Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2000 SN Stiff steering

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 9:08pm
Well it's only 0.002-0.003 per side and the rudder moves super smooth until the packing nut is tightened down. Not exactly sure how to check rudder straightness other than a straight edge and look for light but that's a pretty small gap that you'd only be able to see at the perfect angle. Even then, there's no real way to accurately measure it like you can with a driveshaft and a dial indicator.
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Yes, as Kevin asked, are you sure it's the rudder and port?

No but what else can it be if the steering wheel is effortless when the tiller arm is disconnected from the rudder?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 10:55pm
I changed out my 95's last spring when I disconnected the cable the wheel seemed to turn ok. I had to change the helm unit because of the new rack side. Without the wheel on when turned by hand I was surprised that it was not smooth and seemed to bind. The lube in it and in the cable had dried out. I sprayed some lube into the helm unit and it was much better. Might be worth a try,but that alone won't help if it's pulling too.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 12:26am
I tried spraying lube into the rack last year and didn't notice a difference but with fresh grease on the rudder it may help. I may give it a shot soon.

Just for the record, I would absolutely love it if the rudder pulled in one direction. This boat sees most of it's life in a slalom course and it's so much easier to drive when the boat pulls one way.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 2:11am
How about a picture of it,I wonder if it's a replacement or the original?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 8:43am
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 12:25pm
I am convinced your issue is at the rudder and port... also use 3/16 packing... that is the correct size for your rudder!

See photo of rudder port and put zerk there!

The stock trim tab on your rudder will load steering wonderfully once you sort your rudder issue.

Good luck!
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 12:31pm
So even though there is almost 1/2" of clearance, you just squash 3/16" packing?
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

So even though there is almost 1/2" of clearance, you just squash 3/16" packing?
worth a shot. $15, worst case it'll leak a lot, pull boat out and put 1/4" back in there.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 12:59pm
If there is less than 1/4 clearance all around, I would suspect you need 3/16" packing. It will squish. If you put 3/16" packing on a port meant for 1/4", it will leak FAST and will be very obvious. If you install 1/4" where 3/16" belongs, you will get stiff steering. Sounds familiar...
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 2:56pm
If you have the same port I have in my 1999SN... go 3/16" (three wraps). Go with the goretex it is like $6 for a foot and I think that is all you need.

Then set that rudder to about 1/16 or 1/8th at most and you will be set!!!

or..

Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 3:02pm
Ok thanks. We may be able to get the new packing in this weekend. I have a big roll of the goretex stuff in both sizes so it shouldn't be a problem.

May add the extra zerk fitting at the base but we'll see.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 6:12pm
So when you used the proper packing, greased the correct area, and properly set your rudder trim tab... is she steering like a dream now?

Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 6:14pm
Sorry didn't get the chance to change it yet and I head out of town for the next 2 weekends. Hopefully after that I'll be able to work on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic