Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cover recommendation for storing outside

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cover recommendation for storing outside
    Posted: April-15-2015 at 5:17pm
Hoping to pick a a boat very soon. Unfortunately I will have to store it outside at least for now. I'm a little concerned about the gel coat and keeping the interior in good shape. Any recommendations/suggestions for storing outside and cover recommendations?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 5:29pm
Sunbrella waterline cover. Brand options vary depending on how old the boat is. Budget 800-1000.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 5:40pm
Angola Canvas Co or The Canvas Shoppe (aka skiboatcovers.com) both make nice covers available in Sunbrella (and other materials). I wouldn't consider anything but a "water line" fit either. Off the shelf they're the only ones I trust.

Angola covers can be ordered through Zach at N3.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 11:18pm
This was my 96 Sport. I paid ~1,100 7 years ago. It served me well for outside storage
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

This was my 96 Sport. I paid ~1,100 7 years ago. It served me well for outside storage

For some reason can't post pictures right now
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 11:25pm
[/IMG]
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 8:45am
Our boat came with this cover when we got her a few years back. The only thing I would recommend is vented pole caps so there's some air flow under the cover. Ours has worked quite well.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 9:07am
Great pics guys. Looks like there is nowhere that the sun can hit the boat. Do the dark colors cause a problem with too much heat in the summer?
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 9:08am
As I recall, Nautique hunters wife does custom covers and they are at lake Lanier ga not far from the upstate. You might pm him for details.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 9:29am
I would agree with the vents,otherwise you would be fine keep in mind always best to let the boat dry as much as possible before covering / storing. A wet / dry sh vac works great and you get to benefit of clean carpets the next time out.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 10:03am
I run damp rid buckets front and rear every time I put mine away.

I think a 4 pack is like 5 or 6 bucks.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 10:39am
Jeff on Planet Nautique.com use to speak about on of his sponsors that made a nice ratchet fit with no poles cover. I believe the company was call cover sport or coverall. If you troll on that site and do a search you may be able to figure it out.

Six years ago, I purchases a ratchet fit Rankin Cover ($900) from Washington State, but they are out of business. I only wish that I sprung for the optional side skirts (removable), or waterline cover that are seen above. It was not a lot more money. Also, I bought blue Sunbrella to match the boat, and the blue is a PITA to keep clean. I wish I would of purchased black in hind site.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 10:53am
Seen these guys at the Masters at Callaway Gardens the last couple years. Pretty impressive covers and they even made a cover for the 61 SN which is usually stored inside at HQ. Pricey though!

Outer Armor
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 11:28am
No vents needed with sunbrella, it's breathable. No problem with dark covers here in New England.

Skirts can be added to any cover after the fact with zippers or velcro, that's how rankin did it. I love my rankin for towing (Coversports would be similar) but it's a serious pita to put on for storage. I don't use it much- I have a mooring cover that gets used more regularly.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 11:37am
I use, I guess it's a mooring style/trailer-able cover with a bow behind the doghouse and then I cover it with a quality 12x20 tarp. The water line is covered completely and from front to back it falls just right to allow good ventilation. I also put fan in front and rear on top of towels so no rust stains and prop the doghouse open.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 12:36pm
I have had pretty good customer feed back from this product and they have a lot of Correct Craft Patterns. http://www.tumacscovers.com/site/
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 3:42pm
I have an old Southwind 20 and would like to get a sunbrella cover for it.   Most likely a semi-custom cover and not custom made. Any suggestions on who to buy it from?
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 3:51pm
Angola canvas is probably your only hope.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic