NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Boston Boat Show

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Boston Boat Show
    Posted: February-06-2015 at 10:31am
After seeing the Raleigh, NC boat show posting, I realized that the Boston Boat Show must be coming up (been super busy). The dates are February 14th through February 22nd. Is anyone planning on going?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2015 at 4:42pm
I might be down to go. I was even thinking of hitting it up during the week this year. I did that one year and you have a lot more room to move around.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2015 at 9:58am
I've gone after work on a Tuesday. It's kind of like walking into a huge dealership on a rainy Sunday. But you can really pick their brains about what used boats might be coming up for sale.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2015 at 10:31pm
Yup, the boats are rolling in. Too bad all the streets in Boston are half their normal width because of the snow:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2015/02/11/foot-long-boat-blocking-traffic-downtown-boston/yYEb4xYvh01ZZqSbIFXfBN/story.html

And Maggie Mae looks to be a large lady.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2015 at 10:43pm
Brian, Been thinking about you and John and how bad you've been getting clobbered lately. You are in Roslindale aren't you? Which is pretty urban? which means there is no place to put the snow. I don't know about John. Where do you live John? You guys have been making the national news a lot lately.

Heard about Maggie Mae listening to Howie Carr today. Still listen to Howie down here. Keeps me in touch with whats going on up there.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2015 at 11:24pm
Hey Larry, thanks for that thread today. It got me through a /)$@") day at work today. I'm in Dorchester. Had to go up on the porch roof yesterday to shovel it off to be able to shut the back door. Spent about 2 hrs shoveling snow around so dogs can't jump the fence. We are looking at another possible significant storm Saturday night. Oh well, it was funny to see the yatch stuck downtown. I'm looking forward to the boat show. It means that spring coming.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 3:35pm
Yup, I'm in Roslindale. I'm somewhat lucky in that there is at least some place to put the snow in my neighborhood. But, unlucky in that it's a dead-end street. Between that, and some other logistical challenges for the plow driver, A LOT of snow gets left behind. We have one assigned spot but two cars. I have a spot dug out on the street for our other one, but if we lose that, I basically would have to move hundreds (maybe thousands) of pounds of snow to make another one.

Tensions are definitely running high too. My neighborhood seems to be picking up the "space-saver" tradition pioneered by South Boston. There was a space saver squabble last night outside our place, that led to the police being called.

I'm also somewhat concerned about the flat roof in our 3 decker building. There's plenty of other similar buildings around, in a lower state of repair, so if any of those give way, I'll start to really worry. I'm tempted to try and get up there and clear it, but I doubt the hatch could even be lifted from underneath at this point, with so much snow on it.

I was unfortunately laid off last Tuesday. So, if there's one silver lining to all this snow, is it's provided me some short term employment. I do the snow blowing for my condo association, and a friend of mine has a construction business where he does snow removal in the winter. So, I've been helping him out as well.

Spring can't come soon enough though, that's for sure.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Tensions are definitely running high too. My neighborhood seems to be picking up the "space-saver" tradition pioneered by South Boston. There was a space saver squabble last night outside our place, that led to the police being called.

So I saw.

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 6:45pm
Worcester approx 15 miles north has been dubbed the snowiest city. To date we are @ 73" with the possibility for another foot Sat into Sunday. We are only a few inches behind but to small of a town to count!

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchaugagoggchaubunagungamaugg
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 11:53am
We went down to the Boston show yesterday. Not many people there. It has been quiet all week due to the weather. They canceled it last Sunday due to a storm. It was a great day to go as not many people were there and the vendors were all very friendly, (usually on last day they can be talked out).

Malibu had a nice red and white Response up high on a rack. Beautiful looking old school ski boat. It amazes me they still make it after 17 years. It must have a cult like following for them to continue to build them after all these years

Correct Craft was well represented by McCallums Boat House and had a great display with about one of everything and a 200DD prominently displayed. Pete and his family, and Shauwn Murray were very friendly and hospitable. It was good to see them. He was saying the 200s are selling very well in NH which is good to hear. The 200 is a gorgeous boat.

We checked out the MC ProStar which is over the top for my tastes, but has 2 features I'm surprised haven't been copied such as the snap out carpets and the fiberglass cover which makes a bow rider appear to be a closed bow. I was surprised to hear their 5.7 litre engine is the only one that puts out the advertised hp. Apparently Malubu's 350 Monsoon only makes about 305 hp, and Nautique's 343 only makes 277 hp.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 12:17pm
I wonder if their trying to push the 200 since just about everyone had one displayed? As to the MC snap in carpet- the one down here was all wrinkled and I thought made it look cheap.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I was surprised to hear their 5.7 litre engine is the only one that puts out the advertised hp. Apparently Malubu's 350 Monsoon only makes about 305 hp, and Nautique's 343 only makes 277 hp.

Well I guess MC is the dyno resource for all makes and models!

It does make me wonder who allows the manufacturers to make the original claims, and then who is checking up on them later to state the "real" HP rating. You'd think PCM or whomever would have to certify the HP rating, I have no idea how that works but you've got to figure 343 wasn't just made up, must have come from somewhere.

I guess it's been going on forever, from I/O's being rated at the crank rather than the propshaft, to mid '80's 454's being rated at 330 HP when they made maybe 290.

Anyone know of dyno results for the 343?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 6:49pm
Malibu's 350 monsoon is a PCM now Bruce! It is a Crusader labeled as a Challenger Ski Line wearing monsoon badges. Apparently Malibu owns the rights to the Monsoon hierarchy.

I have always wanted to see dyno sheets from PCM but they act like they don't exist.

Rumor is the direct injected 5.3 even outperforms the 450 in power numbers.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 6:56pm
Zach, I was told that Malibu now offers a choice between Indmar or PCM. I was told the reason for the move to PCM is because Indmar is now using Fords. I don't know what any of the Malibus at the show had in them as I didn't look at any of the boats as the only one I was interested in was way up in the air. Why aren't they using the PCM name? Is that reserved just for Nautique now? The dealer was calling them PCM.

The MC dealer also told me production of 200's has basically stopped because everyone wants a Pro Star now.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 7:28pm
The MC guys are such ignorant mud slingers.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The MC guys are such ignorant mud slingers.

They are funny. I got to think they are just salesmen and not skiers. There almost as bad as the Glasstron salesman trying to tell me a an IO Glasstron was as good of ski boat as any inboard ski boat a few years ago.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 7:39pm
I was born and raised a few miles from Correct Crafts factory. I thought it was normal to smell fiberglass every morning going to school. Family has owned a Correct Craft everyday since 1972. Over the years met many of the guys from Southeast and the factory. Every now and then do work for Southeast.

Today, if I were to drop big coin on a brand new boat, it'd be the MC Prostar. Torn between the Crusader and Ilmor though. May give Ilmor a lil bit if time.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 8:03pm
I wish they would put that classic hull Malibu Response down on the floor. Every year it's way up in the air like that. It's probably because the other big barges would completely squash that rack that they use. I saw in Waterski Magazine http://www.waterskimag.com/features/2015/01/16/the-new-malibu-response-lxr-wake-review-video/ that they're actually making a walk thru open version called the LXR, on that same hull. It would be really cool to see that and the TXI side by side.

The snap in carpet on the Prostar I saw seemed to fit well. I also like how the bimini attaches directly to the windshield frame, no extra holes needed.

I had both a jet boat salesman and a pontoon salesman tell me their boats would be fantastic for waterskiing. The pontoon in question WAS equipped with a Yamaha 350 HP V8, so maybe he was telling the truth
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 8:22pm
I think the boat at the show was the walk through OB. It was around $50K. They don't want that Response anywhere near the Txi because it would probably draw more attention.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 12:12pm
The Response is about 15000 times better looking than anything Malibu is putting out at the moment.

But, when you can pick up an early 2000s response between 12-16k why would you blow 50 on a new one.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 12:29pm
I know it is not the same, but my friend just picked up a 1994 Malibu Eschelon $4,700.00. The only thing wrong was it was filthy.

That response looks just like the one in the air last year. I wonder if it is only a display boat (No motor or Trans). I've never seen one on their inventory list.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 12:52pm
If I were a Malibu guy, I would much rather spend my money on that boat than the new ski rig. I guess a 50k price looks pretty good compared to a MC pro star at 100k.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 12:59pm
The boat last year was blue IIRC. The red boat this year was the new walk through rather than the step over OB. I was told you can order this boat in a closed bow without many options for $45k.

They stopped listing this boat in the catalog years ago, but had it on their web site. They must sell enough of them to continue building them and improving them as they did this year with the walk through. The hull came out in 1998.

Zach, For some reason they stick it up in the air where you can't take a close look at it. This is about the 3rd year in a row they've done that. I guess they figure if you're interested enough, you'll come to the dealership.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic