Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tired Interceptor - Block Cracks Everywhere!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 1:03am
Thanks Pete for your comments - much appreciated!

Before Pic of my Paragon Model 1xe

And the after pic!

Still awaiting the return of my block from being hot tanked. So in the meantime I got busy getting the drive back into order. Pretty horrid mess inside and I'm very pleased that after alot of cleaning, complete disassembly I have what should be a working drive with little more expense than new seals, paint stripper and a fresh coat of paint.

Fotunately, it didn't look so bad. Some wear on clutch discs however evenly worn and a fair amount of adjustment left. I thought early on that new bearings were going to be on the project list but happily after a good bath in my ultrasonic cleaner they run free and have no debris left within to cause rough spots.

Pete if your following I have a question regarding the exhaust manifolds. Mine was completely trashed when I got the boat and very little left to compare to. Could you or anyone else with the 170 Interceptor describe how the cooling circuit works? I know that sounds stupid, however the set up is a little unorthodox.

My question is this, Am I correct in assuming there is a ventury action set up by the where the cooling water enters and bypasses the thermostat housing and exits out to the riser and through the block simultaneously?

Reason being I jumped off a cliff earlier this summer. I had seen through other sources on the web and in a thread somewhere here regarding a Barr replacement. Well I got a boat shop buddy to look into it and he found online they had a replacement (FC- 1) described as a manifold for a Ford comet engine.

Well no one at Barr knew anything about it even though it was listed in their inventory. So I called them directly and talked to a stock guy and he verified they had one but couldn't confirm fitment as he said "I have been here 20 years and never sold one"

So I was on vacation and on the way back to PA from the beach I stopped at Barr in VA. and got them to physically show me it. So as it sits it's set up for starboard exhaust. I noted in pics that the end and header caps were symmetrical and bolted on and on the phone he couldn't advise if they could be swapped. So when I visited I verified they could be reversed to make it a port side exhaust. I then got my friend to get me it at his cost plus a little beer. I then got from ebay in "new" old stock a 15 degree water cooled riser and the adaptor plate to join everything.

It will look close to original, however im going to have to work on the routing of the cooling circuit and it will press my motor further to a "one" off than I had hoped for. I am planning to and can use the original arrangement of the 1/4" cooling line from the rear of the head to the manifold. Im just trying to get it right so the flow works properly through the manifold and block.

Hopefully I can get the results from it I desire and I will put it up in the forum for everyone to check out. The manifold I got was one of four remaining in existance, once they go no more. So if anyone else is experiencing the same hurdles with an exhaust manifold for one of these beasties it may be of help.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 6:07am
Christopher,
Steve (wood) had some cooling issues with his 6 and if I remember correctly it came down to a wrong T stat. I'm sure he'll be by and correct me if I'm wrong. The cooling system is typical of any marine. Basically water is diverted into the block as needed determined by the stat. If it's closed, all the water is bypassed and goes directly to the manifold. With any manifold, the key is to not create a air pocket on the high end. Some of the Barr's utilize a internal separate tube to direct water to the high end.

Just how trashed is your old manifold? Have you pressure tested it to see if there are any breaches between the exhaust and water cavities? Interceptor's aluminum manifolds (or any others) are a great weight savings however they are prone to burn through from hot exhaust gasses if they ever run dry. Some had steel half round liners down the exhaust cavity to shield the aluminum walls. If you do have some holes. they can be repaired. The outer wall is cut open to access the burn through, The hole(s) are welded shut and then the outer wall is welded back in. Crow Custom Cast is noted for their restoration of vintage/antique parts. I've seen their work and you can't tell the manifold has been repaired. You may want to look into a repair if there are breaches inside your manifold.

On your trans adjustment, you want to adjust the clutch pack so it just knuckles over into forward. There's lots of adjustment but that's there for the stack height tolerance of the complete assembly with all the clutch plates. If you haven't taken the clutch pack apart and you get slippage or no knuckle over, go one notch only. BTW, no synthetic oil in the engine! Dino with plenty of ZDDP. Don't forget the assembly grease

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 10:11am
This is how our 170 is plumbed. I've never quite understood the water route as the inlet into the block is also the outlet.

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 10:30am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

BTW, no synthetic oil in the engine! Dino with plenty of ZDDP. Don't forget the assembly grease

FWIW:
ie: Lucas Break In Oil
(Comp Cams recommends Valvoline VR=1 )
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

This is how our 170 is plumbed. I've never quite understood the water route as the inlet into the block is also the outlet.

Bruce,
Take a look at the forward end (flywheel end) of the engine. You see that small water line running to the exhaust manifold? It doesn't take much water to cool the engine. More is actually needed to cool the exhaust manifold.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:27am
Thanks Pete and Riley. My manifold was completely gone. I wish I could report it was just some cracks, but this thing when they finally decided they had killed it (and probably sunk) they put it in an unheated garage without draining or laying up anything for 25 years. It had tons of cracks and the boat apparently saw less fresh water than salt. It literally fell apart after days of penetrating oil, etc. to extricate the manifold bolts. What on the exterior that looked repairable initially to me was as is the case with anything in this project was skin deep.

There was virtually no core left inside to bond any repairs to. I could have made sparklers for my kids out of it.About to fist fulls of aluminum dust. I have spent several months barn diving without any luck looking for an original. I grew up on a lake that was built after hurricane Agnes and the day the lake opened it looked like a push pull or drag sale. Everyone bought anything that would float to boat with and I was hoping the throngs of discarded boats in the area would net me something, unfortunately no luck. So the cost vs benefit right now has me where I'm at.

Thanks again Pete for your expertise. My question was along the lines of how the water was getting around in the block and through the manifold and Riley summed it up better better than I did in my question. I just wanted to make sure I looked at it correctly and wasn't going to do anything to change the way the block got it's cooling needs. Looked simple to me just wanted to confirm my thoughts. The Fc-1 is pretty simple I hope my boat doesn't list from it.! Good thing it's a right hand driver my petiteness should put it on an even keel without sand bags.

And yep Pete I'm up with you on the oil. My father is a retired mechanical engineer and did a lot of of work with what was then Kendall Oil Company in Bradford PA and remains today a champion of PA crude which apparently has a parafin base as opposed to more asphaltic content found in oils produced from other crude. The Kendall brand is long since gone from Bradford and is now home of the American Refining Group and produces Brad Penn oil which caters heavily to the performance community as they still produce conventional oil which that contains higher than permitted by the EPA of ZDDP which flat tappet cams thrive on. I can get Vr-1 and Brad Penn locally and probably will use the Brad Penn my engine building buddies like it particularly for their break in oil.

We found out the hard way about synthetics in vintage engines. One of my family members decided we needed to put Mobil 1 in a flawlessly working 70 year old flat head six marine engine. Right away the drive slipped terribly in forward (too slippery) and it wiped out the bearings in the motor probably from dissolving sludge in the pan. $,4800.00 and a stellited crank, pistons that had to be fitted etc., etc. they didn't do that again.
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:32am
Hey Pete just saw your latest after I posted. I kind of surmised that regarding the 1/4" cooling line and plan on retaining that. My laymans assumptions also were that since the motor is standard rotation and drives off the front of the motor it was a needed feature to also ensure air got out of the head and hot spots were reduced or eliminated.

I don't make it to your neck of the woods, however when I get this project done maybe I can get to a lake near you. Thanks again your help is very generous and much appreciated.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:40am
Pete, I believe that small tube is a vent so the system does not get air bound.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:41am
Chris,
Bruce's idea of the in and out for the engine cooling being the same isn't the case. He just missed the small out at the flywheel end of the block.

I including many here run the VR-1 in their engines. I run 20-50 in all of mine.

Regarding the importance of running an oil with the ZDDP in flat tappet engines, I too have seen first hand what happens running synthetics. Cams with barely any lobes left and these too were on flat head Hercules (Chris) engines. Yup, the owners thought they were doing the correct thing to put the Mobile 1 in their engines!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:47am
Synthetic (including M1) and zddp content are mutually exclusive. Gotta read the data sheets and/or do an oil analysis. Mobil1 15w50, for example, has as much zddp as your beloved vr1 (I use both). I have also heard good things about brad penn.

There may be other reasons to gravitate to (or avoid) synthetics, but zddp content isn't one of them. Just like conventional oils, some have plenty, others don't.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:47am
Pete, there's not enough water that comes out of that tube to cool anything. I've had it off with the engine running.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Glassdog Glassdog wrote:

And yep Pete I'm up with you on the oil. My father is a retired mechanical engineer and did a lot of of work with what was then Kendall Oil Company in Bradford PA and remains today a champion of PA crude which apparently has a parafin base as opposed to more asphaltic content found in oils produced from other crude. The Kendall brand is long since gone from Bradford and is now home of the American Refining Group and produces Brad Penn oil which caters heavily to the performance community as they still produce conventional oil which that contains higher than permitted by the EPA of ZDDP which flat tappet cams thrive on. I can get Vr-1 and Brad Penn locally and probably will use the Brad Penn my engine building buddies like it particularly for their break in oil.

Cool another Brad Penn fan, I have slowly been converting people around SE WI (boats and cars), I did a ton of research and continue to monitor what is going on (yes the manufactures are constantly changing and updating their blends) and Brad Penn continues to manufacture an oil that works really well in these old flat tappet engines. And its reasonably priced as well!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, there's not enough water that comes out of that tube to cool anything. I've had it off with the engine running.

How much water does come out?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 12:12pm
Sorry guys but fun debating. I'm kind of still along the lines with the 1/4" line at rear being just a preventative measure against air, however Im not beyond thinking that it would be a necessary cooling path for an engine that has warmed up. While at idle it probably could take care of cooling.

With the oil thing regarding past experiences. I'm sure it wasn't a case of inadequate ZDDP levels as much as a sythetics propensity to liberate sludge and of course be a little to efficient for clutch discs to grab.

I will say that, although I can't give an exact timeline the API classifications have been changing and as a result of ZDDP being scaled down. It was my understanding through a conversation about a week ago with my performance engine acquintances that their not recommending synthetics in their builds They told me the reason was that the reduced levels of ZDDP being introduced in standard oils and synthetics (i'm not a chemist so don't beat me up) that there is a different type of zinc related element more environmentally friendly form I guess and I think he referred to it as ZDDT? I have no idea if that reference is correct. I just know their opinion is in the engines they produce with flat tappet cams conventional oils only.

I guess there's many ways to skin a cat, but these guys ship competition engines of all types all over the world and (unknown to me) have been building off shore engines as well. Found that pretty amazing for living in a land locked community.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 2:53pm

Sorry guys but fun debating.

No debate. Just telling you what I know from owning the same engine as you. That tube barely drips at idle. Maybe Steve 62Wood will chime in as he's had his engine all apart. Other than general maintenance and replacing all the hoses, we haven't needed to do much to ours.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 3:48pm
I've certainly been wrong before and I'm sure it won't be the last time. Yes, I'd now say that small line on the flywheel end is to eliminate air.
Bruce and or Chris,
I'd be curious as to how the inside of that T stat housing is configured. I remember sitting at the Bayside dock with Steve while he was installing a new stat but I never got a look at how the passages in housing and block were made.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 7:44pm
Please forgive guys, the "fun debate" comment wasn't meant to disrespect anyone's experiences, insights or professional perspective. I probably should have iterated that the discussion has been very very interesting.

I'm very appreciative of everyone taking their time to provide insights, experiences and knowledge. I view all discussions as useful and I can definitely say that all of your input and knowledge of vintage Correct Crafts is helping me to make better decisions, shorten my restoration curve and provide me very valuable knowledge of the the purpose of design.

So, please accept any apologies if necessary your perspectives have been invaluable!!!.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 8:45pm

Please forgive guys, the "fun debate" comment wasn't meant to disrespect anyone's experiences, insights or professional perspective. I probably should have iterated that the discussion has been very very interesting. .

Chris,
I sure didn't take your "fun debate" comment the wrong way and I can say I doubt anyone else took it the wrong way ether so don't worry about it. I'm the one who always seems to get in trouble with what I say!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Christopher,
Steve (wood) had some cooling issues with his 6 and if I remember correctly it came down to a wrong T stat. I'm sure he'll be by and correct me if I'm wrong.

Pete,
now your asking me to go back a "while". I think it was around 6 years ago I was replacing the head, so Green Lake was probably 7 years ago.

I did replace the t.stat with a 160 automotive one at GL that year. From what I remember, I had already replaced the water pump impeller, so the stat was next in line to try. That was not the problem either.

I ended up replacing the entire pump with another one from a donor motor I had around. I think the cover plate on the original pump had minor grooves in it, and I'm guessing it wouldnt prime. I do remember if we could get it out and on plane, it would work.

I since then replaced the stat with a marine 140.

mannnn, I need to get that old girl out of storage this summer. She hasnt been wet since I got the 73.   
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:44pm
btw, I also thought the main purpose of the 1/4" line was to keep it from air locking.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 10:19am
Glassdog, no problems. We do debate on occasion. I'm surprised those engines aren't easier to find as Ford made so many of them. I really like ours, but if you told me 20 years ago that I would someday own a Correct Craft with an old Falcon 6, I'd have told you that you were crazy.
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 6:27pm
I hoped when I first embarked on this boat L6 Interceptors were more plentiful. Instead I have been getting a schooling. They put the 144 cu. in. through 200 cu. cares left. All of them got melted down apparently when scrap got high.

Im not a Ford guy but this has been interesting and challenging. I had this block im working on now for months before I would attempt it, was seriously looking to re-power with a small v6 or v8. Kind of glad I didn't I really like see vintage stuff in original order or as close as possible. That and I really dig the sound of an inline 6 on water!

But it is surprising how few there are left around. Seems Aussies love to buiild them up and race them. The guy who rebuilt my starter for the engine was a big hot rodder back in the sixties and talked my ear off about inlines.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 6:49pm
Ours is the early model 170 with 3 or 4 main bearings. If I were looking for a replacement, I'd be looking for a 7 main, 170 ci. It does sound good when she fires up.   
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 7:13pm
Well yours like mine should have only 4 mains.7 mains (through my new education) didn't show up until later. Ford came out with the 250 and put 7 mains in and re-worked the first version of the 200 which originally only had 4 same as the 170 just 1.5" higher deck height.

I found this out because it was one of the first blocks I was looking at the owner though it was a 170 based on the number of expansion plugs (3) block codes put it at 200. So bsk to the explaination Ford decided I guess when tooling up they could kill two birds with one stone and gave the 200 (5) expansion plugs and 7 main bearings like it new big brother.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 8:17pm
I thought I read the 170's had been upgraded to 7 in the mid 60's but I maybe wrong as I forget a lot of what I read. Did the 300 six have 7 mains? I had a '94 F150 that was my favorite truck I've ever had. We used our mustang a few years ago for skiing and it pulled pretty well. I've never checked the compression, but it doesn't use any oil.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 8:40pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2016 at 2:14pm
Still waiting on my block! So good time to paint stuff. Anyhow, I, in the past have not been a fan of Harbor Freight but I bought a 50 lb. portable spot sand blaster the other day. Had a few discounts and on sale so I figured if it didn't work so what. I am amazed at how well it worked. So if any of you guys have any paint removal to etc. - Good low cost item to have.

I have a question for 62 Wood (if viewing). Since you had replied earlier in posts regarding your head swap on your Interceptor. I was wondering if you felt it was worth it? I know gains won't be huge. Although some restriction issues on the intake side are reduced there still remains restriction on the exhaust side.

Do you think your performance improved? If so how?

I had been doing alot or research on the little engine and tweaks to get it to perform a little better. I'm kind of on the fence regarding my head. I have a sound (original) head with 1 -1/2 carb intake hole and and anticipate no major changes should I use that one. the only thing I may do since I have to replace the pushrods is make some spring changes. Going to get sealed power push rods that are a little bit more resilient than stock and will tolerate mild performance enhancements.

Im thinking if I go that route Im going to put early (single) Ford 289 springs in that have ( I think) about a 20 - 30 lb. increased in closed pressure. Just to increase the closure rate of the valves and that's about it.

I have found several remanufactured heads (later production date) to improve performance if I go that route. Just mulling let me know your findings.

Thanks!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 2:20am

I have a question for 62 Wood (if viewing). Since you had replied earlier in posts regarding your head swap on your Interceptor. I was wondering if you felt it was worth it? I know gains won't be huge. Although some restriction issues on the intake side are reduced there still remains restriction on the exhaust side.

Do you think your performance improved? If so how?

I had been doing alot or research on the little engine and tweaks to get it to perform a little better. I'm kind of on the fence regarding my head. I have a sound (original) head with 1 -1/2 carb intake hole and and anticipate no major changes should I use that one. the only thing I may do since I have to replace the pushrods is make some spring changes. Going to get sealed power push rods that are a little bit more resilient than stock and will tolerate mild performance enhancements.
Thanks!

My before and after is not necessarily a good comparison. The P.O. had replaced the head with one that had a 1973 date code (larger than original head's combustion chamber). They also had installed a felpro gasket. The original head gasket was a steel shim type. (thinner). In checking with a Ford 6 banger guru, I was told the engine was probably only running around 7:1 compression....And that wasnt figuring the fact the 73 head had a couple of visible cracks. It was a wonder it ran at all So, this engine only had one way to go.

I had always attributed the "poor" performance to the fact it was a Ford six banger.

One limiting HP factor in this marine set up is the fact there are no aftermarket exhaust manifolds available. The factory manifold is not that large and is a limiting factor in trying to push more air thru the engine. The car guys usually run headers. We dont have that option.

I did not have a good original 177 head to work with, After talking with a guy from a Ford Hi-performance 6 website, I decided to go with the newer style head from a late 70's 200. It has larger intake runners and hardened valve seats. I bought a complete 1978 200 engine and pulled the head off. I cleaned up all the casting flash on the new head and port matched the exhaust manifold.

I dont remember the exact number, but I think we had around .040 shaved from the head to make up for the new style head gasket and larger comb. chamber. I know we could still go another .010 or so on the block if needed down the road.

I ended up having all new valves and springs installed as well. I can tell you, it was the most expensive single head I have ever had done!

When re-assembling everything, I found one thing even the 6 banger guru didnt know. The fuel bowl of my Carter YH would hit the intake runner. (they always used downdraft carbs on the cars). Thus enters the custom made 2" stainless adapter elbow you see the carb mounted on.

In the end - my take is I now have a great running little 6 banger, that still doesnt have enough power to get out of her own way and wont hit 40mph... But, she is a blast to drive, sounds GREAT, and (in my opinion) looks cool with the little bit of polished and chrome accents. It actually gets as many, or maybe even more comments than any of my v8's.

Bottom line is she is once again dependable.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 11:37pm
Hey thanks for the reply. You kind of confirmed the direction I should go. I came to the same conclusion (expense) that you confirmed. When I was adding up the potential of going to a 200 ci head it appeared pretty expensive.

I know you had posted info before regarding your head swap but I just needed a little more information to weigh it all out. Without any real flow info around its kind of educated guessing based others experiences. So few a few modest mods, little heavier valve springs and probably get .015-.020 knocked off the head and get her going.

I was never expecting neck breaking performance, I figured 35 mph might be a good day for it. Has been a little bit of a challenge but very interesting even though it's not a great motor on water or land. Got my block back today and painted, should get the cam bearings and expansion plugs in tomorrow maybe the crank as well ill post some pics when I get down to it . - Thanks!!
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2016 at 9:25pm
Hey Riley or 62 wood if your'e still following this thread I have a small problem I need some information to resolve and you two seem like the potential source of information.
So I have my head disassembled and I am going to replace valve guides and install new valves. got a friend who will do a grind on the seats for me. So moving along slowly.

Anyhow I have my block assembled, with the tranny attached. Quite pleased still have a ways to go. So my question centers around the Mallory distributor of my 170.

I am having an extreme problem finding a cap and rotor for this thing. (3) tries and still not correct. So I contacted Mallory directly to find they have sold marine interests to Sea Star Solutions (Sierra). So I called sea star and what I received was close but not the ticket.
It's a Mallory YL Type 414D. Mallory still made the YL type of distributor however it was slightly bigger.

So if anyone knows what fits this distributor and can provide me with part#S I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic