Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bass Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bass Nautique
    Posted: April-19-2015 at 11:12pm
So...I officially entered the world of boating and Correct Craft Boating no less today.
I was given a 1986 Bass Nautique, in a less then favorable condition. I hope i haven't bitten off more than i can chew, I have restored several cars in my day but this will be my first boat restoration.
I will post some pics up as soon as i figure out how to.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a workshop manual or owners handbook for this vessel. I will need to completely rewire this boat and redo the livewell system and the trolling motor system.
I suspect i will be here on a daily basis looking for help once i get going with the project, i am giving myself 12 months to get it ready.

Thanks and wish me luck...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2015 at 11:22pm
Jim,
Welcome to CCfan and a CC Bass ownership. I don't feel you will find much as far as manuals go. The O/B manual is probably the only thing available in writing. What is hanging on the transom?

Pictures would be great. Use the "post reply" rather than the "quick reply". Click on the tree icon with the up arrow. The box that comes up will allow you to browse your computer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2015 at 11:26pm
THanks Peter....I take some pics tomorrow and get them up.

The O/B is an Evinrude 115....currently lying on top of the boat...dont even know if it runs or not...but an engine is an engine to me, if it has compression i will get it going.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 11:19am
What part of Florida Are you in?
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 11:40am
I'm not super familiar with these boats, but those old johnsons were not a favorite in the world of outboard engines. I owned one, same era but it was the v4 140hp. with the VRO pump. best thing you can ever do to that engine is bypass that VRO and mix the fuel in the tank. its very simple to do, and eliminates a HUGE failure point in those engines and will set your mind at ease while zipping across a lake at WOT.
If the engine was pulled off and discarded onto the deck i would have to make one assumption, That someone was running across a lake and the VRO pump failed, leaned it out and melted the pistons.
So before you spend any money you may want to get some compression numbers and take a good look inside those cyls if possible.
also dont touch the idle adjustment because it is actually part of the timing circuit in those engines.
I don't know what your investment or total endgame is with this boat but you may want to think about looking into re-power which will cover all of your engine wiring because usually O/B will come with a complete harness and controls minus steering.
whenever i look at a boat with an O/B, the boat is what i look at last, the motor is where all the value lies.
Downside will be initial cost, but the plus will be overall satisfaction and reliability.
I believe i still have a factory manual for my johnson, If i can find it, it may be helpfull to you, i plan on never looking at another one of those motors for the rest of my career so its yours if i can find it.
-Tony
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 6:52pm
Im at the Space Coast - Palm Bay..

Good info Tony...the previous owner told me it was running but i take that with a pinch of salt. I have a compression tester which i will check before spending a dime on it. If it looks like it has 120+ psi I will attempt to get it running. Thanks for the heads up regarding the VRO pump, i will bypass it if I decide to proceed with this O/B...
I will keep you all updated. Project will start this weekend.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 8:25pm
I lucked out when mine failed and it injected too much oil so the engine wasnt damaged. my alarm never went off either. and it worked at the time.
There are miles of debates of people trusting these pumps and arguing that bypassing them is a mistake. And its true, when these pumps are working they work good, they cut back on the ratio at idle to keep from fouling and increase the ratio with rpm. I feel the engineers had all the best intentions but in the field it just didn't quite deliver when it came to reliability. so do what you feel is best, but from my experiance any failure point that can be eliminated, should be.
I personally just think people get afraid of math and getting the ratio wrong. 50:1 is what is desired.

If i remember you just unplug the wiring harness that goes to the pump in order to disable the warning alarm and lights in the tach. then i believe you just cut and plug the oil feed line airtight. the unit also encases the fuel pump so it stays on the engine.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 10:07pm
Thanks Tony....
I think i will err on the side of caution and premix myself
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 11:51am
Definitely post up some pictures.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 11:57am
The other big thing I would be concerned about is structural. Again, not knowing how well this boat was taken care of, one of the first areas to check on a 30 year old outboard is the transom. These outboards are heavy, 400 lbs plus. You don't want to hang that on a suspect transom, where all the power is transferred from the engine to make the hull move.

You can rebuild a transom, requires a lot of fiberglass work, but with the Bass Nautique, you would have to remove the top cap (the top of the boat) to be able to rebuild the transom. That is a pretty serious undertaking. Same goes for the stringers, you want to make sure those are solid as well, replacing those can also be done, but it also will be difficult, again, removal of the top cap is probably the best approach.

Hopefully everything will be solid.
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Definitely post up some pictures.

X2 bass nautique are cool .
1972 Mustang
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 6:41pm
transom is toast.....needs to be rebuilt, i knew that going into the project though so no surprises.
I started today removing the rub rail, gonna take the cap off this weekend so i can really check the structure.
Will post some pics shortly..
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 6:52pm
This is what i have gotten myself into

took a quick look underneath the deck today and from what i saw seems to look okay, except for where the gas tank sits.....a bit soft and flaky there...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 6:57pm
Will that is quite the project - Still for what ever reason, I have always liked these boats... Probably because its a correct craft. So is everything you got in the pictures or did you take some of the stuff out already? Seats are gone, SOmebody did some serious cutting on the stern port deck, I think there should be a vent hole there but I don't think it was that big...

What is the plan? Full restoration or just get it back to something you can fish ?
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

- Still for what ever reason, I have always liked these boats... Probably because its a correct craft.

What is the plan? Full restoration or just get it back to something you can fish ?

If it's a correct craft it's beautiful . I hope he does a full restoration, but it won't be easy. I hope to see this boat come to life.
1972 Mustang
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 8:03pm
i hoping for a full restoration job.....thats why i gave myself 12 months to complete it.....i dont want to rush it.
It has been hacked a bit but i can redo the fiberglass for that and yes, the seats are missing......and i've looked for them and cant find any anywhere, might end up having to make something from scratch.

I will be taking lots of pictures and some video for youtube .
Will post them as and when.....
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 8:04pm
ohh.....as a side note, the trailer is the original correct craft too....so i have a matching pair...gonna paint it up in the same style as the boat
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 8:38pm
Jim,
I haven't had to do a metal flake gel myself but have seen several restorations and they do turn out great. The metal flake hides alot of the base gel imperfections!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 8:46pm
I spent 10+ years fishing a SlingShot (exact same hull and appears to be same deck if iirc) and I remember rather basic flip seats readily still available.
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 8:46pm
good tip....i got all the spray equipment at home (used to modify cars)....might need to get a larger tip though...not sure what sizes i have...
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

I spent 10+ years fishing a SlingShot (exact same hull and appears to be same deck if iirc) and I remember rather basic flip seats readily still available.

will the standard flip seats fir inside the scoop bases for the fixed seats ?
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 8:50pm
Yeah I believe. When I get to a real computer I'll try to post the ones I mean. Gonna try to find pics too but bet my parents have them, surely I have pictures. I heard Ranger used the same hull also.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 9:07pm
Ready for the restoration thread to begin, very cool.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Yeah I believe. When I get to a real computer I'll try to post the ones I mean. Gonna try to find pics too but bet my parents have them, surely I have pictures. I heard Ranger used the same hull also.

Thanks Todd

Be good to get eyes on something that should fit....
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 9:14pm
Cant wait to get started on this project.......she's gonna be a beaut' when she's done.....
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 10:39pm

Looking through the reference section from 1984, I see the Bass Nautique had a more "deluxe" style interior with built in seats rather the folding generic seats the Sling Shot had. The Sling Shot def had the folding seats at the consoles and at the casting decks just like the Bass Nautique shows for casting chairs. Maybe the two manufacturers had a standard and deluxe option? The folding chairs had "Sling Shot" screen printed on the backs so they were original and worked quite well bc at night we'd just fold them then cover with a garbage bag to keep morning dew off. The only difference I can see and remeber bt the two beside the seats is the Sling Shot consoles had a squared shape.

1984 brochure
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 10:51pm
you're right

looks like i might have to fabricate the seats....doubtful i will find spare seats anywhere...

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 11:08pm
Bass Nautique 2018 - In just three more years it will be new! Great find - enjoy the journey!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Bass Nautique 2018 - In just three more years it will be new! Great find - enjoy the journey!

Does that mean he could sell it for $200k or trade it in for a G25? Gosh boats are to expensive these days .
1972 Mustang
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Chevy350 Chevy350 wrote:

Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Does that mean he could sell it for $200k or trade it in for a G25? Gosh boats are to expensive these days .

my devious plan has been rumbled......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic