NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foots/TimBobs New 72 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
Author
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 1:39pm

you see why I hate wet foam now Tim......
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 1:44pm
the only foam I put back in was on the outer edges of the stringers....

67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 1:59pm
Sure is nice to see some near finished boats. Keep it up!
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 3:37pm
I feel the shame...........and it is starting to hurt
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2015 at 1:04pm
Good work Paulie....of course we wouldn't expect anything different from you bro! you've been a busy boy.

Test fitted the fresh air plenum in the boat this week to make sure I wasn't going to need to modify them. Looks like I may have to cut some off once installed so that's a good thing. Work is still slow so I decided to experiment a little bit and try to make some fiberglass elbows for the transitioning thru airbox.. Scratched my balding head and came up with the idea of using a pool noodle as the form. Had to wrap some batting around it first to add some girth to it them wrapped it with some blue release plastic we use in composite repair. Cut multiple strips about 2" wide to wrap the elbow once I impregnated the cloth with epoxy resin. The following pics show the process I used to do the job. Working in a commercial environment is a HUGE fringe benefit to say the least and once I got it all the layers on, I put it in a 150'F oven to expedite the cure. It came out WAY better then I thought although its not too pretty. A few of the crew were impressed as well and said wow Foot...that's smart thinking out of the box. Once cured I needed a second set of hands to twist and pull out the pool noodle. Once the grip of the layup was popped loose....it came right out. Wasn't sure if it was gonna work or not so I did not add too many layers for strength. Went back and added more so its strong and lighter than PVC.
Form ready cloth cut, 60 grams of epoxy resin poured on top.

Squeeging resin thru out the cloth which is lying between a folded sheet of plastic

Resin/cloth penetration complete

Finished product test fitted on the duct previously made.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 11:50pm
Been over a month since my last update and I've done quite a bit of work so I figured its time to show you what I've been doing.

I got the rudder box support structure all sanded down and ready for glass. four layers of glass covering the whole area with each layer overlapping the previous layer.

Once all cured out then time to coat the whole thing with Bilge paint AKA Garage floor epoxy that work was tossing out so of course I confiscated it and said no you aren't I'll take care of it.

The beam that is the brace for the ski pylon was in pretty good shape but I CPES'd the beam down and wanted to reinforce it more so I put down three layers of glass with each layer larger than the previous one. The repair is stronger this way instead of three layers of glass the same size.

Got the bulkhead all glassed in and included a standoff to clamp the wire harness and the rudder cable.

Relocated the rudder cable clamp block attach "bolt" aft 4.5" to allow equal port and starboard travel. The previous location wasn't correct as the rudder traveled way more to Starboard then Port.

Took a shot of the OEM gas tank before I put it back in.

Put the tank back in, most of the bilge area recovered with coating.

The new redesigned fresh air intake ducting in, bulkhead, hull & battery box (reinforced with glass) recoated with epoxy coating and the top support glassed over with three more layers of glass.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 5:58am
Tim,
All that boat needs is a runway and it just may take off! Your work is nothing but the best.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 8:41am

Looks great

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 9:00am
Damn Tim. That's impressive. Nicely done.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 9:33am
Nice Timmy!
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 9:39am
Looking great, Tim!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2016 at 11:32am
Been a busy week as I more stuff done on Kermit this past week. Got new fresh air flexible ducting attached to the fiberglass I made and replaced the deteriorating ones behind the tank. There isn't a West Marine close by, and Bass Pro Shops don't carry it, Home Depot doesn't have it in the store, and I didn't wanna wait for it to be delivered so I didn't order it online but I hit a major score at Walmart of all places. I ended up use RV flexible waste line. Very strong, wire reinforced, and pretty much exactly what I pulled out that was brittle. The wire in it is copper so no rust worries.

Thank goodness the carpenter shop is right across the alley way and having 28 years with the company I have plenty of contacts all over the place and got the guys to make a couple new tank retaining/ stern support brackets for me. They are thick so the guys looked in the rack and found a piece of old dusty wood that's been sitting there for about 20 years so they planned it down to make the supports. Low and behold it was Walnut.. Told the guys they didn't need to get that fancy but they said ...."Ahhhhhhh just use it, ain't no telling how long its been up there and we already planed it down. It's yours now!"
I scrounged around in the scrap bin and found some 3/4 ply to replace the rotting worn out attach plates the CC used. Of course working in the composite shop I made my own CPES and got everything sealed up and cured out since we have a nice warm oven that stays at 150'F for curing stuff.

Got the Aircraft cabin floor panel epoxied in place with resin mixed with milled fibers, then sealed up the gaps with the same mixture. Used, anchors, dumbbell weights, and 5 gallon gas cans to weigh it down with to make sure it bonded well to the floor supports I bonded to the primary stringers. Just before I closed it up for good I put it two Stainless screws in each support for good measure. I also attached a wire bundle clamp to the starboard side to secure the wire harness (loosely) to get it off the hull. Any left over resin was used to fill up the numerous screw holes that were all over the place in the floor. I filled up a syringe (several times) and injected it in the holes. a few of said holes took a whole syringe full so I concluded that the foam was soaking it all up. came back the next day and hit it again and in most cases the hole filled up.

After a day of curing, the seams were sealed up with a 1" wide strip of glass followed by a 2" strip of glass to strengthen the floor and seal it up again.

Cured it out overnight with some help from some heating lamps then sanded them down for garage floor epoxy sealant.

Mixed up the epoxy floor paint and using a 3" paint roller I got it all sealed up yet again with a thick coat of that stuff. Went over the factory job after cleaning the floor with 409 then wiping down the area with acetone. Did the job in the garage as I had heated it early in the morning but that stuff is powerful stuff so once I had it all down I pulled it outside to flash off and let the sun do some curing. The goal today is to get the floor back down, the side panels in and the tank supports installed before the Superbowl.

Thanks for the compliments guys.!
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2016 at 12:00pm
Nice work Tim. I'll be calling when I dig into mine
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2016 at 12:28pm
Nicely done..........looking great Tim!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2016 at 12:31pm
Tim, did you put that paint down with the side panels in? You must have nerves of steel!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2016 at 12:34pm
Wow. Better than new, that's for sure. Great work.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2016 at 2:14pm
Bruce.....that's what cardboard cereal boxes are good for ......they make good blockers for paint rollers.... There is enough gap between them and the floor that I was able to carefully use a 1" brush to coat under them. that took a little more time and effort hanging over the Gunnels to not get it on the sidewall panels.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2016 at 2:17pm
Tim,
What's the floor material going back in? The vinyl?

Look'n great!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2016 at 4:35pm
Pete, that's the original flooring that is going back in. I would have liked to have replaced the rusty staples with stainless ones holding the vinyl on the plywood but too risky and wanted to keep it original. I did however CPES'd the crap out of the bottoms before I put them back in.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2016 at 4:53pm
Tim,
I took a closer look and see it does show up in a couple pictures, Keep it original is the way to go!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2016 at 7:32pm
Tim: at this rate you'll have to add an "If it's not Boeing. .I'm not Goeing" sticker.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2016 at 7:47pm
Tim,
I neglected to mention that for awhile you had me worried that you were going to go non original on me and install some stupid carpet!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 10:10pm
Thanks for the compliments boys......... Well.....Kermit is finally finished and just in time for the River Ruckus...... Took all day last Saturday to get him fired up and running and it was too late to get him to the lake and tune him up in the water so I got it done today. The porpoising is next to nothing now with the extra weight from water soaked foam removed. Here's the video from todays run

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 10:44pm
Great work Tim! Bring it up north and I'll have me a ride!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 10:52pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2016 at 2:14am
Attaboy Tim! Gotta love that crystal-clear post-rain georgia water....haha
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2016 at 2:48am
You sure have her running great. Looking good.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2016 at 9:08am
Looking forward to seeing it! SJRR.
Js
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2016 at 9:15am
Looks and sounds great! I hope I get a ride in it someday.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2016 at 9:46am
Bill.....next time ya'll are in Atlanta its a deal as It's too cold to drag him up there! ..... Jeff.... Not sure why they call one of the rivers that feed this lake Yellow cause it's the main culprit of the "Orange" Ga Red Clay tint to the water......Jerry, it's looking like Kermit is gonna be at the Ruckus......... Bruce, absolutely my friend, was planning on bringing him to WL but I will mostly likely be down under with Lewy and Adam skiing with those guys that weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
  Share Topic