Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

89 nautique no power to dash panel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Itsj0nathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itsj0nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 89 nautique no power to dash panel
    Posted: April-19-2015 at 5:25am
so im replacing the lower dash panel on my nautique. Had to cut the original panel indicator light wires and pigtail them back once the new panel was placed on. I hit the blower breaker and it worked fine same with the bilge. Once i hit the ignition it worked for a split second then everything went completely dead. Ive checked the wiring and it seems fine. Ive check the 50 in the back of the engine and it seems fine, unless u have to hit that red button down w a hammer.   Even when i put the key in the ignition i have no power. Thoughts? Tips?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2015 at 8:11am
Jon,
I suggest you get the VOM out and check were you have lost the volts. Since you state you had the power for a split second, I suspect the wiring is not correct and a fuse is blown. Start at the 50 amp breaker and move forward. What indicated to you that the ignition did work for that split second?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itsj0nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2015 at 2:53pm
The dash indicator light came on for a split second. Where are all of the fuses located?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itsj0nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2015 at 4:49pm
Could the ignition breaker have blown causing all power im the dash panel to go out?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2015 at 6:06pm
Jon,
As mentioned,the VOM is what is needed to get some readings on voltage. If you don't have one, the less expensive ones are around $20. They come with instructions but are pretty basic and easy to use. You will also find one handy around the house and car/truck.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2015 at 6:38pm
Jon,
Here's a basic wiring diagram (by Tim) that may help. Check if you get power to the 20 amp hot dash feed and to the ignition switch. Then check the load side of each and get back to us.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itsj0nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 4:31am
So it seems like ive gotten it to work. Prior to i didnt need a key in the run position for the panel lights to work. For whatever reason I stuck it in there gave it about 30seconds and power was back. One thing i did notice or from what i remember is if i turned the key into the run psotion my gas gauge would show me my fuel. Right now it doesnt move when i flip it to on... Since i havemt ran it in a while would that be the reason or is something not properly working?
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 5:15am
I posted a colorized and labled dash wiring diagram in the other thread. Just make sure everything is connected correctly. PM me if you need a larger version. Without the key and the ignition breaker switch "on", you should have power to the clock and the rest of your breaker switches. Dash lights should be tied into your nav light switch. The rest of the gauges should be tied to the key ignition switch on the purple side. As Pete mentioned above, you'll need a Volt-Ohm Meter to see what is going on. For the fuel gauge you will want to verify it is getting power and that you are getting resistance from the sender at the dash 33-240 ohms. I first ruled out my sender by checking the resistance at the sender first, then moved my way up testing at each connection.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Itsj0nathan Itsj0nathan wrote:

So it seems like ive gotten it to work. Prior to i didnt need a key in the run position for the panel lights to work. For whatever reason I stuck it in there gave it about 30seconds and power was back. One thing i did notice or from what i remember is if i turned the key into the run psotion my gas gauge would show me my fuel. Right now it doesnt move when i flip it to on... Since i havemt ran it in a while would that be the reason or is something not properly working?

Jon,
You need to check your wiring. It sure sounds like it hasn't been wired correctly when you did the panel. We've recommended you get a VOM several times. Again, it's a handy tool. The 30 seconds is concerning. Do you have a friend who may be more familiar with electrics that could help? You don't want to burn anything up.

Follow Colin's advice on the fuel gauge but again you will need a VOM especially for Ohming out the sender. Besides the hot to the gauge, the resistance at the sender, make sure the sender is grounded as well as the tank.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2015 at 9:49am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jon,
You need to check your wiring. It sure sounds like it hasn't been wired correctly when you did the panel. We've recommended you get a VOM several times. Again, it's a handy tool. The 30 seconds is concerning. Do you have a friend who may be more familiar with electrics that could help? You don't want to burn anything up.

Jon,
Have you found the problem?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic