NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 Open Bow

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 11:34pm
Based on other '93 sports its not a steal at the current price, I'm hoping to get it for closer to 10. All I was told is that it was checked out by their techs and was worth taking in on trade. Although I am mechanically able to do about anything to it I'd prefer not to for at least this coming season.

Unfortunately I don't believe the ice is out on the lakes in northern MN yet however if it is I'll request a test drive. I'm calling again tomorrow to see if I can get any other information out of them.

Thanks for all the help.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 11:41pm
You have seen the checklists in the FAQ, right?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2015 at 12:11am
I have now and I read through all of the posts related to the checklists etc. I have a good list to bring with me.

Thank you for the reference to that, very helpful.

TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2015 at 5:18pm

Interior looks pretty good.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 5:52pm
http://lakeland.craigslist.org/bod/4950200697.html

This just popped up today. Although a lil bit of a drive for you and a few coins more, seems like a deal. You have eyes and temporary storage here. Do not expect any customer service from those yay-hood. I've emailed, called, and spent an hour there in person on a 96 ski with zero acknowledgement.
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 6:39pm
looks like a steal all right. i'm about 30 minutes away from looking at this 93 sport. if it is what they say it is and i can drive away for about 10K I'll be the owner soon. Will keep you posted.
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 4:46am
The boat's in very good shape. Interior was all in good repair. Prop turns freely, gel coat is clean with no scratches and they had the new sport decals.

The engine is clean all around, no rust or leaks, fresh oil and the pan was spotless. Trailer is solid with no rust, tires are a little cracked but still lots a tread. Obviously this was a garage stored boat that was well maintained.

just got home, the 93 sport is now in my garage.

Thanks to all for the great advise that lead me to this boat.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 6:11am
ahem, POIDH
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 9:20am
Tommy, that's great to hear, congrats! You'll love that boat. When do you plan to get it out on the water?

Adam, had to look up that acronym. Guess I'm not in tune with modern shorthand.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 10:15am
Pics Or It Didn't Happen....
Congrats
1994 Sport Nautique
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 10:43pm
this is probably an easy question but how can I read my engine serial number etc? I want to see if its the original motor, manufacture date etc.

i tried to find a site but nothing obvious, i probably overlooked it.

Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 10:47pm
Tom,
Have you looked in the engine manual that's in the reference section?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 11:19pm
Too late now isn't it is it on a sticker on the valve cover or a tag on the intake manifold? If it's on the decal on the valve cover,doesn't have the date where it says complies with some govt body? like this- looking back I guess it doesn't have the same tag. I'm not sure the older tags tell you the year

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 12:21am
I found the Model number description from the engine manual but it doesn't say anything about the manufacture date. I am curious if the engine has been replaced, it looks very clean. Does the 1Y45001 indicate the date manufactured somehow?

TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 1:52am
Here are the pictures of the boat IN MY DRIVEWAY!!! My daughter insisted on being in a couple of them and somehow transformed into posing as a model, can't wait until she's a teenager....

The boat starts right up and sounds good, I made my own homegrown flusher (Plunger, garden hose connector and tarp post for extension)

TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 1:54am
The swim platform was sanded down but has not been re-finished. I don't know what wood this is. Should I use teak oil on this? Can I use teak oil on any wood or only teak wood?

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 2:42am
Looks like an original teak platform to me. Use teak oil
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 10:32am
I made a flush unit like that about 30 years ago to flush my '63! Once you get into things a bit you'll want to put a T with hose connector and valve in the raw water hose before the pump for flushing, works perfectly and any excess water just flows out the bottom.

The kids have GOT to be excited!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 4:38pm
Looks awesome!
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 4:49pm
Is there any special way to attach the Sport Nautique decals to the boat? They appear to be regular adhesive stickers.

Also there are some very small scratches along the side right where the stickers were at previously. The shop removed the original ones as they were falling off. Should I buff those scratches out before I adhere the decals?

It's 70 degrees out, I'm headed to register the boat today and drop it in the water tomorrow or Friday.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 4:52pm
Very Nice, bet you can't wait to take a pull behind it!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 4:52pm
The one thing I know about the letters is to pay attention to the slant of the lettering. In other words, they decals are side specific.
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 4:57pm
Times like this call for a dry suit, which I don't own. Growing up in northern Minnesota we'd usually take the first drop in the lake mid May. Of course that was 25 years ago.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 4:58pm
If you have any sanding or polishing to do definitely do that before the decals go on and also make sure to remove all wax before applying the decals.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 5:03pm
Like Quinner said.

I do not believe the decals slant in opposite ways 91+, so a '93 should not be side-specific.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 5:05pm
Looks nice like Steve says bet you can't wait. As for buffing you might as well,it will always bug you if you don't. Decals are not cheap and once on you won't be taking them off for awhile. There are sprays you can buy to position decals but you can make some with a spray bottle and some mild soap
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 10:27am
^^ Correct, the main thing is that you make sure the surface is clean from any wax. You can buy the special window film release agent, or make it yourself with water and liquid dish soap.

Premark the hull where the decal is going to go. Sprayn the whole hull down with the solution. Then carefully peel about 1/4 of the premask off the adhesive side. then spray your solution on it as well.

Peeling and spraying as you go works best. Once you have the whole decal on (and you've applied enough liquid, you'll be able to position the decal where you want it.

Then taking a plastic squeegee, quickly work the water and air out from the center areas outward. Remember, you don't take the topside mask off at this point, so you can work the air and water out pretty aggresively.

Once you have the water out and toweled down, slowly peel the top side mask off and have the squeegee ready to now gently remove any further bubbles that remain. In the end you might have to take a pin and pop some of the remaining bubbles that cannot be worked out..

Patience is key here !!! And with two people, it usually works best..
Don't be in a hurry. Make sure the temps are moderate outside, and no chance for rain (if you are doing this outside). You want the adhesive to set up !!

Once you accomplish this you can move on to a more challenging job....

05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 5:29pm
Now that looks sweet!! I'm not ready for that yet, maybe next year....

I'm not familiar with gelcoat or exterior maintenance much so this is a little new to me. However based on what I have learned from the almighty YouTube and from you guys I should buff out any scratches using a rubbing compound. Then I should be sure the wax is off (using a dishsoap and water mixture) then adhere the decals as needed.

I'm a little unclear about these decals as they appear to be stickers. They are

"Scotchcal 3M
High Performance Film
Automotive Grade"

Mojo suggested I spray the decals with the solution as I am putting them on. Am I understanding this correctly?

Here are the decal/stickers.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2015 at 8:46am
The stickers/decals are self adhering.

I believe the solution gives you the temporary ability to do minor adjustments to the decals once applied. It also makes it easier to work out bubbles. You don't need the solution for the actual adhesion.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2015 at 9:02am
Tom,
The decals have a outer transfer paper that holds the lettering in place before you remove the inner covering over the adhesive. You tape the outer layer in place to position, remove the adhesive covering and apply. You should be able to find a youtube tutorial. The application solution is more for the cheap style decal without the transfer paper. I've never had to use any liquid with any of the good decals.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic