NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foots/TimBobs New 72 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 11:33pm
Well at least it looks like they used a Mustang pump Tim

The original pump that was used looked like this-

Technically not a marine pump since it did not have a sight tube fitting,which I added when I rebuilt mine.
This one would be perfect since you would retain a similar fuel filter but the sight tube fitting will not clear the oil sender extension

So you might just have to go with a regular marine one
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2015 at 1:54pm
Thanks Gary, Summit Racing is just down the street and that's where I ordered the new Carb from. Will wait to order the pump once I receive my $15 in Summit Bucks to get it cheaper. Talked to Pete today and he tossed out that he wouldn't be surprised if the Carb was original and that HM never swapped it over to a marine carb. Hmmmmmmmm

May modify the pump and marinize it myself by adding a nipple and sight tube to the new carb..

On to the next project...... One of the previous owners backed into something hard and did pretty good # on the Starboard Stern corner. They did a half @$$ repair using some JB weld 5 minute epoxy in a tube. then painted over it with some antique white paint. I will say this......Its worked for the most part, and no telling how long its been there but It's been bothering me since I got the boat and was gonna wait til winter to rip it off but just can't. So with a chisel and a hammer I dug out all the epoxy. Did a little presanding but stopped to document the repair and post pics. ....Here we go!    

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2015 at 2:00pm
My dad did the same thing in the same spot on the same boat.... wah . But he never fixed it.
1972 Mustang
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2015 at 10:18pm
Yikes Tim. Betcha wish you waited till winter now. Reason #10,001 why it's good to have two boats, Always good to keep a spare...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2015 at 8:25am
Originally posted by halfnelly halfnelly wrote:

Congrats on the new (old) boat! I was fortunate to park next to "The One" last year after putting in at Lake Conway. Clean boat, love the green.

I believe this was the Wipeout event last year. That's the last time I saw the Godfather and his boat as well.

That also explains why I haven't seen him out on the lake this year. Wonder if he's gonna get another one?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2015 at 9:46pm
Just saying I could make the boat look like new , the boat was great when I had it. Change is good but I like it the way it was !! But oh well
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2015 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

the boat was great when I had it.

It still IS a great boat Dave! Definitely turning some heads around here. They ain't used to seeing classic Correct Crafts round here and the sound he makes!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2015 at 9:59pm
I could make a one of a kind. 2016 model !!   Old and new just saying
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2015 at 10:01pm
So are you saying the Godfather is coming home with a 2016 with a Sublime Green Interior?

Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2015 at 1:06am
Oh so that why the G in Gamechanger is highlighted in red. The G stands for Godfather . He's making a brand new mustang that is just like yours Morfoot.
1972 Mustang
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2015 at 10:37am
Tim, I saw the pics before I read the text. I thought that was damage that occurred after you got it. That would have really sucked. Glad its just an old injury needing attention.

Justin, You've mentioned the return of a mustang a couple times. Don't hold your breath. The 16 ft Mustang had its run from 65 to 75. In 75 there was both the 16 and 17 and from 76 to 79 just the 17 footer, the only remaining 16 footer being the ski tique (76-81) They tried the 16 ft mustang one more time with a re-introduction in 83, but it must not of sold, as that was the last year, and I am guessing the last year of any 16 foot production inboard. Neat boats, but I doubt they will ever return. No market. Everyone wants a bigger roomier boat, and if they just want something to hot rod around in/on, they will get a jet ski. You don't even see any small (16 footish) outboard runabouts any more....They ruled the waters back when I was your age and a little older.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2015 at 10:52am
Way to crush a kid's dream dude.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2015 at 10:56am
tough love. Kid's gotta learn life's harsh realities.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2015 at 11:03am
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2015 at 11:44am
Ouch Tim. Know any good glass guy's in Atlanta
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Way to crush a kid's dream dude.

I just coughed up my breakfast from laughing at your post .
1972 Mustang
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2015 at 11:59am
So here is the latest update on the 72. Before I removed the damage in the previous post I had the boat out on July 4th weekend and hit something but the boat seemed to drive okay the rest of the day.. no vibration or weird noises so I thought nothing of it. Removed the damage posted previously and as I was doing the final prep work for the repair I noticed the prop looked a little funny. Upon further investigation I saw the prop bent a little and the strut as well.

So I removed both and off the strut went to Delta Props but shoved the bushing out first before I sent it. Got the new Carb from Summit and got it installed then went to work on the repair. Took 3 separate layups to get the repair done. Using supplies that I got from US composites and some scrap cloth lying round the shop I got the repair done. Gelcoat repair is going on as we speak and I've found out that color matching it is an art form. Getting it close but an exact match is very difficult for a rookie and a boat that is 43 years old.

While the strut was out for repair I had a buddy of mine who works in the tubing shop bend me up a stainless fuel line. I got the fittings from summit also and used a wire coat hanger to use as a blueprint. Angle here, angle there and a hair longer than I needed he got it made. Got the strut back , installed it along with the fuel line and leak checked the line/carburetor in the driveway. Took awhile to get fuel in the carb but once it got there. He fired right up. More gelcoat repair to do but with all of major stuff fixed, it's time to hit the water again and I'll fix the many other gelcoat spider cracks and chips in the winter.

I also got a bud in the fixture shop to weld up some scrap iron for me to install a hitch on the front of the Durango so that I can push Kermit into through the woods and into the basement garage.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2015 at 12:15pm
Is that where HM ran the line before? Seems like it might be in the way of the valve cover coming off.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2015 at 9:20pm
The ugly corner is beginning to look pretty!

And for Chev,   the '83 Mustang was 12,800.oo when you could get an SN for 15,600.oo

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2015 at 9:33pm
looking good timbob. great to see you putting the time to restore her to glory, although it doesn't really come as a surprise.

why do you keep calling "Kim Lime Pie" Kermit?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2015 at 10:06pm
Tim,
Wow, you've been busy while I was out most of the weekend. Looking good!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2015 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Is that where HM ran the line before? Seems like it might be in the way of the valve cover coming off.

HM ran a rubber line the same way. It was either there or try and squeeze the routing between the alternator and the engine hoist bracket. Figured fuel that close to electricity wasn't a good idea and kept it away from any moving parts. Shouldn't have to remove the valve cover for anything but if I do then taking 2 mins to remove the fuel line is no big deal.

Thanks Al... Still a work in progress......gelcoat work is proving to be a pain in my arse though.....

Adam.......I guess that's up to the woman I end up staying in a realtionship with....The Current Kim (and yes that is her name ) seems to be a hit with the Lake X crowd and has an open invite to return with or without me so it'll be her call as to if Kim Lime Pie sticks.

Yeah, Pete ....been a little busy since we last talked.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2015 at 11:12am
I'm surprised your company has a tube shop, they have any surfing stuff? BTW I'm looking for a red/black tube,if they have one grab it for me.
Originally they used a metal line Tim,I suspect who ever put the automotive carb on changed to a rubber line to make their job easier.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2015 at 11:27am
Been awhile since I updated this post as fall/winter is officially here and the boats are getting a much needed rest from a busy summer. With some decent temps here in Georgia I decided to start the task of fixing a few things that needed to be addressed on the 72. First up was pulling the dizzy and sending it to Reid to have his guy O'haul it as the boat had been running like a top after the Badin Mini and just quit for no reason the last time I took it out. The rotor was almost free spinning and one could turn it with two fingers so off it went.

Digging into the wiring harness to trouble shoot the Tach not working I found that a previous owner hacked up the harness plug and spliced a few wires together and just covered it up with electrical tape. Took a few days (and big shout to Gary S for sending me the wiring diagram) but the engine is now "hardwired" with new ends on, replaced a few small sections of wiring, routed and laced together using high temp lacing cord. Will secure it all with proper stainless steel Adel clamps when I get the dizzy back.

The next project was to fix the cracked fiberglass in front of the rudder fitting support structure. The glass was cracked in a couple places and a tap test indicated the glass was disbonded in several places. ( I had previously removed the tank to trouble shoot the fuel gauge issue I've been having and pulled the tank to pull the float level to Ohm check it out and clean up the surface corrosion on everything I could.)
Upon removing said glass the wood glassed in to strengthen the area was soaking wet. the more I ground the more wet wood I found. A quick call to Joe to ask if the wood would dry out now that it had a way to evaporate the decision was made to just yank to whole thing. It was the right thing to do as the entire piece of wood was soaked thru. No rot yet after 44 years but .the plank wasn't sitting flush with the hull which is evident by the black stain in the picture. a puddle of water was underneath it as the hull wasn't even and water was sitting in the gap. Area prepped and ready to go once I get the coosa board to replace it with.

The primary stringers are solid as a rock and was surprised that the drain holes (that aren't glassed or bilge coated) in the primaries aren't rotten. I hit the areas (to remove the black stain/dirt) with a 'tootsie' roll sander and hit solid wood. {:D]   I'll CPES the area and throw on a couple layers of glass to seal it up while I have the area open.

The plan is to move the steering cable clamp aft about 3 inches as the cable is as far in the clamp as it will go and the rudder steers waaaaaaaay more to the right then the left. The wheels full travel is 3 revolutions total so at 1.5 revolutions the rudder should be at center. IT ISN'T!!!! It takes 2 revolutions to get the rudder at center and the arm in the cable block is as far aft as it will go. Moving the clamp aft will fix this issue.

Moving forward with all the needs to be fixed issues on Kermit I started tearing into the web in front of the battery box as it was rotten and starting to cave in. The glass/bilge coat was the only thing holding the wood together and it was sooooooo soft you could easily put your pinky finger through it. Using a diamond cutting blade in the 90' grinder I cut the glass around the perimeter and started the task of removed the mushy wood and yep you guessed it.............WET FOAM. The floor is solid and no rot so I'm going to try and tunnel the foam out. I'm hoping the foam ends soon as I'm running out of reach. The foam is soaked only a third of the way up from the hull so I see that as a good sign. The battery box supports glued to the hull are solid which I'm surprised as I figured they would be mush. I may try and replace the web with a aircraft floor panel which is aluminum honeycomb core bonded between two panels of fiberglass. Tons of the stuff laying around work. If I go that route I'll post pics of what I used in this thread.

One can filled so far and I'm about half way done...... Loads of fun...HIGHLY recommend everyone give this a try!

Just a Foot note ...... I do this composite stuff for a living but yet this is actually kinda fun tearing into the boat and fixin it up. I must be losing it, have been sniffing glue way to long or hanging around you guys too much! Not sure which it it is.........
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2015 at 1:01pm
Little chine rash there?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2015 at 1:40pm
Yes sir......gotta fix that too but wanna start on the bigger stuff first...got about 4 months to get it all done.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2015 at 9:17am
Ahh. Tim? Will that thing be put back together by next weekend? A ride in Kermit was on my list remember?   
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2015 at 9:59am
That's a maybe.........
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2015 at 10:10am
Looking good, Tim. That rudder port must be the type with the rectangular base and the hull has a recess for it on the bottom?   How's the new trailer working out?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2015 at 10:50am
Good call Bruce that's the one. The new trailer has been great. Loading and unloading has been a breeze and it pulls really well. Definitely sits high as compared to the 88. In fact it sits high enough that I had to turn over the drop hitch so that it's raised so the trailer rides a little more close to level when pulling it with the Durango.

Pulled another trashcans worth of foam last night. Cut the floor as I had reached back an arms length and was still pulling out wet foam. The foam musta have been poured way up in the bow as I'm about at an arms length now but the last few inches of foam has been dry at the hull so I will probably stop there......The stringers are still solid even though wet foam has been laying against it for years.. The plan is bond blocks of cpes'd wood to the stringers, and use aircraft floor panel as the removed fiberglass foam floor. Screw it into the blocks of wood bonded to the stringers then seal the seals with a couple of layers of glass. Don't think I'll need to use a bilge coat to cover the fiberglass panel floor as the original vinyl flooring panels will lay on top of that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
  Share Topic