NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1986 project assembly

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 project assembly
    Posted: March-26-2015 at 7:44am
Hi All, Well I have started my project I recently acquired. Here are some pics when I first started.

I stared first with the trailer, new wiring, lights, wood and carpet.

I even replaced the existing wheel wells due to the staples on the top edge.

Finished

Shawn
1986 SN 2001
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 7:54am
As I was going over the boat this is what I found.

After I saw this I lifted up the boat and checked everywhere to make sure there wasn't any more damage hiding. This is the only one and it is right under the stringer....so out came the grinder...

Once I started grinding I realized it wasn't as bad or deep as it seemed.

Two layers on

Third layer

Sanded down

Painted
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 8:02am
Shawn,
Since you mentioned the stringers, have you checked their condition?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 8:09am
Then next was installing the Rope in the Rub Rail and adding pinstriping between the colors. I found some tips on this site on how to install the rope, I started with 1/2" rope from home depot and used a 1/2" copper pipe to slide it in, it took less that 1/2 hour to do. The side in the shade was harder than the side in the sun. It was 75°f that day.

Then I decided to sand down the deck and apply teak oil to it...it had some varnish, gooey, stuff on it that didn't look good.

Back end with decals added

Before

After
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 8:15am
Yes I did check the stringers by tapping a deep socket all around and they sound solid. the only bad spot in the floor is around the ski pole which I will be replacing soon.
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2015 at 5:39pm
Here is some updates

Before

After

Some side graphics

And my parts for the engine finally came!
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2015 at 6:52pm
So I got a new press

And this is my helper who helped assembled the press.

New shaft bearrings

So I pressed out the old, and got some great advice In the General Question forum for adding dimples to the new bearings.

Made marks on the bearings and the shaft to line up both bearings.

Then I used a drill bit to dimple the bearings, notice the tape on drill bit for how deep to drill. Then I used blue lock tight for the set screws.

Engine essembly time!

Well I got the camshaft, crankshaft installed, pressed the pistons to the connecting rods, rings on the pistons and one piston installed. Hopefully I can get some more done next weekend...as long as the honey-do-list doesn't get too long!
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2015 at 7:45pm
Any upgrades to the motor?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2015 at 8:46pm
did you bore the block tank cleaned and new cam bearings?

former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2015 at 8:47pm
oh and whats the bike (2 wheeled) in the background ?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2015 at 9:38pm
skutsch, mild cam from Sealed Power and bored .060 over

peter1234, All machine work and cleaaning done, new bearings for crank, rods and camshaft. Also a new oil pump. Reconditoned carburator from Eldelbrock has been ordered. Heads are rebuilt too, nothing special.

1999 Harley Night train.
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2015 at 2:03pm
updates on engine assembly

mini me helping

time to put the heads together

getting there
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 2:38pm
Rebuilt the Impellar

Engine coming together

Fixing the wiring hack job from PO

Trim the Flexplate

Engine mounts came in the mail today, bought them from a CCF member.
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 3:13pm
Can you get a reverse rotation cam from sealed power or are you going with standard rotation?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 3:18pm
take that fram off now -- it's junk!
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 3:40pm
Nice thread Shawn... motor looks to be sorted nicely!

I think the little lady wants to be in the water by mid June... keeping daddy focused!

Good luck!
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 5:02pm
The cam I believe is a Comp Cam, the previous owner(s) had torn it all apart, had the machine work done and had ordered the bearings, cam oil pump. I had to order pistons and gasket kit. the cam is a reverse rotation, when I read about it I panicked and started doing the research, the crank casting is reverse rotation, so I held the cam up to the motor and spun it around and checked the lobes and it is reverse, double checked when I adjusted the valves.

Funny this is I just was looking up fuel filters and I was amazed at how everyone does not like fram, even read some good reasons why they are junk, so I will change it.

Yes the little one is looking forward to being on the water, she/we had a blast last summer with a friends boat.
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by cueball cueball wrote:

Yes the little one is looking forward to being on the water, she/we had a blast last summer with a friends boat.

Shawn,
Hurry up so you can get her out on ski's! NOT TUBES!!

The build is looking great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 8:13pm
Just wait until the day she pulls you skiing. Way cool feeling!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 1:32pm
More stuff bolted on the engine, new engine mounts sand blasted and installed, also tranny is installed now. Soon engine will be in the boat.

Shawn
1986 SN 2001
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 3:20pm
Is that a 1.25" hose clamped down to a 1" strainer outlet barb? The hose looks really squeezed. Make sure that's the right size fitting, highly susceptible air leak otherwise.
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 4:48pm
you are correct, I am going to change that and install a hose connection there, that was the previous owners handy work. I've already fixed 3 other bad connections just in hoses and have ordered the water pump hose to fit correctly.
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2015 at 9:17pm
Sanding down the floor, still had alot of carpet still glued to it

Cut out a bad patch

Painted some sealer for some extrax protection

And of course I had a helper

I pulled off the siding to slide some 10ft 4x6's in the rafters

Time to install the engine

Had to deflate the tires so the engine could clear the boat

Engine is in, waiting for some parts I have ordered, hopefully I will be starting it this weekend

Im glad I decided to change the fuel filter
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 11:55pm
Time to start the engine

But some idiot (NOT ME) had bolted the platform thru the gas tank!!!!! I poured about 2 gallons of gas in the tank, then I heard it running out the drain to the ground.

What a bummer!
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 9:14am
It can be welded, no biggie.
At least they bolted it down when I got my '85 every time I filled it up and started driving I would get a strong gas odor. After some investigation I found the PO never bolted it back down after removal and the only thing keeping it in place was the connection at the filler neck. Needless to say the neck cracked around the base and when you would turn hard the tank would shift and the crack would open a gas would slosh out.
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 1:46am
That sucks gun-driver
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 2:07am
So on Friday I picked up my gas tank from the local welder here in Vacaville, Webbs welding. Highly recommend them. And hopefully will get the boat started today

So I get the gas tank installed and try to fire up the boat!!! I'm so excited and nervous! So after a few attempts to fire her, I decided to check TDC. I popped off the dizzy cap and bumped the starter to get to TDC and I realized something not good.......the dizzy is spinning clock wise........
First thought....oh crap
Second thought....I can just switched the wires around
Third thought....what about the oil pump.......
So I pulled the dizzy out and tried to prime the pump clockwise and it doesn't work.....Major bummer. So I posted in general questions "Help!!! Timing Issues!!!" if you want to look at it.
So basically I have the wrong camshaft and distributer....long story, see help!!! timing issues!!! post
So I'm taking a break from this project due to vacation coming up. I will be ordering a camshaft after my vacations are over in the middle of August (hopefully sooner)
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 3:06am
I have a RR stock cam I'll let go cheap.
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2016 at 5:40am
Well it has been a while since I been on here, but I'm back at working on the boat. This project has been madding with the whole reverse/standard rotation! Especially since this project has parts that differ from original.

Tine to pull the engine and verify the crank wick lines one more time before I make the next move.

So, I was wrong, the wick lines are standard rotation, also the transmission pump is set up for LH rotation, and this project came with two starters and the extra one is a standard rotating starter......
So I have a standard rotation engine....

Well while the engine is out I decided to install a oil drain hose, I had the wrong dip stick, so I found on this site a oil capacity test they did, and I followed it and fabricated the dipstick.

I also replaced the front main seal to a standard rotation seal

I also got the correct thermostat housing from a member and ordered the correct thermostat. I also ordered a new water pump, just because of the whole reverse/standard rotating thing. So the engine is back in the boat, and tomorrow evening I am picking up my carb and hopefully I will get it running on Wednesday!
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2016 at 6:09am
I also put new bearings, rims and tires on the trailer.

Glad I did, Found that the rear seals were leaking and the brakes were covered in grease. the other side was worse.

So I cleaned everything up and put new studs in the drums.

Drilled out the center caps

All done.
So while I was working on this I noticed one of the leaf springs is sagging and upon closer inspection, one leaf is cracked and broken, and the others are buckling. so new leaf springs are on the way.
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic