Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 1979 Ski Tique Resto-Mod Story

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Jetties2014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetties2014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 11:08pm
Hey nice post about the restoration, and nice boat. I just move to CT from TX and picked up a Ski Tique on the way up. I am restoring the boat and just purchase a new swim platform. I was wondering if you would be willing to sell your original platform brackets? If you still have them.....let me know, thank. John.
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 7:39am
Jetties, I ended up reusing 2 of the 3 Tique brackets so I don't think I'll be much help with originals. Post a thread in the wanted section, perhaps somebody else here has some. If not PM me, I'd be happy to quote some fabricated replicas.

Speaking of fabrication; Here's one of last nights projects.

I though about buying them from Christines, but I didn't want to wait for them to arrive. Some scrap HDPE plastic + 15 min on the mill and I was good to go.

Jetties2014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetties2014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2015 at 10:23am
If only we could all have our own machine shop!! Cool with the platform mounts, guess I should have figured. I ordered a new set from alloy marine last night, should be good to go. If you ever get bored and decide you want to make another ski pole hook up like the one on your boat I'll buy it :). Looks awesome and allows easy hook up for a skylon.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 1:27am
I gotta agree with Larry....just so impressed with what some of you guys just "whip up"......

nice job all around!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 7:58am
It was a weekend of "firsts": The first time towing the Tique with my new truck, first tank of gas (post-rebuild), and most importantly the first time turning the key with the motor in the boat.

Cooling water, shot of ether & IT'S ALIVE!

Test Fire

Such a sweet, sweet sound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 8:34am
With the driveway test completed the next step was a trip to the lake. Since there's still ice on part of the lake we didn't want to leave anything to chance so we brought our own tow boat in case something happened.

There's no going back now. As I pulled into the boat ramp parking lot I realized I was more nervous about this test then I was on my wedding day.

Short of sinking or catching fire I was going to be happy with the outcome of the testing. With both boats launched it was time to cruise the ice filled waters and see if all our hard work paid off.

Once through slush we were good to go.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 8:48am
Of course no ski boat test is complete with out a test pull. 40 degree water or not my buddy was determined to be the first skier of the year + the first skier of the Tique.

Ski Tique - First Pull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 8:59am
Of course the test did yield some things I need to work on:

1.) When on the trailer idling (700-800 RPM) and shifted into fwd / rev the transmission clunks and makes noise. It has a relatively clean neutral and the noise seems to go away / get better above 1000 rpm. I was advised by TRBenj that it's most likely the damper. I didn't even notice it during the lake testing. I'm going to hash out following problems and revisit this one later.

2.) The ATF is milky. I changed it once and it got a little better, but it could just be optimism. I'm going to change it 1-2 more times before I go pulling the cooler.

3.) The carb leaks fuel from the boosters, especially after shutdown. I've ordered a carb kit and plan on starting fresh with a rebuild

4.) It could use a new battery, simple fix.

Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 12:53pm
I think this post / boat embodies the spirit of this site really well.

It looks like you guys are having a ton of fun on that thing.

Awesome!
1999 Ski Nautique 196
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 1:42pm
Very cool Andy. Love the enthusiasm and excitement about your boat.
Going to be a great summer.....enjoy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 3:04pm
   The boat test wasn't the only thing Tique related I got to do this past weekend. After wrapping up a few customer projects I decided to make a little something for myself.
    CNC plasma cut from .083 steel sheet the sign is approximately 24 x 16 and once painted should make a perfect addition to the garage.
   Of course I show it to my wife and she said I should have cut a few more signs that read: "broken" or "not broken" to hang below.

The picture was from my float test this past fall.

wataugasn84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 7:22pm
Great finish to great thread!! This is why I am on this site. Makes me feel like a wuss, No ice here and still waiting on warmer weather.
Watuugasn84
xarmypilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 8:31pm
Hey Andy, great thread & excellent work . What a really nice boat you've got there!

Any regrets from your friend taking that first pull? It's (finally) creeping into the 70's here and I'm still feeling the cold after watching that vid...     
'87 SN 2001
'68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 7:31am
Great Job! I like the wife's idea, although I think I sense some sarcasm there!?
Js

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 12:00pm
No regrets on the pull, my buddy has been the first skier on the lake for the past 20 years except 1 year, when I beat him to it. We didn't know each other at the time, but we were pretty much destine to be friends if your both crazy enough to ski when there's still ice on the lake.

It's not our first time playing in the frigid waters. It's normally not that bad if you say ON the water. Fall IN an you start questing your dedication the sport. Makes you a better skier that way.

St. Patty's day 2011. Water temp was 36, but it was sunny & 70. How could we not go skiing?

Iceburg skiing, it's like swivel for men. Textbook overhead press.

April 1st 2011. Snow was falling and we've always wanted pictures skiing in the snow so we dunked the MFG into the lake and went "snow skiing". I'll admit, this day was COLD.

Look at that glass, not a tuber in sight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2015 at 8:41am
Update:

Since my initial testing a few things have come up. I refreshed the carb which ran rich after rebuild and discovered milky oil which turned out to be a cracked block.

As mentioned in the cracked block thread I toyed with the idea of picking up a block and rebuilding it, however I went with a remanufactured long block.

I stripped the cracked 351 block, cleaned all the parts and reassembled the motor in a few days.

After installing the motor it was time for the ultra-important break in. For this I opted to take it over to my friend's brother. He checked it over, primed the oil system (again), set the timing and had the boat up and running in no time.   We made it through the break in with no major problems. The only hiccup was we couldn't get it to idle down below 1800 rpm with out it falling on it's face. After some investigative work (starting fluid trick) we discovered a pretty large vacuum leak coming from the carb / spacer area.

Before pulling the carb I had an idea what it was so I grabbed the shrink wrap the gasket came in and a spare spacer plate. As you can see in the picture the gasket was one of those "semi-universal types" so it had 2 bolt patterns. Since the bottom side of the spacer is not solid air was leaking though one of these other bolt holes. I swapped it with the carb to spacer gasket which covered the entire spacer.

After swapping the gaskets & retesting the motor I was able to get the idle down to 1000 rpm, but I couldn't get the idle to return on a regular basis. Even at 2 to 2-1/2 turns out on the idle screws it's still running very lean.

I'm going to do a little searching to see what I can dig up, but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2015 at 2:04pm
I fixed the gaskets, got it timed right and determined there's still something amiss with the carb. Instead of wasting more perfectly good ski days pulling the carb off over and over I opted to pick up an engine tested re-man carb and some new gaskets. I'll work on the other carb when it's raining.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 10:19am
Finally a day on the lake where the boat left in better shape then when it arrived.

Since my existing carb runs fine anywhere above 900 rpm and I'm still waiting for my re-man to arrive I decided to say the heck with it and take the boat out this past Sunday. The boat fired right up, but seemed to be having a timing issue as it was coughing from the carb with any acceleration and wouldn't get over 1500 rpm. Prepared for this I had my timing light and tools close at hand. I adjusted the distributor, but couldn't get a good timing reading as it was so bright on the water. I set it where it ran the best and we went on with the day.

Once up and running she ran 41 on the GPS in choppy crowded water. I think once I get the timing dialed in and the water's in better shape I can improve on that.

I'm hoping to head out tomorrow for some additional tuning and trials.

Best part of Sunday was it was the first time I got to ride behind the boat. Not going to lie, I had a pretty big smile on my face the entire time.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 11:25am
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by LeftFieldEngineering LeftFieldEngineering wrote:

It’s a long one, but pretty good if you ask me : )

. . . a VERY good one, if you ask me. Thanks for the good thinking, clear reporting and great photos.
-=Grant=-
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/72skier
xarmypilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 12:00am
WTG Andy!   I can remember quite a few very, very fast "79-'80 model CC's on Lake Gage when I was a kid. My uncle had a '80 SN that'd run 49 mph all day long. You get the re-manned carb tuned just right, there's no reason you shouldn't see 48-52 mph in normal conditions. Get a good coat of beeswax on the hull and a tuned prop- BLAM! Lightnin'!    

I know some of the CC purists out there may not be into "Resto-Mods", but your '79 has to be one of the most thought out, tasteful updates to the design I've ever seen.

My self, I've been thinking about removing the teak interior trim and replacing with epoxied carbon fiber. It's light, strong, it's durable and stays cool to the touch   Wood in a fiberglass performance boat just never made much sense to me. I dig wood boats, but that's a whole different thread...
'87 SN 2001
'68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 8:05am
Thanks for the kind words.

While working on the motor my engine guy commented on the random 1/4-20 bolt holding down the backfire arrestor. Fixed that last night:

I'm going to try a different engraving tool to see if I can't get a little deeper character, if they turn out nice maybe there's a market for them.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 9:24am
Me like those!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 9:43am
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Me like those!

Me too!!
You need to make some more... For your CCFan buddies!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 11:21am
Yeah, I'd like one of those too. Shoot, having a Tique myself, I'd be happy with one of your trial runs, tests or prototypes.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 1:01pm
Cool. I could be in for a Tique
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 11:45pm
In for a correct craft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2015 at 8:21am
3 things:

1.) Backfire Knobs: My boat didn't have any stud or bolt on the backfire arrestor so I just put a stud in there that was about 1/4" taller and attached the knob. How do everybody else's attach?

2.) As I mentioned the other day; Sunday's trip was a success, however I was getting an occasional backfire under load and something just "didn't feel right". Seeing as it was timed by ear and running the questionable carb I figured it was as good as it was goign to get. The backfire bothered me so I pulled a few plugs and found that 2 & 3 were much darker then the rest. A quick look at the cap and I found that I had flip-flopped 2 & 3. Amazing how it runs now on all 8 CYLINDERS.

I took it to the lake for another test yesterday and boy what a difference. Idles down to 600 in gear (still dripping from boosters w/ old carb), throttle response is good, no more backfiring, and I made a GPS pass at 46 MPH. Should be an animal once the new carb comes in and I get the timing dialed in better.

3.) Few pictures from yesterday's lake test.

wataugasn84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2015 at 9:11am
Great looking boat and awesome thread.
Watuugasn84
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2015 at 9:51am
It must have felt great to find those crossed plug wires.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic