NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford F150 vs F250

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 1:27pm
Yep, you buy rotella by the gallon as opposed to quart

And as has been said... It seems as though the cream puff diesels are the ones that don't last because they aren't run like they are designed to be. A lot more blown up bro-dozers than fleet trucks.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

My concern about the turbo piece is just the unnecessary strain causing wear and tear.

Ken,
Again, I'm confused or at least feel you are. Think about it this way. What's the difference between taking the engine RPM's up at the ramp compared to running down the road at 70 going uphill and against a head wind?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

A lot more blown up bro-dozers than fleet trucks.

Hahahhah
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

My concern is wear and tear causing pre-mature mechanical issues. This was why is was thinking a bigger truck and engine.

Don't be concerned - turbos are meant to spool, put the truck in 4 low and when pulling your boat up a ramp rest assured that it is barely breaking a sweat. Certainly working at much much less capacity than your boat is when pulling a slalom set.

Joe's dead on here. The Ecoboost has twin turbos which means smaller than what a single turbo would be and at a lower boost pressure (I have to assume anyway). That allows them to spool faster and at a lower RPM to give you the low end torque that you want to get that rig moving. Bigger high pressure turbos are great for mid-upper RPM boost. Smaller low pressure turbos boost at lower-mid RPM for more grunt. Very similar to how different cam grinds will move the torque up or down the RPM range of an engine. Turbos and supercharging are a science unto themselves.

The one thing I would highly suggest is that you run synthetic oil in that thing. Turbos put off heat, and I mean lots of heat. The oil that keeps them lubricated will boil and sludge up the turbo itself in no time. Especially right after you shut it off after a hard run. Synthetic oil is the only thing that can take that kind of heat. It's been highly documented on all the Volvo forums I visit that conventional oil is probably the sole reason guys are having any turbo issues at all. Like I said, I have 399K and haven't touched the turbo, engine or tranny except for a couple of seals and it's still one of the fastest cars I've ever driven from 20MPH up to about 100 (remember that high pressure thing I mentioned).

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

The one thing I would highly suggest is that you run synthetic oil in that thing. Turbos put off heat, and I mean lots of heat. The oil that keeps them lubricated will boil and sludge up the turbo itself in no time. Especially right after you shut it off after a hard run. Synthetic oil is the only thing that can take that kind of heat. It's been highly documented on all the Volvo forums I visit that conventional oil is probably the sole reason guys are having any turbo issues at all. Like I said, I have 399K and haven't touched the turbo,

Eddie,
I'm almost at 300,000 on my 6.5 turbo. The original turbo has seen Rotella and Valvolene 15-40 all it's life. Maybe it's a Volvo issue? I'd hate to own a big rig and have to do an oil change with synthetic! $$$$

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 4:34pm
I've been using synthetic since my first oil change. Hopeful this helps with giving the engine a longer life.

I'm assuming the F250 has better low end gearing which allows the engine to work less. The 3.5 Ecoboost definitely has more power at the boat ramp than my old 2010 F150 with 5.4 V8. For some reason the transmission I had in that truck was a little rough shifting. Ultimately I do like both series trucks and they have amazing pulling power. I've just heard mixed reviews on the life span of the Ecoboost and maintenance costs. This site is definitely helpful with getting constructive feedback to make a more informed decision. I do like Ram trucks, but I've always been a Ford guy.

Ken
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 5:19pm
I assume you're using 4-Lo at the ramp right, right? I scanned all through this looking. I did see one comment on that.

That's something I always employ at the boat ramp with my Liberty.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 5:40pm
What? Put it in D, floor it, and when you get to the top take the E brake off, like C-Bass said.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 5:59pm

I'm assuming the F250 has better low end gearing which allows the engine to work less. The 3.5 Ecoboost definitely has more power at the boat ramp than my old 2010 F150 with 5.4 V8.
Ken

Yes, "power" depends on the gearing purchased but, ratios offered typically match engine choices. Don't forget with gearing, a 3 HP Briggs engine will pull the same load as a 500 HP semi tractor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 6:53pm
Love, love my 2014 F-250....6.7 Powerstroke Turbo.

That said, it's not for everybody. 14.1 in town, 19hwy.

It's a beast and that's why I bought it. I drove the F150 after spending the past 4 years in my Avalanche. I personally didn't like the feel of the F150. To me, it was too cushy of a drive. I drove the F250 and fell in love. It's a big, brutal truck and takes some getting used to but I absolutely love driving it everyday.

You definitely would not want a gasoline version of this truck. Mileage would kill you and nobody wants it from a resale standpoint.

I can't speak to torque, compression, etc..., but for towing my Ski Nautique, let's just say it would pull 20 at the same time.

In the end though, if you don't "require" this type of vehicle, it's simply a matter of personal preference. I have a friend with the V6 Eco and he loves the power.

Doug
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Eddie,
I'm almost at 300,000 on my 6.5 turbo. The original turbo has seen Rotella and Valvolene 15-40 all it's life. Maybe it's a Volvo issue? I'd hate to own a big rig and have to do an oil change with synthetic! $$$$

I think it could be a couple different things Pete but admittedly, it's purely my own best guess. Right, wrong or indifferent.

First off, as you stated, a diesel has a complex oiling system using gallons of oil instead of quarts. That has to help keep things cooler.
Next, the diesel just won't spin as many RPM as a gas turbo engine. It only stands to reason that the turbo itself can't be spinning as fast which would obviously keep it substantially cooler.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 11:26pm
OMG Ken, don't spill your Chardonnay, let your wife drive at the boat launch
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

First off, as you stated, a diesel has a complex oiling system using gallons of oil instead of quarts. That has to help keep things cooler.
Next, the diesel just won't spin as many RPM as a gas turbo engine. It only stands to reason that the turbo itself can't be spinning as fast which would obviously keep it substantially cooler.

Eddie,
The heat a turbo sees is from the exhaust gasses. Oil running through the bearings do keep them cooler and most diesels do have oil coolers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 12:57am
Ok, Im gonna chime in. I own a 2013 F-350 longbed crew cab 6.7. Yes, it is a land barge but it is a beautiful machine. I own it because my 7.3 had 236k miles on it and needed to have the engine pulled to replace a rusty oil pan which they were notorious for. The internals of that engine were fantastic, but the turbo was recently replaced, injectors were original, controllers were failing....but it had a lot of miles and age on it. That diesel engine was robust and I really enjoyed it, moreso than this quiet sissy 6.7! The engines internal components will rotate forever, but it is all the junk hanging on them that fails over time.

The 6.7 is a very good motor especially the 2015's. They pull great and get ok mileage. I have the factory 20" wheels and 3:55 gears.   Let me state that I was going to get a gas 3/4 ton and I would have strained it with my 35ft 5th wheel camper but who cares! My friend has that truck with a gas and it has all kinds of power and gets about the same mpg as my diesel. I found this truck online and got a crazy deal on it and that's why I have the diesel....I basically got a new truck (8k miles) and didn't have to pay the premium of the engine.

Remember when I said all the crap hanging on the engine fails....well there is a lot of crap on these diesels and you really can't work on them because they are so damn complex compared to my old 7.3. I quit trying. the emissions stuff is ridiculous, the fuel system is incredibly sensitive (most failures are being denied of warranty and cost upwards of 10k to replace due to fuel quality), and the turbo's have issues.

I had to laugh when you were hoping that the maintenance would be cheaper....well it sure as heck isn't!!!! I run synthetic oil in the truck and it holds 13 quarts. There are 2 cooling systems on the truck that need to be pampered/monitored, two fuel filters and they are 101 bucks from ford! I honestly have spent over $400.00 in fuel filters alone in the last 2 weeks simply due to poor fuel (biodiesel) the stations are selling. I have bought from these same stations for 10 years and they are now selling biodiesel in the winters when they shouldn't and it plugs the *************** out of the filters! left me stranded! The ford dealer did 12 new 6.7's fuel filters BEFORE NOON simply because of plugged fuel filters....traced down to the same stations that usually sell quality fuel. I am a maintenance freak and I knew I was going to spend more on maintenance costs on this new 6.7 than I did on my old truck, but this is ridiculous! I was actually looking last weekend for a gas 3/4 ton and couldn't find one on any lots. This truck was going down the road!

The cost factor is just too high for me to buy another one. Again, I got a stupid good deal on this truck and it is the only damn reason I bought another diesel. The superduty is a gorgeous truck and I would highly recommend one to you, but the diesel is going to nickel and dime you to death. Get a gas motor. You will put more gallons through it but you will pour in gas and oil....that's it!

I'd agree with Alan, that little jeep of theirs is awesome. Super power, gobs of torque, quiet, and just a ball to drive! If you must have a diesel and open to a Mopar product, take a hard look at the ram.

I want to get back to the point, if you have a load of spare cash and want to piss it into the wind (or just plain stupid like me)....buy a diesel. They are fun to drive and make towing a pleasure. For me it does make pulling the 10K lbs camper of ours easy. But if it weren't for the camper I sure as hell wouldn't have a diesel truck. To this day, my wheezy ol 1990 F-150 with 5.0 180hp motor still pulls the Nautique during the summers just fine! If someone would buy this camper off me I'd gladly step down to a F150 with a v-8. My buddy has a ecoboost and it is quick but I'm not sure I would buy one simply due to how complex they are.

It was a windy post, but I wanted to throw in my $.02 worth. Again, gorgeous truck and enjoy what ford has done with the truck, but unless you drive it and work the hell out of it, people like us have no business owning one!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 1:58am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It seems Pete that European manufactures tell you down to the brand what oil to use,at least on my last 2. 300k on a car I'd be bored out of my mind,my Jeep that our son got this summer is 14 with 77k
Todd our new car does not even have a dipstick,the hood might as well be welded shut
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 2:24am
Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

I wanted to throw in my $.02 worth.
$.02 worth? Todd, I think your decimal key is sticking, that was closer to $2.00 worth!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 2:42pm

Ok, Im gonna chime in.

This was a great read, particularly because I could perfectly hear your voice in my head while reading it, with all the classic Todd-isms and figures of speech! Loved it!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by dmiracle dmiracle wrote:

You definitely would not want a gasoline version of this truck. Mileage would kill you and nobody wants it from a resale standpoint.

My cousins airport bought a new F250 regular cab with the 6.2 last summer. Drew says it is pooch city and gets atrocious fuel economy.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 2:44pm
Yes Joel, it was OUTSTANDING.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Ok, Im gonna chime in.

This was a great read, particularly because I could perfectly hear your voice in my head while reading it, with all the classic Todd-isms and figures of speech! Loved it!

"I'm here to tell ya." LOL. Todd-isms!!! we could write a book.

Todd is the ultimate authority on oil burners. I know how much he misses playing with the 7.3 rattlecan. Old red was a beast.
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 3:23pm
The rattle can is half the fun of the truck. Something about it brings out the blue collar redneck in me. 💪
Doug
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 4:13pm
I've got a 15 F350 work truck, it's an absolute beast. Gets acceptable mileage unloaded, and pretty good mileage loaded. I tow heavy things often, I have to make sure I don't need the bigger truck for a lot of of things. If you tow things right up to the point you need a CDL then it's hard to beat, if you aren't doing that then a new gas truck every few years is a better deal. Nobody needs a daily driver truck that requires the cab be removed to work on the motor.

If you just need to be different with something bigger, get a Raptor.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:56pm
I sort of have my eye set on one of the new 6.4 2500 Mopar Rigs if my payload ever needs to be larger or I start pushing around fluffy white stuff again regularly.

The dual 380 amp alternator set up is sweet and MDS actually makes for acceptable gas rig fuel economy.

My 1500 was pretty pissy headed to Tim's this summer with 1100 or so pounds of Jack's amc power plant back there and another 1000 lbs of Adams traveling side show hahaha.. Not to mention all the beer we picked up at the liquor store on the way to Tim's ha.

I think the bump stops were making it bounce weirdly if we hit a bump too big. Strangely the pinion bearing went out on the return trip haha.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 8:45pm
I already gave my best advice to ken (re: Subaru Brat), but I do have a question of my own.

When the time comes to buy a truck in the next few years, I'm contemplating 2 options:
1. New/newer 1/2 ton to use as my primary vehicle. Capable but comfortable, reasonable fuel mileage (80 mile round trip commute), etc.
2. Used/older 3/4 ton to use as a 3rd vehicle for towing and winter use, and also buy a car that would be used for commuting.

In scenario #2, it seems like a gasser 3/4 ton might be the way to go. As much as I'd like to have the pulling power of a diesel, the additional upkeep and cost does not appeal to me. Fuel efficiency is less of a concern since it wouldn't be an every day vehicle. Longevity, simplicity and low maintenance are the keys. A used/older 1/2 ton is also a consideration, but the beefier frame/axles/suspension and larger v8's appeals to me from both a longevity and capability standpoint.

Any comments on my line of thinking?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Any comments on my line of thinking?

You know my answer. Dual primary cars is the BEST. One car for utility, snow/winter/salt, and towing duties. The other car is the affordable dream car that you can wrench on and commute in style, comfort, and speed with. I've been on the program since 2009 and love it. That car can be so many fun, affordable things- M3/M5/M Roadster/E55/SL/911/928/NSX/Z/Supra/308/Esprit/GNX and on and on. Life is way too short to be stuck with a truck as your only primary driver. Plus you have a backup car when you're fixing or upgrading the dream car.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 9:51pm
^^^ ditto.   Not really that much to insure both, and you don't have to sacrifice any one Item to make the vehicle perform marginally for both tasks.   I am on this plan too, thus the older 7.3l f250.   good for everything I need in a truck, and sits when I don't need it.
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 10:49pm
I also partially agree with Joel. My wife and I have had three vehicles since we were married 17 years ago. The one difference is that I have never gone the fun car route. I have always had a 1/2 ton 4x4 truck and a car or Wrangler. My advice would be buy a Prius while gas is cheap and let it pay for itself 40 miles at a time.

Foot note: We had a Subura Brat while growing up. My dad is about 5' tall on his tip toes, so it fit him perfectly.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 12:48am
Tim, the diesel Colorado should be out by then so you can have something that tows well and gets some mileage.

SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 1:51am
I'm a GM guy and have owned both many 1/2 and 3/4 tons. My opinion is the 1/2 tons are built so well now and as well of the last 13 years, they can handle most likely anything most of us are going to throw their way. No reason some good maintenance can get you easily 300,000 out of a engine and driveline. I keep track of all my repairs by mileage and most of the higher priced repairs all went about same mileage on both my 1/2 and 3/4 tons...I worked at a company for about 5 years where we had to haul about 1500-2000lbs a day of construction material usually 100-300 miles round trip and those were all 1/2 ton GM trucks we were running. They can handle it. I loved my 3/4 trucks I owned and will go back some day but only because that's usually the only footprint to find a 8' bed on anymore with a crew cab. That being said it would still be more than I need most days and I still haul a lot of tools and material/weight. The GM 6.0 is great motor and I was really happy but I'm equally satisfied with the 5.3 in the half tons and get a 2-5mpg better. I will never spend over $15,000 on a vehicle and expect to get at least 250k out of it regardless, I would rather spend that extra money on something else. there's too many good used cheap trucks out there!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 3:42am
I got 2 words for ya.

Fleet

Wood

or car + truck sounds good to me. I'd consider leasing a dorky economy car if you'd rather put more money into the truck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic