NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford F150 vs F250

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford F150 vs F250
    Posted: January-26-2015 at 3:08pm
Question for all those who know about Ford trucks. I currently own a 2012 F150 with Ecoboost. I'm considering getting another truck. Started looking at the Ford F250 with 6.7 turbo diesel engine, 440 hp and 800 torque. Is that a huge service nightmare or should I stick with the Ecoboost?

Ken
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 3:26pm
Does the Ecoboost do the job?

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 3:39pm
There isn't a penis extender out there big enough for Ken.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 3:53pm
As cheap as gas is right now would a diesel make sense?
Brian
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 3:55pm
From the tests I have read the V8 offered in the F150 gets the same mileage and similar power to the ecoboost with a far less complicated design. My buddy bought the new ecoboost in a 4 door long bed 4x4 F150 and gets 13 in town and 16 on the freeway at 75 mph. My 5.3L Tahoe with 4.11 gears gets that also. I am not impressed with the Eco boost.
My company car is the Ford Fusion with a 3.0L V6, 240 HP, I get 27 MPG at 75 on the hwy. My co worker has the newer Ecoboost version with a 4 cyl and 240 HP he gets 25 MPG on the same trips. Explain where we get the Eco out of these turbo engines. My experience, if you have 300 HP your mileage will be similar to other 300 HP engines, boosted or not.
You have to burn fuel to make Horse Power.
The new Diesel's are a beast, huge power and great economy. Unless you are towing 15,000 pounds don't choose the 4.10 gear ratio, go for 3.55 or lower. You have so much power you will never run short but you will get far better MPG with the lower axle ratio's like 3.55.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 4:17pm
99' Ski with a single axle trailer, you are definitely going to want at least an F450 dually w/Diesel.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 4:58pm
The extra power is definitely needed and welcomed with the pitch ramp I'm dealing with. The turbos spool up big time trying to yank my boat out.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 4:58pm
I understand the EB has all sorts of low end power on tap but from what I have seen the fuel economy is less than most of its V8 competitors in real world numbers. It is marketed as an ECOnomic engine when in reality it isn't at all. They have always confused me with this nomenclature.

Usually towing it returns far less economy than its V8 competitors.

That said, Do you just have an urge to spend a ton of cash? Unless you are making regular trips over the continental divide in the rocky mountains I can't imagine you'd need any more truck or power than that F150 is providing currently?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:00pm
HW, when are you going to purchase a real tow vehicle? You still pimpn in your grand papa mobile?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

HW, when are you going to purchase a real tow vehicle? You still pimpn in your grand papa mobile?

Dented quarter panel and all!! He's a real pimp ask Jackie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:05pm
Thinking the turbo diesel will be more cost effective overall. I just don't want to pour a ton of cash into maintaining a twin turbo EB where I might be better off with a durable turbo diesel with less maintenance. The torque will be significantly better too.
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:09pm
I don't get why people buy diesels now, at least in Canada anyway. The fuel costs about 10 % more, and I don't think you get that return in economy. Oil changes cost more, and you don't have the top end power.
Of course they last forever, and have great low end, but I prefer gas power all day long.
As for a truck, I am a chevy guy, so I can't comment on the New fords.
My 2002 chev express van has the vortec 350 and 3.73 gears. It is awesome on the hwy, and great on hills/mountain passes. Pulls the boat fine too and its only 240 hp. I get 13 city and maybe 15/16 hwy. Crappy yes, but it weighs 5000lbs.....
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:11pm
What else do you do with the truck???

Reason I ask: I have a 1/2 ton chevy right now that I tow for work and leisure constantly. It certainly doesn't tow as well as my diesel 3/4s have in the past but It also doesn't suck near as much to drive daily as those did either. I drive about 100 miles a day on average, have to park in tight downtown spaces for work fairly often, and spend lots of time on construction sites.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

99' Ski with a single axle trailer, you are definitely going to want at least an F450 dually w/Diesel.

Chris,
I feel your recommendation is on the light side. Maybe this would be better. It's even a crew cab.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:16pm
One could argue, why get the 454 in the BFN when you could settle for the 351? Does the 454 perform better and less stressed under load? Same thought process with a truck. No load versus feeling a load. Just a thought.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:19pm
I dont believe a diesel makes sense at all in the current fuel market (who knows when it will change again).

If its maintenance you want to stay away from I would just pick up a new 5.0 half ton.

As stated above, with a diesel there is a lot more oil and more expensive filters. Fuel filters you don't need on a gas rig, sub par fuel economy numbers because of the wonderful EPA coupled with much higher fuel costs now makes it look like a sure loser on paper plus the added up front cost of the purchase.

Now, if money was no option I would be zinging along every day in a new Cummmins Ram but if were talking sense a gas rig makes all the sense in the world now with the EPA killing diesel fuel economy, and spurring the new technology and economy of gas rig trucks.

Also, diesel trucks last a huge amount of time but lets face it. The rest of the vehicle outside of the drive line is no better than a gas rig truck. I fully expect modern well cared for gas rigs to reach around a 300,000 mile number before they become mostly worn out but who cares at that point. The diesel body an electrical system will be in the same condition as the gas rig.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:19pm
I have a 7.3l f250. Prior to all the emissions regulations etc... my truck gets about 16mpg.   diesel is more expensive than gas here in WA, and may be other places as well, but I do like the towing capacity, and the longevity of diesel.   I have read on forums that the economy of the newer diesels is just not as good as the older pre-emissions stuff, so be prepared for 12-14mpg.   If I were buying new, it would be hard to justify the diesel from a cost standpoint, but I like the TD for the power/towing comfort.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:23pm
Good points, Zach. The question remains, will a 6.7 diesel outlast the 3.5 Ecoboost? If we're talking about overall maintenance bills, my guess is the diesel will be more cost effective over time. You can squeeze more miles out of a Diesel engine than gas engine.
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:25pm

Good points, Zach. The question remains, will a 6.7 diesel outlast the 3.5 Ecoboost? If we're talking about overall maintenance bills, my guess is the diesel will be more cost effective over time. You can squeeze more miles out of a Diesel engine than gas engine.

Tell that to my well maintained and nicely driven 6.0 ford that scattered itself all over texas before 60k miles.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:26pm
True, but will it cost you the 6000+ worth of price tag for the diesel option not to mention the extra cost to move up to the F250 platform? Probably not.

I do question the longevity of the EB if towing heavily frequently VS a standard gas V8 counterpart but for the way most of us us it it shouldn't be too big of an issue unless you drive it like you're 16.

I think you just want a new bigger truck ;).
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

Tell that to my well maintained and nicely driven 6.0 ford that scattered itself all over texas before 60k miles.

6.0 Ford diesels are irrelevant in any conversation about a reliable vehicle ha.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:28pm
So you get a half million mile engine for an extra 25% coin overall. Problem is at 75k the door latch breaks, 130k rear end goes out, 150k mystery sound is there. 175k new tie rods, bushings etc. 250k springs sag. 255k steering column breaks. By 300k all door panels are cracked, dash is busted, ac replaced 3x, only wipers work when lights are on. But hey, engine is still strong, producing torque and getting 10% better fuel economy so you're still stuck with a jalopy truck.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:30pm
Exactly ^^^. The way and time most of us guys will rack up 300k miles doesn't make it an extremely sensible argument IMHO.

Now, if I was working the rig daily as a profit center or towing loads that a half ton simply couldn't handle it would make plenty of sense.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:33pm
The 3.5 ecoboost will likely last 300k, the diesel 500k... you gonna keep either one that long? An f250 is a real work truck, best for real work. If you are routinely going to plow more than a single driveway, pull 8000lb plus trailers, or throw two face cord of hardwoods back there then its a great vehicle. If you are looking for a commuter car that occasionally (once or twice a week) needs to act like a truck then the f150 is more than adequate and handles better, stops better, accelerates better, drives easier and will use a lot less gas when doing anything but towing.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:34pm
You hit the nail on the head, Zach! I have the F150 crew cab but want a bigger and more significant truck. Looked at the F250 Lariat yesterday with turbo diesel. Think that's what I'm wanting. The F150 is nice but just want a touch bigger and more powerful. Is James still in this site? He's the Ford guy and the one who got me a discount on my current truck.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:39pm
Hey Joe, my thought is with the 3.5 Ecoboost with higher compression it won't last long. It seems to be more of a performance truck versus serious tow truck. Just don't want to drop thousands into maintenance. My previous 5.4 Triton V8 seemed easier to maintain. I do miss the basic V8 engine!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:46pm
So you had a gas v8 and loved it, then got a turbo v6 gas and became worried about possible maintenance, and now looking at a turbo diesel. You make no sense. If you flat out want a bigger truck for no reason at all go get it already I just don't see your argument though. Penis extender.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:48pm
Ken, better check the compression ratio on the diesel you're considering if that is your basis for comparison. Modern gas engines will outlive the truck they come in... Joe hit the nail on the head. You might be best suited with a new Colorado, can't imagine you're even giving that F150 much of a workout. Does Subaru still make the Brat?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:52pm
Diesel is different from gas, penis boy. The Diesel engine with turbo will long out last gas turbo. Get penis' off your mind and think straight!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

you're still stuck with a jalopy truck.

That's what I'm driving!! Almost 300,000 on the diesel but, the rest of the truck is going. The body has rusted to the point where salt spray gets inside the door panels. I need to spray grease/oil on the latch mechanisms to keep them working.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic