Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's the best pitot replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the best pitot replacement?
    Posted: May-06-2015 at 1:46am
Unfortunately one of my original style airguide pitots broke and I am now searching for a replacement. I know nos or used original style pitots will randomly show up on ebay, and that is my preferred replacement. But until one shows up...

Has anyone experimented with aftermarket pitot replacements for the original style airguide pitot? I want to avoid drilling new holes in the transom. Any recommendations?

I saw this replacement on skidim.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 2:30am
Its far simpler to drill a new hole in the pitot than your fiberglass... Any pitot will work.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 3:26am
this was a question i was hoping would be asked, which brand fits/works best with our holes?
my boat has three of the darn things
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 7:39am
The holes needed in the new pitot are really just elongations of the existing and not new locations. Change both so they look original!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Its far simpler to drill a new hole in the pitot than your fiberglass... Any pitot will work.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The holes needed in the new pitot are really just elongations of the existing and not new locations. Change both so they look original!

I used the pitot linked to above and as Hollywood and Pete suggest, widened/ellipsed the holes of the pitot slightly with a drill. I used the original mountings holes in the fiberglass and seated them with 3M 4200. They went on easily and work well.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 9:43am
Wait a lil longer, use a phone for speed for a few weeks. Pitots seem to pop up regularly for not much money. Just search eBay under Correct Craft or Airguide. Two months ago I needed 2. Now I have a surplus and been outbid on a few pairs since.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 2:39am
I got the replacements linked above. They are a nice high-quality unit, better than the originals, Easy to modify to fit in the OEM Airguide holes in your hull. I've taken a few photos of the job. When I get some time I'll put up a quick how-to for everybody, but the SkiDim site does a good job of showing what you need to do.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
ryanibanez88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 9:38am
i think i will be ordering me one
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2015 at 1:22pm
Update - I got my replacements from SkiDim and installed them. Put it up on the blog. Here is a link to my blog where I show the job from start to end. As far as doing boat stuff, this was an extremely easy job to do.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic