NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ethanol free but 87 octane

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethanol free but 87 octane
    Posted: May-10-2015 at 9:19am
Was excited to find ethanol free gas right on the way home from the lake yesterday. Did not pay good attention. It hit me this morning that I did not look at the octane rating when I filled up.
Topped off the 30 gallon tank on my 93 Sport with 15 gallons of ethanol free gas, but it was 87 octane instead of 90.
Have the 351, carb, HO Pro Boss.
Should I add an octane boost? Or just run it out?
Going back to the lake today for more sun and skiing!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 9:48am
Unless you have changed the timing that boat should jhave no problems whatsoever on87 octane.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 10:28am
No timing changes Joe.
Did have probably 7-10 gallons of 90 0ctane ethanol in it..
Going to give it a go this morning.
thanks!
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 10:59am
Maybe I'm just lucky . I have used regular pump gas the cheapest I could find in my boats and cars since the early 80s . With lead without lead with ethanol and without., I haven't had any engine problems or fuel related problems . I beginning to think all this concern about fuel is similar to finding Bigfoot or man made global warming. I hear lots of talk about it but not much on fact..
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 11:11am
My wife filled my camaro (LS 3 engine and some mods) up with 87.
While an EFI (not carb) no issue at all. Ran the tank dry filled up with 93 and pulled the memory chip to wipe the lower fuel setting, all good.
While folks claim to feel a difference, I never felt it (maybe on the dyno but could not find anybody that actually did that)....my buttometer is not that sensitive so weather its 460hp or 440hp due to fuel, who cares, its fast/loud enough
So your fine, run it like you stile it
(Btw will only be out 2-3 hrs today but maybe I'll see ya on Lanier)
1994 Sport Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 12:48pm
I've been using octane booster from Klotz Racing:

http://www.klotzlube.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?IID=17

Great stuff. I've used it in dirt bikes, high-performance chainsaws and my Ski Nautique. I keep a bottle in my tow vehicle to use for just such a purpose.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
xarmypilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

Maybe I'm just lucky . I have used regular pump gas the cheapest I could find in my boats and cars since the early 80s . With lead without lead with ethanol and without., I haven't had any engine problems or fuel related problems . I beginning to think all this concern about fuel is similar to finding Bigfoot or man made global warming. I hear lots of talk about it but not much on fact..

I tend to agree with Nautiquehunter - I know a lot of folks that just use +93 octane pump gas in their boats and have zero issues year in and year out. Frankly, I haven't noticed ANY differences between +100 LL, +92 non-ethanol straight gas or +87 & +93 pump gas with lead additive.

I'm sure there's probably some other factors to consider - engine timing, mods, moisture exposure, how long the fuel sits in the tank and lines, etc. - but lately I've just been adding some Marvel to the gas on every other fill up then running it like I stole it    
'87 SN 2001
'68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 5:18pm
Stock pcms from the 80's had low compression (mid 8's) so with conservative timing I agree with joe- 87 should be fine.

Higher octane doesn't add more power, it is harder to combust so it keeps you from detonating when adding compression and/or timing. An engine will usually run best on the lowest octane gas it can safely run.

As far as fuel issues go, I don't know if ethanol is to blame or not (no e-free around here) but my boats will NOT start in the spring on 6 month old gas. They'll usually run it, but the initial start requires a fresh shot of gas down the carb to get it to kick. My tractors and power tools don't seem quite as sensitive but they definitely start easier with fresh gas. I would imagine that fuel quality can vary from region to region.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would imagine that fuel quality can vary from region to region.

Tim,
Don't forget we have the orange stuff here it the midwest. I still haven't figured it out since you mentioned it.

I've too have never had an issue I can blame directly to ethanol .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 6:14pm
No issues. She ran great.
On the way back home to fire up the grill for Mother's Day Dinner with Mom.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 6:57pm
The marinas on my lake have non-ethanol so I have no issues. But I have seen a piece of ethanol degraded fuel line from a boat that is apparently rarely used, and the line looked dangerous. The key is ethanol separates over time, so boats that use it should ideally be used on a regular basis.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

The marinas on my lake have non-ethanol so I have no issues.

I'd say the only issue is their cost!! I too have non ethanol available at the marina but haven't used it for I'd say 20 years. The gas tote is a wonderful invention!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 11:46pm
Like Tim, no options here in NH to avoid ethanol. I tend to run 89 or 91 octane in the boat (GT-40), not sure I have any evidence that it wouldn't run fine on 87 but for a few cents I figure go with the slightly higher octane. I have gotten in the habit of adding blue marine sta-bil in every tank of gas in every boat. There is a TON of evidence of what ethanol does in boats with intermittent use, in my opinion you really need to use treatment to avoid ethanol/water related problems.

Tim, everything I have, carb or efi, fires up fine in the spring even if I don't add any fresh gas. Not sure why you are having that problem.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 10:39am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The marinas on my lake have non-ethanol so I have no issues.

I'd say the only issue is their cost!! I too have non ethanol available at the marina but haven't used it for I'd say 20 years. The gas tote is a wonderful invention!!

Yeah a bit more but I don't trail my boats and am not gonna tote a bunch of gas cans over there in my trunk.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 11:09am

]
Tim,
Don't forget we have the orange stuff here it the midwest. I still haven't figured it out since you mentioned it.

That orange crap freaked me out a few years back going to green lake. It expanded and ran down back of the boat below the vent and had me freaked out that I somehow got distracted and put in diesel or kerosene. I had to go to another station and check it out before I would start the boat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

As far as fuel issues go, I don't know if ethanol is to blame or not (no e-free around here) but my boats will NOT start in the spring on 6 month old gas. They'll usually run it, but the initial start requires a fresh shot of gas down the carb to get it to kick. My tractors and power tools don't seem quite as sensitive but they definitely start easier with fresh gas. I would imagine that fuel quality can vary from region to region.

This is exactly what I have experienced for the past 5 yrs or so, always treat my fuel before layup also. As a result I now store with as little fuel as possible and add a fresh 5 gallons in the spring. Always run 87 and only from the Big names like Shell, Mobil or BP Amoco.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2015 at 7:26pm

The gas tote is a wonderful invention!!

Yeah a bit more but I don't trail my boats and am not gonna tote a bunch of gas cans over there in my trunk.

Jeff,

If my 64 year old frail wife can do it in the trunk of her car, anyone can!! We roll it to the top of the hill over my dock and then gravity feed the boats. Cam lock couplings on 50' of fuel rated hose makes it easy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
J Bos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Bos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 3:09pm
Tim, all - I found this thread helpful as I laid up with full tank year before last and struggled to start. After reading this I won't bother with that in future, but for now I am about to launch full tank again. If throwing a shot down carb, how much & when? Not a fan of jacking w/ carb but don't want a backfire either..
Thanks
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 4:10pm

The gas tote is a wonderful invention!!

Jeff,

If my 64 year old frail wife can do it in the trunk of her car, anyone can!! We roll it to the top of the hill over my dock and then gravity feed the boats. Cam lock couplings on 50' of fuel rated hose makes it easy.

Yup Makes sense if you have a lake house. My bro has a big tank/ pump in his pickup he uses to fill his boats and floatplane.

I, however, keep mine in a rack marina. Cut me serious slack to store second boat so think it'd be in poor taste to roll one of those things past his gas pump to my boat.

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 8:59pm
Then again Pete...getting gas at the Pit Stop up the street and see they now have a big rack of VP Racing Fuels in convenient 5 Gallon cans. Maybe I should pick up a few cans. What do you recommend. .the 110 octane or the 113?

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2015 at 1:13pm
Tim, last season was the only year my boat wouldn't fire on the existing gas (stored in heated building).

Funny thing was, this year after all the engine and boat work the carburetor still had fuel in the bowls and it fired right up on that fuel. Tank was completely drained so it wasn't sucking from there.

The longevity of fuel is getting poopy but I don't think that effects how it runs when fresh. I will probbaly Sta-bil it next season for the first time ever.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic