NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Prop

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Sleepyone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Prop
    Posted: April-16-2015 at 4:46pm
Ok i have been reading all the post i can possibly find concerning props and can pretty much say WOW. I have gotten confused.LOL
I had posted i wanted a Prop for a 1987 Ski Nautique with a 454 and this is NOT a Barefoot Hull but a 2001 Hull. It currently has a 14 x 14 Federal right hand turn with a 1" bore and I have the 1.1 Tranny.
So i have been told a Acme 3 blade # 470 with about .040 cup taken out of it and I have been told a OJ 13 X15.5 # 428   So still dont know ! i do not ski or barefoot just ride the fresh water rivers and look good. I do want the boat to pick up some top speed but also have herd this is not likely with just a prop change over the Federal 14x14. So anybody have any ideas.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 5:02pm
I had an 85 with the 454. Went with the 1598. Top speed was right at 50mph @ 4400rpms. Don't really know if I picked up any top end speed, but I didn't care, it was an improvement in every other way.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 5:14pm
A 14" diameter Federal prop is dangerously close on an 87 Ski. You are going to rash the hull.

Who told you to get a 470? There are a handful of Acmes I would by before a 470 for your application. The Acme 1598 as C-Bass suggested is at the top of the list . Mighty expensive investment in looks for something under water...
Sleepyone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 6:17pm
The 14 X 14 Federal was what came on the 87 with the 454 in them as a factory prop. So its been no change and talking with the Prop guys they told me the same. I am at 48 with a GPS at 4400 rpm with 2 people in boat with the stock manifold and 600 carb. I installed a Edelbrock manifolf and have a new Quickfuuel 750 Mech secondary Marine carb on it now but have not ran for a baseline since last summer.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 6:22pm
Stock would have been a 650. I am not sure you will pick up much with the 750. a 330 hp big block just doesn't really need much more than 600-650 for the rpm it turns. Which manifold is it running?

Listen to the prop Gurus here on that boat.

I will be interested to know how it preforms with the Mechanical Secondaries.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 6:23pm
14x14 was the stock BAREFOOT prop in 1987. You should have had a 13x15.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 8:12pm
13x15 *should* have been the stock prop as 14" would be tight on clearance... But who knows.

I don't anticipate you picking up any speed but the 1598 is the right prop for that hull and engine. 470 is too steep and the oj is waaaay to steep (it acts like it has at least 1" more pitch than the 470).

Didn't we already discuss the 1598 in your other thread?
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 9:44pm
Which intake are you running? Still have stock heads? The only Edelbrock that comes close to matching the peanut ports is the 2.0 but has spreadbore carb .Using an RPM would mean real turbulence issues and pooling don't see any performance gains with that combo.Over carbing wont help either.
Sleepyone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 10:16am
Yes it has the Performer 2.0 on it and yes a new spread bore carb. Had engine out and ran on dyno ( yes my best friend builds comp racing engines for a living and owns the shop ) with old carb and manifold and changed on the dyno to new carb and manifold so yes it is better than before. Baseline run was 328 before and with carb and intake change it was 352 and moved the torgue up more in the power band but HP was till at about the same rpm due to stock cam shaft. The stock cast intake is restrictive along with the factory aluminum spacer plate that dont match up well causes reversion. I have a 4 hole spacer on a 20 degree angle between the carb and intake matched up with this setup. Along with a Davis Unified HEI Marine Ignition so i have a very hot spark.

So with that out of the way and again stating that my need will be only to ride and not ski what and how do you guys think the OJ 428 or the 1598 will will work? If the 428 is too much what will it do? Cavitate or just run too many RPM- Realy like to option that OJ has if it dont work return it and dose ACme do the same.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 10:24am
I would love to see the dyno charts to see how the stock engine performs!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 10:33am
Again, the 428 is too much prop whether you have a 330hp, 350hp or even a 500hp 454.   It is unlikely your engine would pull it 4000rpm, you'll never get to peak power. It'll be a dog out of the hole and be a few mph slower up top.

1598 is the right prop for 454ci in that hull.

How'd you spin the dyno backwards?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 10:42am
There is no reason not to select a propeller that returns optimal performance.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 10:43am
performance = looks

SO WHICH ONE IS IT SMART GUY??
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 10:44am
Some dynos work either way. My 90 ski had a 4 blade oj 13x14, the holeshot thru was scary, never gpsd it but it would have been lucky to hit 50 and if I remember correctly it turned about 4800 with the aluminum heads, 1.7 rockers and performer intake.
Brian
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 11:19am
Ok, so not trying to stir the pot here, but just trying to learn... The stock prop was 13 x 15, and the recommended prop is the 1598 which is 13 x 14. I believe the common performance indicator is (and this is part of what I am trying to learn), if you drop an inch in pitch expect to pick up about 250 rpm's (again looking for confirmation).

So assuming the factory chose the 13 x 15 to maximize performance, if he dropped an inch in pitch, the revs would start to get above the peak performance, however moving to a CNC prop (such as the ACME) from a forged prop (like the factory would have shipped) also pull the revs down about 250 rpm because they are so much more efficient (again, seeking confirmation).

So if he has now warmed up the engine from 328 HP (essentially stock performance, btw impressive that a 28 year old 454 is still putting out close to stock HP numbers) to 350 HP, and also bumped up the torque numbers, wouldn't it make sense that he should be able to pull at least an inch more of pitch or 13 x 15. Of course their is no ACME 13x15, so you would have to go to the 224 which is a 4 blade, 4 blade equals more drag and is probably slower (right?) or the 1442 (my new favorite prop) which is 13.25x15. He would be going up a 1/4 inch in diameter (1/8 inch closer to the hull) which should not produce hull rash and have minimal impact on revs.

Ideally, go to an mini reunion, generally their are tons of different props floating around that could be tried. Not many prop shops have trial programs, I don't know what ACME's policy is but I do know they are great to work with.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 11:30am
X" of pitch on a blade Federal is equal to (X-1)" on an Acme

[3-blade to 3-blade]

Which is why the 540 (13x12) is a good replacement for the original 13x13 on the 1:1 240hp Ski Nautiques. Blade area is mostly to blame.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 11:31am
Sorry Steve but your numbers and rationale are way off.

An inch of pitch is closer to a difference of 700-800rpm, all else being equal. At least on the acmes. It is very tough to compare 2 very different props based solely on their dimensions (which are often inaccurate or rounded) as there are a number of other factors that determine how they perform and how many revs they turn at WOT.

The advice given above comes from personal experience on how the props compare to each other on the hull/engin in question and others very similar. Too much info to repeat here while typing on he phone while driving in the rain on the way to WL... But a bunch of it is posted here if one were to dig around. Threads discussing bfn props are most applicable as they more commonly got the 454 and the 2001 hull performs very similar (in terms of size and efficiency) given stock-ish power levels. The bfn hull was notches to clear 14" diam props in 80-81 but all of the modern options are 13" or less so all of the same options would apply to a 2001 as well.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 11:38am
Thanks Tim, yes I was way off, which is why I asked. I don't know why I can't remember the 700 - 800 number...

I know you have done the most prop testing and also probably have one of the highest HP 454's so CLEARLY your recommendation would be spot on (and the best way to get into a prop without having to test and spend extra money on shipping). I also now remember the discussion on the notch, so that makes sense.

Typing while driving!!! Hope your not pulling a trailer too...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 11:56am
Ha no trailer yet... Grabbing the '79 at Larry's in a few hours.

Remember that you should have seen about a 200rpm difference between your 422 (15.5" pitch) and 1442 (15" pitch). The differences aren't quite as big on a 1:1 (theoretically 23%)... So maybe 600rpm difference for an inch of pitch on a 1:1.

I have not seen any difference in rpms in 3 vs 4 blades, all else equal. Performance changes a bit (4-blades have a little more out of the hole, 3-blades are faster) but rpm and pitch are consistent.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 12:30pm
What effect does cup have on a prop Tim? I was thinking of taking some off on the spare 380 I have to spin it a little faster,after I run it to see if it runs the same as the one already on. The Shamrock has its recommended 13x13 on it too,somewhere it's losing a thousand rpm's so it will need some help too. Reid suggested a 13x12.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 12:33pm
a THOUSAND? I thought my boat was under performing...
Sleepyone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 12:38pm
Thanks Tim ! your knowledge is very helpful. With the different manufactures of Props it seems you get all kind of answers as well. I appreciate your help without the Sarcastic remarks as others present. This boat is a one owner with 480 hours on the boat and engine. So boat is still in the family and out of storage. No need to pay the $65,000 for a new one.LOL All original interior but have replaced carb,ignition and wires and some hoses and all belts. Ran it some last summer but getting it ready for this year with improvements.

The Prop stuff is just confussing to me and it has the 14 x 14 Federal on it so trying to understand how a smaller prop with same pitch helps.LOL   Skutsch and I are on the same page as just asking !   With all that is said there isnt a Prop out there that will really make a large differance on top in MPH?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 12:41pm
They are not fast to begin with but Dad put some little 2bbl on it so I'm going to change that back and it does have bottom paint too-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 12:41pm
Gary, 302 in the shamrock? Eric had the same combo and we put a 13x10.5 acme on it and it was still too much prop, lol. It was good for about 3800-4000 and 36mph or so.

Adding cup is like adding pitch... Kinda. It won't have the same negative effect on holeshot, so that is a bonus. It can sometimes be a good tool to dial in rpm closer to a target, but it's effective range isn't huge. .080-.105" is typical. Acme offers a few in the .135-.150" range but they're outliers. I've found that adding cup beyond the "normal range" can dial rpm back a bit, but it does not come with an associated increase in speed, even if your wot rpm's end up closer to your target. My theory is that the extra cup makes the prop blade less efficient. If you want to increase rpm, reducing cup might be beneficial, but I probably wouldn't go below .050-.060".
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 12:45pm
You might already have the fast prop on,for some reason Federals top out better than others,but in my limited experience it is only by a little. The others have a big difference in idle thru midrange where you really can use it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Sleepyone Sleepyone wrote:

With all that is said there isnt a Prop out there that will really make a large differance on top in MPH?

Nope, no such thing as magic beans, I'm afraid.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

They are not fast to begin with

Nobody said anything about speed. Leaving a thousand RPM on the table isn't helping anything.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 12:55pm
Yes on the 302 Tim.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 1:02pm
13x9 oj might be a better place to start Gary.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 1:54pm
Just push harder on the throttle lever Gary!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic