Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swedish Ski Nautique 1969

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
axelg89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axelg89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swedish Ski Nautique 1969
    Posted: February-22-2015 at 4:02pm
Hello,

I have been reading a lot on this forum the last couple of months and I think it's now time to introduce myself and my boat properly. My name is Axel and i'm 25 years old, I live in Stockholm, Sweden and have since I could walk been into cars and bikes. I currently drive a -69 corvette with a fuel injected LS1 engine + t56 trans that i converted myself. I'm studying engineering here in Stockholm.

Last fall I found this beautiful boat for sale and me and my father jumped on it for what we fought was a good price. I have since discovered that I should maybe have read a little about classic issues with these boats before doing so but however, what is done is done and now I'm looking forward to skiing behind it.

The good part:
*The boat is so nice looking!
*The engine is changed for a newer and fresh water cooled 351
*The boat lies on a good trailer so I can pull it behind my vette in the summer

The bad part:
*I have no clue on the stingers' condition
*The manifolds were likely rusted through and the newly rebuilt 351 was full of water when I got it
*The boat has close to no interior at all.

As soon as I realized that the engine had water inside of it I took it out of the boat, disassembled it and oiled everything up carefully and I think the parts look fairly good. I can still see the honing marks on the cylinder walls and the engine is very clean inside with next to no carbon bild-up. I also removed one bearing cap to see how the bearings are doing (see attached picture). The question is now, what would you do with the engine, I'm thinking about only getting new gaskets for it and new manifolds and then putting it back together? Or do you think the bearings need changing too?

Now on to some pictures:
On the way home:

Parked among good friends:

The heart:

Not so nice on the inside :/

What do you think, does these need changing?

I'm planning to keep this thread up to date with pictures and info and I'm truly grateful for all the info, tips and pointers that you guys might have!
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 4:22pm
first I would figure out why you have milkshake instead of oil.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 6:19pm
Axel,
Welcome to CC ownership and posting on CCfan. There are a couple good threads in the FAQ thread in the Maintenance section regarding rot in stringers. The best involves tapping the glass and listening.

Are you sure your boat is a Ski Nautique? From the ribbed fore deck, it looks more like a Barracuda. Measure the length and get back to us.

The engine you pictured doesn't look like it is fresh water cooled. The term can be confusing. It means that there is a heat exchanger that uses sea water to cool a closed loop system running through the engine.

To answer your question regarding the bearing you pictured, I would take the chance and put a new set of mains and rod bearings in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
axelg89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axelg89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 10:24am
As I said I believe that the water in the oil might come from a bad exhaust manifold, they are pretty rotten inside and disassembling the engine I found no other signs of leakage..

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Axel,
Welcome to CC ownership and posting on CCfan. There are a couple good threads in the FAQ thread in the Maintenance section regarding rot in stringers. The best involves tapping the glass and listening.

Are you sure your boat is a Ski Nautique? From the ribbed fore deck, it looks more like a Barracuda. Measure the length and get back to us.

The engine you pictured doesn't look like it is fresh water cooled. The term can be confusing. It means that there is a heat exchanger that uses sea water to cool a closed loop system running through the engine.

To answer your question regarding the bearing you pictured, I would take the chance and put a new set of mains and rod bearings in.

The engine is actually fresh water cooled, only the heat exchanger was placed at a very odd place on the right side of then engine under the exhaust manifold.

Interesting about the barracuda/nautique question, it sais ski nautique on the engine cover so I automatically assumed it was the actual model but I'll measure the length next time in the garage :)

I think you're right regarding the bearings, it's probably better to change them while I'm at it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 12:08pm
No need to measure, that's definitely a Cuda and not a SN.

Welcome!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

that's definitely a Cuda.

With a SN windshield.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

that's definitely a Cuda.

With a SN windshield.

No, too short and too much rake... Never seen a CC with that particular windshield from the factory.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 2:49pm
Looks like something off of a sporty Century.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 3:00pm
Or a early Mastercraft? Hard to tell without a better side profile.
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 4:15pm
Windshield sure looks like my 67 SN to me!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 6:14pm
Nope, your eyes are fooling you!

3rd picture shows the angle. Sn windshield is nearly vertical- your 67 is the same as my 67.

Century and MC are both good guesses.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 8:22pm
Cool looking boat whatever it is! Welcome aboard. Pulling it with a 69 Vette is interesting too!! I had a 69 Vette red roadster, 427 4 spd. I would never put a hitch on that!! You are in the right place to get guidance! Good luck with it and keep the pictures coming!
Js
axelg89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axelg89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 5:37am
Thank you, I'll!

I havn't got any pictures directly from the side but maybe from this one the angle of the windshield can be determined.

I'm now looking at rebuild kits, I want to replace all the gaskets, hone the cylinders out quickly to get rid of any pitting and put new rings in the engine. What do you think about this kit? I need one for a one piece rms engine...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-5-8L-351W-Marine-Re-Ring-Kit-gaskets-bearings-rings-1-pc-Se-Habla-Espanol-/151344893837?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233cdbcf8d&vxp=mtr

Best Regards Axel

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 8:10am
Axel,
Have you determined the rotation of the engine in the boat? The kit is for a standard rotation (left hand) engine. Check the engines nameplate and get back to us with whats on it if you don't know how to interpret it but there should be a "L" or a "R" in it. The prop that's on the boat would be a good indicator too. A LH engine will spin the prop counterclockwise looking from the aft end when in forward. How's the crank bearing surfaces look?
Here's a direct link to the rebuild kit

Thank's for the picture of the windshield. I was wrong that it's not off a SN due to the aft leaning angle.

EDIT: The trans will have a influence on rotation as well. It's hard to tell from your picture what you have. A down angle and reduction trans will reverse the engine rotation to the prop shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 10:52am
Like Pete said, you need to know rotation, critical for a one piece rear main seal.

Tim D
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 11:24am
You could have an early Mastercraft. here's a photo of my 71, hull #13.
Notice the Bow vent, barely visible under the cover is very similar and the windshield, although the bow light is different though.

Can't tell from your picture but does yours have the raised part on the rear deck where the red stripe is on mine? My photo is pre-restoration by the way. The early Mastercrafts didn't have the Stars and Stripes theme in 71.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 12:03pm
Magic, it even has the same rub rail as your MC.. Good eye !!
Look at pic #1. Did the old MC's have the contoured motor boxes like the early Correct Crafts.?? The ddash pod in an MC was raised though correct? .Looks like the 69' here is flat..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Magic, it even has the same rub rail as your MC.. Good eye !!
Look at pic #1. Did the old MC's have the contoured motor boxes like the early Correct Crafts.?? The ddash pod in an MC was raised though correct? .Looks like the 69' here is flat..

Yeah the dashboard on the MC was raised and that boat's is not. I can't find any more old pictures of my MC but it did have a glass motor box but I don't think it was that raised. The Swedish boat sure could be a Cuda though we just need more pictures, those ribs on the fore deck are pretty telling, The MC did not have them.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 12:43pm
It's definitely a Cuda but that windshield looks about right!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 1:11pm
I'd say Cuda. Interesting lifting ring and exhaust manifolds.
axelg89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axelg89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 2:38pm
wow, I didn't expect this kind of response :)

There is a small raise on the back of the boat where your red stripe is 81nautique:

My garage is located 180 miles from where I am ATM so I have a hard time measuring and taking pictures right away but I believe that:
* The engine cover came of a later SN as it sais so on top of it (why I fought it was a SN)
* The engine is a STD rotation as timing order is 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8 (counting counterclockwise on top of distributor) and the prop look like this:

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 2:51pm
Axel,
You have a LH prop confirming the engine rotation.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 3:25pm
Yep Cuda for sure...

Boy, I'm glad there is a swim platform on this beauty...
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

axelg89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axelg89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 3:55pm
Great, looks like we have reached a common answer:barracuda :)

Mojo, I like the platform too.

Anyone have experiace with Sierra manifolds/risers?
axelg89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axelg89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 2:58pm
I have been looking at exhaust manifolds which is a big pain in the a-- as the Swedish market for 351 manifolds is next to none driving prices up. Shipping a pair from the US is also pricey. However I found an acceptable deal on a pair of new HGE-1-81 with HGE0082 risers, anyone hear used them? Is the shorter riser model ok to use on a skiboat?
axelg89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axelg89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2015 at 7:13pm
So I worked a bit on the boat today taking the rest of the engine appart and removing the floor of the boat to check the condition of the stringers/foam (I was so nervous about the stringer condition...)

The engine looked good and to my surprize all the bearings were in good shape and ford original and the pistons were std size too. I don't think this engine has seen many hours, at least not since rebuild.

The stringers.... Well someone has absolutely been there before me and removed the old stringers and foam replacing it with much thicker fiber glass beams (1.5cm thick material as seen in the first picture). The job lookes very well done and there is no delamination, cracks or other things. When I stuck the phone into one of the stringers from behind I got a big surprise, in top of each stringer a 1 cm thick steel plate has been put in all the way from the front to the back of the boat. The engine mounts and so on are then tappered to the steel plate.... i hope my pictures below make my description a bit more clear...

Thickness of the "stringers"

Indide the "stringers"

What do you think about this? Any good? Anyone seen anything like it before? The job looks nice and like it was done by someone that had been working on boats before...

We then took the boat out and high pressure steam washed it before taking it back into the garage nice and clean

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2015 at 3:36pm
Just go with it.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2015 at 5:31pm
Looking good.
Js
axelg89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axelg89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 9:24pm
I'll do so

Have now ordered a rebuild kit that I'll be waiting for. Have been trying to read up on the bolts in the engine. I've understood that no bolts in the old 351 are TTY bolts, do you reuse the bolts or buy new (heads, mains, rods)?
axelg89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axelg89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2015 at 2:59pm
This weekend was to be the big engine rebuild weekend as all the bearings and gaskets finally arrived.

Everything began wel untill it all of a sudden went to ***************. No I'm desperate for good advice.

I started by honing out and hot pressure wash the block to perfection and everything looked nice. I then clearancesd all the bearings using plastigauge and got results that I was very happy with. Kept on changing the rod bolts into ARP and filefitting all the rings which also went nicely. Then when putting the first piston into the block I somehow managed to do this:

What do I do now? Running this crank I guess is impossible so:
1. Get the crank machined to undersize and get new bearings
2. Get a used stock crank (if so do I need to rebalance it?)
3. Get a new aftermarket crank (I'm guessing that one would need to be balanced?)

Please let me know which way you think would be cheapest/best. This really wasn't what my student economy or skiing summer needed and I'm so mad at myself right now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
Axel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic