Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A New Ski Season Is Ahead - How Will You Prepare?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A New Ski Season Is Ahead - How Will You Prepare?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 9:43am
That's GREAT Steve!! Congratulations!
Js
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 11:05am
It's been really hard.... but I was a mess. Physically and mentally really worn down.

It's terrible I got that way...just trying to reclaim what I have left of life!

Adam, I can't WAIT to see just how aerodynamic I am now. I still am a weakling, at least I don't have as much weight to haul around.... Working on strength too.

I hope family and work schedules will allow me some Mini times.... As part of my new plan, I want to go visit my CCFan buddies. I am goin to start regional and work national.

Look out y'all! JMurph is first on my list. Then, a trip to the Indy/Chicago contingent is on the wish list. Wanna ski and foil with Quinner and Hollywood and watch my man Zach barefoot! I am sooooo looking forward to warmer weather!

Donald? Wayne? JMurph? You guys up for 2 days at Coble's? ........Anyone?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 11:13am
Oh, it's not all good news..... Since I have been so self-focused, the BFN is still in 1,000 pieces. she's NOT gonna make any Mini's this year, even if I can. Shame on me!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 11:36am
Dang Steve......we won't recognize you if you've dropped 42 lbs or more. Guys will be asking..."Hey, whose the new guy?" oh, wait that's Steve...Good Job Brother.

Since we're on a what's your health condition thread I'll toss in mine. As many of you noticed at Mini's this past year you didn't see me on skis too much. That is because I had been diagnosed with Rheumetoid Arthritis and basically it was hit or miss if I could ski depending on how my hands and joints were. I noticed something was wrong two years ago at River Run while at breakfast with Reid and Laurie as I could barely hold the glass. I chalked it up to fatigue.

I had gone to a Arthritis Doc who put me on meds and after 2 visits I quit seeing her as she was the worst Doc I had ever seen. She was about useless. Once the meds she had me on ran out I never went to a new doc as the good ones recommended had a 3 month waiting list to see. The RA had gotten so bad that some days I could only lift my arms parallel to the ground. I couldn't open a can of vegetables with a can opener nor simply pull open a bag of chips. The only way to get back in the boat was put my forearms on the platform and roll up on it like a beached whale. The flexability and strength in my wrists was non existent not to mention it hurt like hell to try using the method we all use to get on the platform. I was popping ibuprofen like tic-tacs and the final straw that sent me to the doc was the last Lanier gathering with the crew. It was all I had to get up on a slalom and it was a quicky as I fell cutting. I tried 5 times to get up and couldn't cause I just didn't have the grip strength to hold onto the handle.

"Ok, that's it! I'm going to a Dr cause this crap is interfering with my ski time!" Got an appointment with a nonrecommended Doc and went. I was very impressed with the guy as he went down the list of everything I was experiencing as if he were living with it himself. He kept nodding his head and typing in the laptop as to what was going on. A few X-rays and he said "We'll get you fixed up.......you'll feel better in about 3 days." Boy was he right, the meds he has me on worked and I was able to lift my arms over my head without fail or pain in 3 days. I'm taking a couple of meds and a handful of vitamins everyday. Yep, I'm one of those guys now. Feel fantastic for the most part but my feet are lagging behind a bit. They are somewhat weak and can roll easily but I'm hoping they'll be back in time for ski season.

The x-rays did show some minor joint damage to the joints in my feet as a result from having RA and not doing anything about it. Doc said it could have been prevented if I had come to see him earlier and asked me why I hadn't. Told him about Doc A and he lambasted her. He commented that she is the worst Dr. he has ever seen and doesn't know why she is in the field of RA cause she stinks.

So back to the topic of discussion. I gave up soda's for the most part and only drink water even when I hit the Fast Food which isn't too often and have a salad or yogurt for lunch as a norm. Still on the meat market for one and 2 the less Arse I gotta pull up on a ski then the better off I am. Besides..... I wanna look good for guys when we're out skiing.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 11:47am
Wow Tim! Glad you are headed in the right direction! This middle age stuff stinks but we get an opportunity to do something about it! Not everyone can... I feel blessed that my curse was self-worsened and I could affect change. So glad you are on good meds and are feeling better.

So, I guess this is an overall thread on "How will you prepare.... for LIFE ahead?"

Grab it by the buoys and make it happen for the better. We only have one chance to run life's course.... Let's HIT IT!
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 12:02pm
Steve,

I doubt that I'll have time to go to ski school with you, but through some dates out and I'm glad to try to make it work.

Tim,

I'm glad to hear you found the right doctor. They have made a lot of progress with the RA stuff in the past couple of decades. My grandfather got RA in his twenties and they didn't know much. He lived a crippling life because of it. the kick in the gut this past year for the Murphy's is that our son Reid was diagnosed with a form of Juvenile Arthritis and we've spent MANY hours with countless doctors over the past year. He was in a wheelchair from early November until last week. He's back on his feet now (with crutches) and enjoying the heck out of it. Moral of the story for us is to enjoy every day.

I'm getting ready to jump in the car for a swim meet with Grant (8 years old) where he'll probably do pretty well. He is hoping to break a club record in butterfly today. Even though he is eight years old and those successes mean very little in the big picture, I will praise the heck out of him and make him feel like a champion. Reid was fourth in the state in gymnastics two years ago and I was in a different parenting scheme where I didn't want to make too big of a deal out of there successes. I now wish I had gone nuts for him too.

Love people. Enjoy life. I hope I get to see some of you this year.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Then, a trip to the Indy/Chicago contingent is on the wish list. Wanna ski and foil with Quinner and Hollywood and watch my man Zach barefoot! I am sooooo looking forward to warmer weather!

No ski school for me, but if you get up to Chicago, and if Hollywood will let me back in one of his boats, I'd love to come along and drive, shoot video and Pics! Lets make it happen!!!
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 12:22pm
This was not the intent of this thread when I started it but I am glad that it took the turn it did. Kind of seems as though it has become to easy to pull up to that Chick-fil-A (for those in the south) or McD's, BK or .......and have let other demands provide either an excuse or justification for eating poorly or not taking the time to take care of our bodies.
We all have a tremendous amount of things to be thankful for (family, freedom, friends, our beloved toys etc.). I am sure we all know of someone who has suffered either a serious injury or set back that has effected his or her life in one way or another - for all we have that is good, there is nothing more important than your health and to be there for your family.
For those on the journey wooohoooo, for those on the fence jump to the other side as you do not want to get caught straddling that picket fence.

Steve, like Murph said, throw out some dates for Cobles and see what happens.
If there is any interest I can reach out to John Gillete and see if we can get him out on. Saturday morning on Lake Davidson (by Lake Norman). I have also asked if he can make it to the White Lake Mini this year.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 12:32pm
well this thread certainly took a turn

TimBob, glad you got it straightened out, I know what a struggle you were having, of course now you don't have an excuse to get a little morfooting in this year. haha

John, I'm glad to hear Reid's doing better, I had no idea you guys were dealing with that. is a full recovery in his diagnosis? back to gymnastics soon I hope? and tell Grant goods luck!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 12:57pm
Funny how threads start out one way and end up going on a roller coaster ride of sorts but since it is dealing with us staying healthy then I too am glad it's run off on a tangent.

Sounds like many of y'all need to put down the IPA and pic up a silver bullet light instead!

Murph, thanks for giving us the scoop on little Reid.... It's got to be hard and heart wrenching as a parent to see your child hurt and deal with such a life changing event. Great to hear he is out of a chair and on his feet again. I'll keep y'all in my prayers for hope for smoother roads ahead. Thanks for letting us know and keep us posted on Reids progress.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 1:21pm

As part of my new plan, I want to go visit my CCFan buddies. I am goin to start regional and work national.

I hope Seven Lakes is on that dance card somewhere. Turn south on 220, 3 hours later, you are here. We'd love to have you and Val stop by some weekend. If my charm and good looks isn't incentive enough, here is another teaser.

As much as I'd like to, I doubt I'd do Cobles. Wayne went last year and said it was great. But I am less than an hour away so if you do go, and they do let you out at night, let me know and I'll stop by for a Lite beer with you.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 2:28pm
Larry
I would do my very best to rip that up.....Most likely that would happen from all the falling and repeat starts
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 3:20pm

Steve,

I doubt it. April has my money for the second year in a row. Natalie is going again. She is so looking forwarded to it.

I need another year to prepare for that level of skiing. If I just knew some guys with some nice 206's to give me some pulls it would up me in the correct direction. I think a 6 liter would even help get my fat but up on my fat boy / Big Daddy Ski. I just got a used Acme 540 for my boat that should help, but I really need a better drive than the wife. I think she is trying to get the Life Insurance money a few years ahead of schedule my jerking my arms off of my body.

I realize many of you think of me as a HEALTH GOD / PEFECT MAN, but I too have been working this winter (since October) to lose weight. I have been going to the gym 5 to 6 nights each week, to stare at the ladies and work out.

I am doing this for two reasons, one to help my skiing and also, I develop a sharp pain in my knee last March. I though that I torn my knee, but I did not know how I did it. It kept me off skis all summer because as soon as it stopped hurting, it would start hurting again. This fall I finally went to the doctor and I found out that it was arthritis. I got medication, but I have not had to take any of it yet. The exercise has stopped the pain in my knees.

The Tilley's will put Reid Murphy in our thought and prayers, that is just not fair to be so fit and have to deal with that illness.

Donald
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Sounds like many of y'all need to put down the IPA and pic up a silver bullet light instead!

Originally posted by 75 75 wrote:

they do let you out at night, let me know and I'll stop by for a Lite beer with you.

And you guys probably thought I was kidding with my first post... I smell bacon, time to get up for breakfast.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 4:31pm
So glad to have y'all in my heart, prayers and family pics - even Donald (well, you know what I mean)!

I will make the rounds - Seven lakes with Greg and Larry, ATL with Morfoot and the Charlotte area boys.... It's a date!

Chicago will likely be fall.... before that, going to Europe while I can!!!! Where are my CCFan Europe buddies?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I smell bacon ......

HW - That bacon smell is me burnin' fat in Virginia - What a salted hog I was....!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 4:15am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

No ski school for me, but if you get up to Chicago, and if Hollywood will let me back in one of his boats, I'd love to come along and drive, shoot video and Pics! Lets make it happen!!!

pffffffft. skutsch is always welcome onboard one of my crafts but the 98 Sport needs as much use as my 88 Ski!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 10:23am
Haha, good thread guys! I like hearing all the positives for the start of 2015 so far! I feel like I need to get on the fitness wagon but I have other stuff taking up all my time at the moment
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 10:27am
Zach - that's what we all said while putting off our health.... I guess it's a balance thing. That's why I've had trouble all my life, no balance - all drive.

Let's go skiing! You're on my list.............
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 10:54am
Aerodynamic Steve can pull me with the brown boat on the river when you stop in haha.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 11:46am
Zach, have never been aerodynamic... always been the husky nerd. But happy to breathe behind the boat and in the driver's seat....

Fun to go for a pull in the Brown Betty on the river!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 11:54am
Breathing is a good thing!!! Yes of course the 98 Sport is always available for a tug.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 12:18pm
I mean IMHO Steve does own the best looking sport in existence.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I mean IMHO Steve does own the best looking sport in existence.

Ahhh Shucks...

Happy to give you a pull anytime, actually, I'd love to get you, HW, Jonny and my neighbor Ron (the "socks" guy) and see if we could do a 4 man run (BTW, HW, the other socks guy joined me on the permanent NO SKI list, he had a retina come completely detached about the same time as my accident...)
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 12:33pm
Yikes, be careful out there this year.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 12:36pm
The other socks guy, we call him Uncle, did his mowing the grass... Should have been skiing with us, he would have been fine!
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 3:26pm
Went to Tampa For the weekend to get my ski season off the ground! McMormicks, Great place to ski and they have a cable park also.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 3:30pm
Sounds fun - I am not familiar with them.... Are they the Irish/Mormon ski family?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 3:54pm
Good friend of mine goes to and skis McCormicks.
Skied with you some years ago Jody.

Since I can no longer ski, my only prep will be crossing my fingers in hopes of filling up the tank in mid April at current prices.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 4:51pm
Steve,

Having lost 60 or so pounds starting in 2006, and with weight loss a major focus of my practice, I know how hard it is to do. Congratulations. I would love to hear all of the gory details sometime (the medical community has yet to figure out how to replicate that kind of success outside of individual patients).

Put Lake Orange on your list, and if you are going stag somewhere and need a copilot, give me a few weeks notice...

I am going to visit April in April. I would gladly go again with you. I want continue to improve as much as I can and be a better coach for the kids.

As for prepping for the season, hand and forearm fatigue have been a problem, so I have been working on trying to improve that. I would like to be around 175 (currently 185), which will require getting more regular with the running, getting back on the bike, and shaving a few extra calories, 1 beer instead of two. I have been focusing on body moves (pullups, pushups, situps). I would try crossfit if we had a gym close by; there are too many of the lifts I am not familiar with to do on my own. I should swim, but I am just so bad at it that it is hard for me to force myself to do it.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic