NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old MasterCrafts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old MasterCrafts
    Posted: February-26-2015 at 9:49pm
Anyone own/owned any old MasterCraft Stars'N Stripes? I love the sleek low look of them. Especially the PowerSlot trans. How fast it makes it take off compared to a 1:1 normal trans. If anyone has experience with them and/or photos, please share!
1972 Mustang
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 11:32pm
I have one, a rather mint 83. After owning it for 3 seasons the novelty has worn off, I'm ready to get rid of it and replace it with a real boat made for full-size humans. It is cool looking and very quick with the powerslot trans. Extremely well made boat too. Gel and glass work is absolutely incredible. Slalom wake is very impressive for the vintage as well.

Cons include microscopic size of the boat in general, awful tracking compared to modern boats, crazy spray, ridiculous ergonomics and driver position.

Glad I can cross it off the bucket list.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 11:58pm
HA! Stellar endorsement Joel, at least not many of the potential buyers are probably looking here, at least lets hope not. Too Funny!!!   
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 10:43am
Those are great looking boats but driving a MC 190 style boat produced before 1992 or so is a chore. The seating and steering wheel position was extremely similar to my cousins Magnum Skier. Again a cool boat, but neither as well executed as a CC of any vintage.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 11:49am
Despite that enthusiastic sales pitch, I bet I could still be talked into one. Have always liked the looks/lines of them.

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Cons include microscopic size of the boat in general,

Have gotten by with a ski tique for 11 years. I think I could make it work (and that's after having a Supra for 11 years, so I do know what a comfortable boat is)

awful tracking

I can see where that would bother you as you are an avid course skier, but since I don't, or very rarely do that (much to my huge disappointment) its not a biggie.

crazy spray

Again, not a big time shortline skier, so again, not a biggie.

ridiculous ergonomics and driver position.

Never sat in one, can it be that bad? Its not like I am planning a cross country trip in one. A few runs and we're done. I bet Hollywood's Eldorado, or coupe de ville or whatever it is, is comfier than the 65 mustang I had as a first car, but ask me which I'd rather have.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having one.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 12:07pm
Outstanding Review Joel, LMAO

POS or not, it sure is purty!!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 1:02pm
Ok, let me come back on this a bit. I'm going to make the following statement and I'm going to go ahead and put my cup on before I say it: In 1983 this boat, performancewise and build quality wise, blows the competition (CC) out of the water in that time period. There is a reason that MC went from nothing to "big three" in such a short time and this boat was it.

1. Very good, nearly modern slalom wake. Tourney skiers, and I've talked to many, from that time period were terrified when they saw a 2001 at the dock in a tournament. They were overjoyed by the MC wake and the CCs of the era were considered a nightmare at the end of the rope.

2. Drives flat and accelerates flat out of the hole. CC2001 and similar boats from that vintage seem to handle much more sluggishly with more bow rise. Same with low speed manuvering, the MC is way ahead of the game here.

3. Incredible build quality. The gel work is incredible, we're talking all pinstriping is done in the Gel in 83, curves and straights. Two color deck with gel striping on the deck for chrissake. Looking at the woven roving in the bow storage area is a pleasure. My interior and gel are both original and perfect. Super beefy powerslot trans. Not a SINGLE stress crack anywhere. Trailer quality is also pretty awesome with fiberglass fenders and C channel, though it is a terrible design as far as loading. There is no question that this is a higher quality boat, with more work put into it, than any CC from that era IMO.

As far as tracking and spray, I'm talking about free skiing. I pull the boat all over the place and get pelted even at -28 in a headwind. It hurts. A lot. I generally free ski at -32@34 and spray is not a problem there, even at -35 as long as the winds are calm. But, slight wind and forget it.

Ergonomics, though seriously bad certainly tolerable for ski runs, no doubt. It's not like you're going to turn into Quasimoto after driving it.

There is no better performing vintage ski boat at the end of the rope, again that is how MC rose to the top so early. It's a skier's boat, designed for the end of the rope experience only.

I'd just rather have a NWZ hull because it's about 10X the boat in all ways for just a couple grand more.

Seriously if anyone wants this one, starting price is 8500, I'll go ahead and assume it's the nicest one in the country.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 2:28pm
I love them. I was looking hard at an Blue 85 when the SN2001 I bought came up on ski-it-agian. I think some day I will need to own one, with the metal flake.

As a kid the first time I saw the ski show at Marine World Africa USA I fell in love with them. Up until that time I had only skied behind blown jet and v-drive racing boats.

When I later skied my first tournament slalom run at age 14 it was behind one a MC. My second and third tournaments were behind a SN2001. That was the era I got into skiing, and Waterski magazine was dominated by them. I never got to ski behind a supreme, the other boat that seemed widespread back then.

When my family finally came around to dumping the IO it seemed used Stars and Stripes were what seemed most viable. We test drove a couple and were close to buying a grey and black one. Then along came the Malibu guy and offered us a deal we could not refuse, and an 84 or 85 (I cannot figure it out) Malibu Skier came first.

Long story short, if I did not find the deal I did on the SN2001, I would be in a blue and white Stars and Stripes.

If the wife ran away with someone else tomorrow, I would bid on your black and grey one!

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2015 at 3:26pm
Another shot at the gel work:

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2015 at 6:37pm

Bumming through youtube today, Joel, is this your MC?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Bumming through youtube today, Joel, is this your MC?

No. Darn near identical, but no.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 8:22am
I see that side spray is horrendous if you're short on the rope, looks worse than my SN. Won't bother me at my level. Looks like there might be a bit of a rooster too. Anyways, if I stumbled across an early to mid eighties MC that's clean, I don't think I could turn it down but my eyes would get confused with such wide spacing on the speedo's.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic