NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dayton, OH-Opinions bt 2 boats

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dayton, OH-Opinions bt 2 boats
    Posted: April-15-2015 at 8:57am
Would there happen to be a member near Eaton? Available to verify a boat? Thanks.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 10:55am
Todd, I will be coming back to KY from Columbus Saturday. Depending on my obligations I might be able to swing towards Eaton to check out a boat for you. I am discerning and can take a boat-load of photos.

J
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 11:06am
Where are you stopping in KY?
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 11:27am
Lexington is home base for me. Going to Columbus for a concert on Friday night. Saturday might need to rendezvous with a friend to visit the horse track (previous commitment, but still waiting to see if he heads south) and that would cut into my schedule, depending.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 11:51am
Pm sent.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 4:17pm
Here's the deal-e-o:

Have it narrowed down to two boats. Dayton and Atlanta.
Dayton: 980miles ~15 hours without trouble.

Asking 8250. 733 hours. Owned boat 8 years. Only replaced steering cable 3 years ago. 6 year old tires (fat chance them surviving the trip. Has 10 year old Perfect Pass that he never used. Disconnected. What's the chances/reliability of unit working again? What may need to be replaced on the PP or whats compatible to make it current?    Has a mangled fender. Owner says theres some fading on gelcoat, waiting for more pics and video. Looks like minor rust on trailer. Comes with supposedly a barely never used bimini, mooring cover, and barefoot boom. I have no use for a barefoot boom but could use it in a few years for training a little one to ski ;) Doesn't have original mirror and a numb nut PO located radio in dash in mirror location (this actually is a quite probable deal breaker)

Atlanta: 450 miles, 6 hour drive

Never done anything to boat. 485 hours. owned 8 years. supposedly ran once or twice a year for past 5 years, registration confirms. No PP. Needs a major wet sand, full decals and pin stripes. Ideas on cost? Trailer needs full rehab. Has New tires. Bimini needs redone. Asking 9k, I offered 7800 6 weeks ago, then bumped up to 8200 which I partly think is too high. Owner refuses to take less than 8800, thus far. Mr. Morfoot was kind enough to check on this boat for me. Close ups of the bad.

Which would you choose? Difference in fuel cost bt the two is probably $450. My biggest concern is functionality of PP.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 4:22pm
Ugh...

Dayton:

Atlanta:

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 4:26pm
You do love the purple boats... You should offer Marty a pile of cash for his!
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 4:30pm
I offered, in my mind, a pile of cash to Marty, And added to it twice. He loves that boat more than money which I admire and kinda makes me want it more. Wife won't let me have another blue boat.
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 4:49pm
Were the interior/ motor pics of the Dayton boat taken recently? It looks brand spanking new if they are current.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 5:24pm
I love the purple '93 boats so I'm a fan of this search.

Decals are $114/side at Nautique Parts.com. I think with the pinstripe, which comes in 150' rolls and shipping it was like 280. Figure all the rest of the little decals and the PEF plaque adding another 50-100.00 on top of that. Consider a more conservative purple pinstripe color like gray.

Refurbishing each side with wetsanding and then a 3-stage polish budget at least 1 weekend, maybe 2, worth of absolutely horrible, horrible labor.

Regarding PP components, the only thing you'll really want to hang on to is the servo unit which probably still works. Any upgrade after about 2006 (PPv6.5) or so requires the bigger PP display and a new master module anyway. Budget 230 for the new PP display, and 600 or so for the Stargazer upgrade SG Upgrade. I'd also consider Z-box a no-brainer but I'm a course snob so YMMV. If you want to mess with magnets, wind, crew, skier weight, KX/PX options, etc. you could always revive the old existing PerfectPass but I'd say no thanks on that option.

I'd get the right boat, THEN get PP squared away in either case. Interior condition is so important and behind that is major gel/hull damage IMO. Engine stuff can be fixed and gel fading can be buffed/sanded out, stickers can be replaced, etc. I'd want the least abused, most loved boat in general.

Other than the radio I think the Dayton boat wins.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

6 year old tires (fat chance them surviving the trip.)   

Really? 6 year old tires shot, maybe in FL, but in the midwest I would think you would be okay. I think the tires on my Boatmate are probably closer to 10 years and they still look great.

Cripes I towed a trailer over 800 miles with tires older then dirt, the sidewalls were even cracked, I went with the "lets see how far we can make it before we have to use the spare" adage, and I'll be darned if I didn't make it all the way home (surprised even me).
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 5:58pm
Dayton pics were taken end of last summer just before it was put away for the winter. It spent past 8 years in a boat house during the summer. I'm waiting for the guys granddaughter to come by to take more pics/video/face chat time. I'd get a better feeling about the overall condition then.

Good info Joel on the PP. I think thats what appeals to me the most about the Dayton boat as per the conversation the owner and I had today, it's out of date. I'm really clueless and new to PP. I know more questions will come about PP.

I've had terrible luck with trailers and take the utmost care and precaution one can with trailers. Long story short the worst experience I've had towing was on a 700 mile trip had all the studs shear off on the same side. 10k pound camper at 70 mph dragging on its belly. By the time I rolled to a stop the hubs, springs, shackles, and axles sheared/burned off. SPent 23 hours there and $2k before I could continue. The other worse incident was the day I bought my 76 SN, pulled into granny in laws driveway and the county's drainage pipe collapsed from the weight of my truck, boat axle fell square into it, back of boat was in NC HWY 135 sitting on rudder and prop. I wanted to die.

So new tires and bearings before I'd leave Dayton.
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 1:39pm
You may have seen my story on bringing my 89' 2001 home last month. Right bearing went on trip back to Northern Ohio from Louisville area. Lucked out as it did not damage hub or boat. trailer had no spare either so I was running under luck.

Now need to get a spare to make sure trips are safe.
1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic