NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spare/New Prop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spare/New Prop
    Posted: May-05-2015 at 6:02pm
So my 2000 Pro Air with the Gt-40 is functional now... Left it at the lakehouse for the summer but I figured I might need to look into a new prop... I had the one that came with it rebuilt and it seemed great this weekend.

If I buy new I should probably install new and keep the rebuilt one for a spare correct?

Any have a recommendation for my specific boat?

We will: Wakeboard, Wake-skate, Cruise, Teach to Kiddo to Ski, and try surfing for the hell of it.

I honestly don't see us slaloming much behind this boat. The owner of my company and his wife have a lakehouse in our neighborhood and we generally only slalom with them on her Moomba.

halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 6:20pm
Do you have any info on the current prop? 3 blade, 4 blade, hand finished or CNC? I keep my old OJ Legends as spares.

How much ballast do you plan on adding to the boat? Since most of your activities are low speed in nature, I'd probably stick with a 4 blade, With no ballast or light ballast, probably an Acme 422. More weight, 654. Heavy ballast, a 480 or 1868. I run the 1868 on my '94 Sport Nautique and it revs about 500RPM higher at any speed than the original prop.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 6:22pm
I wouldn't waste the money doing what you are doing. But, I have a few that will suit your needs. Hang tight.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 6:26pm
4 Blade and I believe CNC....

Stock Ballast is gone but I have two 600LB sacs plumbed in that won't be used all the time. Really only me and a few of my buddies that still ride with me will use.

And Hollywood, I'm listening.... Only reason I thought I needed a spare or new prop is because the nearest inboard dealer that might have one in a pinch is 90 miles from the lakhouse... It would be one of those things that I might not ever use but I would be real pissed if I didn't have a spare on a holiday weekend.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

We will: Wakeboard, Wake-skate, Cruise, Teach to Kiddo to Ski, and try surfing for the hell of it.

Trey,
I'm sure glad you didn't mention the "T" word!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 7:28pm
I know better than to say the T word.

Sadly, we own several but I do my best to refuse to pull them. Most of the time I still have the drag them down to the water and inflate them but only to tie them to an old anchor and make a floating island for the drunkards.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

I know better than to say the T word.

tie them to an old anchor and make a floating island for the drunkards.

I thought that's what they were for until I saw the pictures of Pete riding his during world tube competition. I have to admit I was pretty impressed on the air he was getting and I believe his favorite competition tube boat is the Atom.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 1:43am
FWIW, I have used a block of wood and a hammer on more than one occasion to save a weekend. Spare props are nice, but after getting a good prop, it would have to be destroyed before I would put on my old stock non cnc prop!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 2:28am
Well then I'd still plan on it being "destroyed" and having a spare. Saves 2 weekends at least counting the turnaround time. Swapping a prop is also quicker than beating on the bad one.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 4:18am
I run a 1442 on mine and love it but I've been told the 422 would be a little wakeboardier...slightly lower top speed and a little better under ballast.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 8:23am
Other way around Adam the 422 will reduce rpm by around 200rpm compared to the 1442.

I cannot notice any difference in bottom end between props but a heavily weighted boat may work better with the 1442. The 1442 does give a marginally better top speed (.5-1mph) but at a higher rpm.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 8:24am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

I run a 1442 on mine and love it but I've been told the 422 would be a little wakeboardier...slightly lower top speed and a little better under ballast.

Not sure who you're getting your prop advice from because that info is wrong.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 11:07am
I think I have what I need sorted out for now just picking up a spare.

I'll see how it behaves full of ballast and people in a few weeks and go from there.
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 1:37pm
Head over to www.wakemakers.com and look at their prop page (perhaps you already have).

Prop page

They break it down into water ski / all around / wakeboarding with a prop recommendation for each activity.

Although we wakeboard I don't carry the amount of ballast that the 480 was intended for so I went with the 654. I have a full season of use on it and have no issues. Pulls great and has a good hole-shot.

I wouldn't go with the 422 if you are going to be wakeboarding and loaded up with ballast. The PO of my boat had it installed when I bought it and I immediately noticed a difference when I switched to the 654. Better tracking with the 654 (especially when weighted) and lower RPMs for the speeds we wakeboard at.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic