the one from Skidim) when I reassembled, we'll see if that was causing any restriction / leakage and tightened everything back up.

Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

you say it gets hot as your get into the higher rpms, I have to ask, what oil are you running? and are you running an oil cooler?

also i read someone mention accel for ignition parts. In my opinion, they make a decent internally resisted coil, i have not used their distributors but do not use accel wires. they are rubbish. I have watched brand new sets leak while on the dyno. We would always send customers home with them still in the box and suggest they get some msd or OEM.
-Tony

5w-30 w/ no oil cooler.

My plan is to get out and re-test it tomorrow night. I want to pinpoint the rpm range it starts to heat up.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 8:03am
Overheat at speed is a pump or impeller problem (if not a blockage). Order the proper Sherwood and I bet the problem goes away.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 8:22am
what RPM are you planning to run at most of the time? roughly.
If you plan to do a lot of footin and having that thing spun up more often than not i would be more inclined to run something like a 15w40 or even 20w50.
I run 20w50 in my windsor. when I had the 5w30 in her it would get hot if i loaded it up or got into 3800+ rpm. I switched to the 20W50 with zddp and i have never looked back.
I'm also running an oil cooler.

Are you sure your not jetted too lean? That will make it get hot in a hurry.   
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 8:58am
this is the first i've read of the sherwood pumps being bad. but yes, i would start there if that is the case.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 9:07am
The issue is in using a non Sherwood impeller
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 9:13am
I'd say 25% footin, 35% wakeboard / ski, 40% idle (evening cruising).

Since I'm still running the old carb there's a possibility its leaning out at some point. The reman carb will be here and installed tomorrow.

Another thing I should add. This past weekend we made 2 barefoot runs, the first was 1.8 miles and the boat didn't heat up that much (relatively) apx 180 deg on the dash. Knowing I wanted to measure temps I pulled out the IR thermometer and checked the intake next to the sensor pickup and it was 175 deg and the T-stat outlet (going to the U bend) and it was 119 deg (coldest I've ever measured it at the t-stat outlet). It had cooled down to 145-150 by the time we idled over to the kick-skis.

The 2nd run was almost 2x as long at 3.5 miles and that one heated up to apx 230 on the dash, and 180-200 on the intake. It also returned to 145-150 within a min.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 9:18am
CORRECTION I just double checked my order for the impellers. They are Sherwood 09959K

So, seeing as its a good Sherwood impeller any ideas where to go from here?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 12:36pm
While searching I came across this thread Engine Temp Fluctuation post 8 by TX Foilhead said the PCM thermostat opens all at once and the NAPA variant opens slowly. I did install the NAPA thermostat a week or so ago. It says it's "Replaces OEM Name & # : Crusader 97631, Pleasurecraft RP026002E" Which is the Pleasurecraft part number listed at NautiqueParts.com. Could this have anything to do with the problem?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 2:50pm
What water pump did the motor come with? I assume your turning the motor righty is the engine pump bi directional?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic