NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 Open Bow

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1993 Open Bow
    Posted: February-20-2015 at 5:45pm
First time poster. Looking for a Nautique for the family primarily for skiing but also tubing and some footing. Weighing in at 6 ft 210lbs I like it between 39-42 mph on the water.

I have a line on a 1993 open bow Nautique with a tower. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/4888439448.html

It has a 351 PCM with 757 original hours on it. Looks clean and well cared for from what I can tell thus far. However what I don't know and what I call upon the experts here is the following:

- Whats the top speed of this boat? Can I get 40-45mph comfortably out of this with a couple kids and maybe an adult in the boat?
- Can I attach a barefoot boom to this boat? The current owner is not a footer and never attached a boom. I see that the tower mount looks to be directly behind the driver seat which makes me wonder if that would be in the line of the boom out the side.
- Hows the ski wake behind this open bow boat? Is it better suited to boarding or is it good for slalom as well?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Tom
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 6:31pm
That appear to only the 240hp engine. I don't think it will pull you barefoot with an average load to 39mph. Acme prop, that'll help. Hopefully it is the correct size for the application.

The open bow configuration cramps the cockpit, a boom out the driver side, in an optimized position, will be tough but still doable. A straight boom out the passenger side is much simpler.

It is a Ski Nautique, slalom wake is excellent, and time to throw away the tubes.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 6:32pm
Oh man, no tubes!

That's a ski nautique open bow. It will have a great ski wake and with enough weight, a decent wakeboarding wake. Plenty of power for barefooting- though the exact speed it will hold depends on whether it has the proboss (ho 351) at 285hp vs the standard 240hp 351w. The latter will still hold a guy your size at 40 and is only a head upgrade away from holding 43-44. Unloaded, expect 41-43 (240hp) or 45-47 (285hp).

A boom will fit, though it will likely be tight on the stbd side on a snob. Side spray is not bad on this hull.

It's worth noting that the SNOB had the same hull as the closed bow Ski Nautique, but a different deck with the dash moved back a bit to accommodate the open bow. This makes the cockpit a bit more cramped, and you lose the under bow storage. The open bow is a shallow playpen and has a walk over (not walk through). They didn't sell in great numbers and usually command a premium price- and this one is priced very high considering it's not in mint shape. Personally, I think a closed bow of the same vintage offers more useable space and storage, and would save you a bit of money (and would be easier to find a nice one). To really gain significant space, it might be worth considering a Sport Nautique, the 93-01 years were based on a lengthened version of this same hull and are very versatile boats- only forgoing a small concession in skiing and performance compares to the smaller Ski Nautique.

Welcome (and ditch the tubes).
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 6:35pm
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 6:35pm
HW is wrong on the speed, btw... My 90 SN (same hull) would pull my 195lbs 41mph when it had 240hp and an upgraded Acme prop like the one this '93 has. I don't see proboss decals on the shroud, but it may very well be so equipped... A closer inspection of the heads or engine model number (listed on the tag on the intake) would provide the necessary clues to be sure.
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 6:42pm
Thanks for the responses.

I will refrain from sharing the "ditch the tubes" comments with my 5 year old daughter. Although I think she'll be ready to hit the skis this year. My 8 year old son however is ready to start footin'.

The only real reason I want the open bow is some extra seating, however I'm not so sure I need it since we own lakeshore and could just as easily leave extras on the dock for the next run.

I'm a bit torn between a more pure ski/footin boat and a larger family style with open bow and more room. I'm feeling selfish and would prefer a pure ski boat.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 6:44pm
Owning lakefront and buying an open bow seems foolish. Which would you rather be?
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 6:46pm
I like where your heads at.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by TommySki TommySki wrote:

First time poster. Looking for a Nautique for tubing   Tom

Tom,
Are you sure you want a Nautique?

Welcome to CCfan. If you do go through with a purchase, make sure you post some pictures.

Here's you link to the boat

I'm with Tim and HW on the open bow. Since you have lakefront property, leave the unneeded people on the dock.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 7:06pm
Tom,
I suggest you get your daughter to take a look at this tread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

and this one is priced very high considering it's not in mint shape.

Very high? Sheesh, Mr. "mystery-nonexistent-NWZ-deal-goggles" Benjamin! I don't think 11,5 for a decent all fiberglass boat (93) in good shape with a solid interior is too out of line.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 7:14pm
My buddy had an open bow Malibu response, where you had to climb over like that. The bow essentially was where they stored stuff and where water was scooped up and entered the boat. I don't know if the Nautique's is more functional. I think I would prefer a Sport Nautique.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 7:31pm
I don't think the SNOB is a good choice even if you want more seating... Assuming you're using the boat to ski. Who sits up front while there is a skier behind the boat? Sitting on the floor facing the skier is where extra passengers normally sit around here. A closed bow has more room for that scenario. We ski off the dock here... Closed bow all the way.

Joel, do I need to keep sending you reasonably priced NWZ's? I wish it their values were higher but sub-10k for a clean 90-93 is absolutely the norm. Snobs are incrementally higher but 11.5k would be tip top dollar, and tha boat is not clean enough to warrant it IMHO.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 7:50pm
Guys, I have to ask, what is a "A Missouri legal Monster ski mirror"?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 8:10pm

Joel, do I need to keep sending you reasonably priced NWZ's? I wish it their values were higher but sub-10k for a clean 90-93 is absolutely the norm. Snobs are incrementally higher but 11.5k would be tip top dollar, and tha boat is not clean enough to warrant it IMHO.

Although I do agree 11.5 is too high, it seems to be the norm right now. In fact, it seems to me 12k is the asking price right now for a NWZ in the southeast. Im finding the not bashful asking 15k.

$4500 '92
10.2 '92
Super clean '94 14,750
'94 11.9 If still available in March I'm gonna consider it
'94 15,900!!!
1990 gone from 12k to 10,5
'91 12k
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Although I do agree 11.5 is too high, it seems to be the norm right now. In fact, it seems to me 12k is the asking price right now for a NWZ in the southeast. Im finding the not bashful asking 15k.

Tim is in some fantasy world with his pricing mindset. The best part will be when he goes to sell his '90 and gets lowballed by the artificial market he created with all his lowball NWZ posts and comments. "The offer seems really in line considering all I've read on this CCFAN website, sir" By Tim's criteria his boat is worth about 5K max.

Also I do believe in a substantial premium for a '93+ over a 90-92 and I don't think that is unreasonable at all.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 8:39pm
No I think all the prices are high. I agree with Tim, these should be sub 10k. Did Tim and I get accustomed to a bad economy?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 8:41pm
Look at the prices of these wonderful boats and then go and tell me the Nautiques your looking at are too high then in 20 years see if any are still going so they could be sold
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 12:17pm
https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/4883124647.html

http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/boa/4874106321.html

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/4891999869.html

TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 12:54pm
http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/boa/4874106321.html

Being from eastern Iowa this one is only a days drive over and back. Seems priced right, only 157 hours? Must be a rebuild? What motor would this have in it?

I assume this one would get up to 40-45mph without a problem? Any other questions I should be asking?

Thanks

Note the tube in the back, my 5 year old is asking if thats included
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 1:01pm
Gary, you're preaching to the choir. Unfortunately most people can't relate to buying a 20-25 year old boat with a big thing in the middle and will go for the jet boat. I think under 10K is where those early 90's boats should be.

I was seriously interested in buying a jet boat for my kids about 12 years ago. My wife said, "if you're going to buy one of those things, why don't you just buy a ski boat". I listened to her.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 1:54pm
I know Bruce but sometimes I forget myself. Good thing with the boys, their skills would have been wasted on those
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 2:01pm

Does that ad really say "No Spooks"? LOL, unbelievable and hilarious.

These ski boats are not a "commodity" item. They didn't make that many even when they were new. Location, condition, features, and specific situations the buyer or seller may be (as well as their knowledge of the subject matter) in will cause a wild fluctuation in pricing from one to another. Generalizing that they should all be a certain price point, either (admittedly) high or low, seems a little bold and silly. I'll gladly "overpay" for the right boat in the right location because I like the boats more than the thrill of the deal. Each of these boats is pretty much a "one of one" for sale at that current time, which for the picky buyer makes it a seller's market. For somebody that just wants a deal and doesn't care about the boat, sure. Buyer's market for those. There were no real "steals" this fall on these unless they were beaters, and the few that meet my standards are "overpriced". I'm ready to overpay this spring for the right one and I won't regret the purchase.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 2:12pm
[QUOTE=M3Fan]
Does that ad really say "No Spooks"? LOL, unbelievable and hilarious.QUOTE]

I saw that and I can't imagine that means what you think it means, although I couldn't come up with anything else either.

I can justify paying a premium for a really nice boat, but I, like a lot of other people here are much more enthusiastic than most other buyers.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 3:54pm
We found this 95 SN last year advertised for $15 but purchased for $13.5
100 original hours garage kept.
They are out there. I did end up having repairs that cost me another $1,000 by the time it was water worthy again.
Keep looking, buy now before boats jump into Summer pricing.
A well cared for 1,000 hour boat can be worth more than a 300 hour boat that was not taken care of. Proper maintenance and good winter storage technique is everything on boats.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 3:57pm
What did you have to do to it Mark? and did you do the work yourself?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Does that ad really say "No Spooks"? LOL, unbelievable and hilarious

I'd be curious on how old the seller is? I haven't heard the term since my late father was around!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 4:14pm
I'm guessing he means no Craigslist scammers, I've sold a couple items on CL over the past couple months and as you could guess you get 10 scammers for every 1 legitimate inquiry.

I emailed this guy, he claims that it really has 157 original hours on it. Seems almost unreal for a 93. I might go take a look at it tomorrow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by TommySki TommySki wrote:

I'm guessing he means no Craigslist scammers,

Hopefully "spooks" is a southern Illinois term for scammer but, St.Louis, you never know!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 5:31pm
Surely by "No Spooks" he must be referring to electrical gremlins.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic