NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 Open Bow

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by TommySki TommySki wrote:

I'm guessing he means no Craigslist scammers, I've sold a couple items on CL over the past couple months and as you could guess you get 10 scammers for every 1 legitimate inquiry.

I emailed this guy, he claims that it really has 157 original hours on it. Seems almost unreal for a 93. I might go take a look at it tomorrow.

Rare but It wouldn't be unheard of... I would definitely go see it Tomorrow if you are in the market. ..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 3:45am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/4883124647.html

http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/boa/4874106321.html

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/4891999869.html

You did good Tim, now can I borrow the "NWZ good deal goggles" so I can find some realistic prices within 800 miles of me?   
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 4:07am
What did you have to do to it Mark? and did you do the work yourself?

Our 1995 came to us with 100 hours but on first dip in the water we discovered a bent Prop shaft that they had run till it wore out the cutlass bearing in the strut. I really don't think they even knew it was bent, first time boat owners that parked it in the garage for 19 years. Yes all work done myself but with great advice and help from this forum. I was so happy with the condition of the hull and interior that it did not bother me to do the repairs. Also, all the struts, the thermostat and impeller needed replacement, again from sitting.
The trailer brakes needed new cylinders and a flush, minor stuff but all good now.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2015 at 12:58pm
HW--- does putting kids up front help with reducing wake size for slalom? I'm thinking it does but never verified.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2015 at 2:13pm

Being from eastern Iowa this one is only a days drive over and back.

Tom - where are you guys from in the great state of IA? Good to see another member added to the Iowa Contingency!

If you're really interested in that Souix City boat let Bill (FanofCCFan) know as he's closer and already mentioned being able to go look at this boat for another member.

We've owned a SNOB and then upgraded to a 2001 Ski Nautique. Agree 100% with everyone here that the space in the bow isn't exactly ideal for skiing off a dock.

If you're passing thru Des Moines to see that boat and want to take a look at several others side-by-side for comparison let me know. Our old 96 SNOB and a few other 90+ Ski Nautiques (91 SN and 97 SN) are currently in storage at our boat club downtown Des Moines. I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind us lifting a few covers to take a look. If you're waiting till spring we can probably arrange a few test rides.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 12:49am
Tom - a bit after the fact, but I'll put my 2 cents in for '90's Sport Nautiques. For me a Sport with the extra size and usable open bow works better than a closed bow Ski would. I often have 2-3 adults and 3-4 kids in the boat. Yes, we could find a way to leave some people at the dock, but half the fun for the kids is all being together and watching each other, plus we tend to head to a calmer part of the lake to ski.

Slalom - I ski in closed bow Ski's with a few friends, awesome ski wake, better than my Sport. But, if I run the boat light with just 2 people in the boat while I ski, the wake is excellent, and I'm not good enough to really need the better wake.

So, in your search I'd suggest you look at a Sport for comparison. The '93-'97 Sports can be found in reasonably good condition for $12,000-$14,000 now, and '98-'00 for just a bit more.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 1:11am
Thanks for all the responses, very helpful.

I'm over in Cedar Rapids IA, havn't had a chance to go look at the one over in Sioux City yet.

I think my hesitation is in the speed of an open bow or any for that matter. Should i be looking exclusively for a pro boss motor to get 40--45 mph out of an open bow? Can I assume that any closed bow will archive 45 mph? I really think for my slalom needs any will provide a nice wake, its the footin speed that i also want to achieve.

Being in IA if II decide to buy now there will not be a test drive but the price should be right. Maybe i should just wait.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 1:41am
The open bow Sports run mid 40's with pro boss (285 HP) or GT-40 (310 HP). I'm not a barefooter so can't offer any insight there, but there's not a major speed difference between the 20 ft. Ski's and 21 ft. Sports given similar power. It sounds like you need the HP for what you want to do, so yes you should look for the higher output engines.
terminaldegree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terminaldegree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 2:31am
Just another data point...our sport runs mid 40s with 2 adults and a full tank of gas. We enjoy the open bow, but I don't really like running with more than 4 adults on board in anything other than calm conditions. The open bow isn't a typical walk-through, which is inconvenient for adults. If this boat were smaller, I'd probably prefer the closed bow setup. Having said that, riding up in the bow is a nice sensation in good weather.

Freeboard at the stern seating positions is not much, which would make me a little concerned for small children or inexperienced passengers on rougher days/more aggressive maneuvers. Granted, I'm coming from driving 40 foot express cruisers weighing close to 20,000#, so everything seems rough, loud, and a little scary by comparison.
1996 Sport Nautique GT40/Acme 422
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 3:02am
You guys have been a boat load of useful information.

I found another open bow with at GT-40 and decent hours.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/4905894648.html

The owner claims that he gets mid 40s out of this boat. Can I mount a barefoot boom on any of these Nautiques or are there some that aren't designed for a boom?

Thanks again for all the help.

Tom
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 2:01pm
He has come down in price, then, because this is the same boat for $15,999.

Only inboards add

Go to barefoot central .com That is a pretty popular tower for barefoot boats, and there is a boom that attaches to it.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 2:37pm
Pretty much any Ski Nautique with the exception of the early boats (60's & 70's) with the skinny pylon. It's still possible with the right boom clamp.

If you ask me that boat is over priced and the big tower reduces it's value. If you're looking for an open bow start looking for Sports. The Ski Nautique Open Bow was a great idea but the space isn't useful a majority of the time you're on the water.

TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 4:44pm
Help me understand what the drawback of the tower is. Do they just make the boat look ugly? Is it a personal preference to keep the boat as pure to its original form as possible or is there a functional difference in how the boat performs with the tower?

Having never had one I tend to think it would be useful to keep the extra skis up there but maybe its not as convenient as it looks and maybe it causes other problems.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 5:04pm
Carrying around extra skis is as helpful as extra people. Just go back to the dock.

One of the biggest drawbacks is parking/storage. Added weight doesn't help either.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 5:34pm
Towers are definitely a personal preference item, nobody is right or wrong, just some like them, some don't. I use a Flightpipe on my Sport, find it very easy to use and quick to put up and take down. As for storing skis/boards, I've got a lot of storage in my boat so we can make skis disappear under the passenger seat or ski locker, boards can go in the trunk though usually put them on the starboard side of the doghouse.

But, when I'm in boats with towers, I get the convenience. Nothing to put up or take down, storage outside of the boat, place for speakers if you want them.

There are certainly some towers that are just ugly, that's a different story.

I know a couple of us have said this already, but I'd really like to see you check out a Sport before you buy an open bow Ski Nautique.
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2015 at 6:10pm
I think your right, now I just need to find that perfect sport somewhere in the midwest.
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 12:06am
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/4898317997.html

This one looks interesting, planning to call on it tomorrow and see what he says. he says its been sitting for years.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 12:14am

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/4898317997.html

This one looks interesting, planning to call on it tomorrow and see what he says. he says its been sitting for years.

'96 Super Sport

Tommy, that's a v-drive Super Sport rather than a direct drive Sport Nautique. More geared toward wakeboard than slalom, others here can tell you more about the wake, I've never been in one.

I will say that there may be a number of people here that would be tempted to jump on that boat for under 10 grand. Looks like it will need an interior at some point, but otherwise looks to be in good shape.
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 12:29am
Well now I know what a V-drive is. That must explain the rear mounted engine.

I dont think thats right for me. I found this one in TN, Sport, GT-40

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/4868383015.htm
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 12:44am

Well now I know what a V-drive is. That must explain the rear mounted engine.

I dont think thats right for me. I found this one in TN, Sport, GT-40

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/4868383015.htm

Sport in TN

Hard to see much in those pictures, but looks OK. $13,300 is a good starting point if in good mechanical and cosmetic shape so you don't have to spend much on it in the 1st few years. He says OBO so you might be able to own that boat for $11,800 or something like that. I'm pretty sure that's a '96 or '97.

Sports - the '93 and newer have no wood in them, all composite stringers, so no worries about rot. '93-'97 are the style like the one in that ad, slanted back and no trunk. '98-'02 have a squared off back and a large trunk for storage. The trunk is an awesome feature, on my boat a ton of stuff disappears into the trunk. But, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the earlier version and, just personal opinion here, I think the slant backs are nicer looking boats on the water.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 2:18am
Due to the intake manifold that's a 95 or possibly an early 96
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 2:31am
Couple more

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/boa/4874336985.html

http://brainerd.craigslist.org/bod/4904271851.html

Both look to be direct drives reasonably priced. Nisswa is practically my hometown and only an 8ish hour drive
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 2:51am
that Cincinnati boat looks clean. no hours listed though
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 11:50am
Tommy,

Regarding Towers, the good: High tow point ideal for everything except slalom & trick, board/ski racks for storage and a place to hang speakers, place to mount bimini, when towing from tower people can sit in the backseat, ideal location for stern/all around light
the bad: makes covering a pita, added weight, bug catcher when towing, may need to be folded for lift/garage clearance

Regarding Sport vs SN Open Bow, have owned both and for my use the SNOB is it, both great boats however SNOB has better tracking/handling, slalom wake & may run a touch faster - Sport has more space & better storage and a touch bigger board wake.
TommySki View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommySki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 12:57pm
One vote for Sport and one for SNOB. I don't really care one way or the other about the tower.

How much difference is there in the wake between the two? I'm no professional skier but I also don't want to leave the water while cutting the wake either. Speed sounds comparable, I am looking at the ProBoss or GT-40 which it sounds like will achieve mid 40s in either.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 1:27pm
Keep in mind like Tim said in his post on the first page on a SNOB you have to climb over the dash to get to the front seating. The Sport you just walk thru to the front. Any of these choices IMOH will be a better wake than you have experenced before,they are after all Nautiques
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 2:29pm
Not my boat, however appears to be in really good condition for what TommySki is looking for.

1999 Sport Nautique

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 2:35pm
Tommy,
if you wait for enough votes from this crowd on these two different boats, you'll grow old.

Not many have owned or operated a SNOB. Its actually one of the more odd SN's made. The reports are true, the cockpit is smaller, and the bow, although open, isn't big enough but maybe for 2 small kids. The issues I had with one is that in rougher water, it was very simple to swamp the nose in the chop.

If you want to make sure that you have enough room, forget the SNOB and go to a higher HP Sport and enjoy the water with more people. By putting a few up front while skiing, you'll still have a nice enough wake and enough room in the boat.. You would quickly find fault in the snob and want to upgrade, as I did..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by a0128 a0128 wrote:

Not my boat, however appears to be in really good condition for what TommySki is looking for.

1999 Sport Nautique

Love the white hull but IMO too high priced for a '99, and sounds like a questionable trailer. If he'd take less it's certainly a good looking boat, appears to be taken care of. Need to know hours and some engine pics.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2015 at 3:22pm
From my personal experience...... the only people who will fit up front in the "tea-cup" are children ages 12 or younger. If you have a bimini top, good luck crawling through to the front. The only adults that fit were passed out drunk ! Minimal storage and rather cramped main cockpit.... but otherwise one awesome ride with plenty of power .....and loads of "cool boat" comments from the Nautique fans on the lake.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic