Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Taking boat of trailer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bam3352 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bam3352 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking boat of trailer
    Posted: May-18-2006 at 7:48pm
I want to paint the bottom of my '74 mustang. What is the best way to get the boat off of the trailer so I can paint the bottom.

Thanks,
Andrew
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 9:22pm
Lower the front of your trailer all the way down as far as you can. This will raise the back of the boat. Now you can place some blocks on both sides of the boat a few inches forward of the transom. Now start raising (cranking)the front your trailer.This step will lift the rear end of the boat off the trailer. Now you just need to use a jack and some blocks under the keel (towards the front) and start pulling the trailer forward. When the trailer cross members hit the jack, you will need a second jack behind it. Then keep alternating the jacks until the trailer is out. Be sure to have some wood or something soft between the blocks and the hull to protect it from scratching(obviously). If that doesnt make sense just call me. My number is 513-300-0214.

Scott
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 11:22pm
Scott's method is great, and I've done it similarly as well. However, I'd say the "best" way if you intend to paint the entire bottom is to use the lifting rings. Then you can paint the bottom without haveing blocks touching the bottom.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 9:32am
I am about to do it too...want to put new buck carpet on...I was going to start it as mentioned , but pull the front end up with an engine hoist using the lift ring, remove trailer and block the front. Should work , because the hoist should be able to handle the bow weight.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 9:40am
Yes that will work..that is how I do it. Most people don't have a hoist, so I didn't mention it.
Scott
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 3:29pm
Scott...thats good to know...now I am confident!
stang

The Super Air

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 3:47pm
stang,
will the "feet" on your engine hoist be in the way of the trailer tires? With the lift ring being centered in the width of the bow, the cherry picker will be under the trailer a ways?

You can come up and use my overhead I beam if you want! Or ...in the "old days" I took the boat out to the marina on a weekday, put the boat in the water , and re-carpeted the bunks in the shade on the grass...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 3:57pm
Stang

If you are going to use one of those small portable lifts, you probably will have problems. It's a 15-20 min. job doing it with jacks..that won't kill ya.
I like the shade tree method!
Scott
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 4:13pm

I did my bunks that way a few weekends ago. I was by myself and tied the boat up at the ramp. Where I launch there is only room to tie up 3 boats and mine was there for 30 minutes unattended. Think I made a few people mad at me but they'll get over it.It wasn't too busy so I didn't feel that bad. 30 minute job when the pressure's on.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 4:30pm
Hay Stang

Make it worth the effort...Paint the trailer while your at it. And clean the bottom of your boat too.
Scott
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 5:30pm
For sure the bottom is getting buffed...paint will come later this summer when I go up to Minn. for a couple weeks...the boat will be on a hoist....but , I must change the bunk carpet asap!

Dah...of course the feet of the hoist will be in the way....I guess it will be Alans method!
What the H-ll was I thinking
stang

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic