NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford F150 vs F250

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:58pm
Hey Tim, was thinking the 6.7 diesel is far less compression than the 3.5 twin turbo. The truck isn't an issue, as I take super good care of it. Do you think the diesel is a far more reliable engine than gas?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 5:59pm
Long out last... LOL, from a guy ready to ditch a 2 yr old truck.
Scratching my head as well, lol.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 6:00pm
Both the Ford 6.0 Diesel and the 6.4L Diesel were company failures.
The 6.7 Seems to be the real deal, so far reliable and very powerful.
Ford got a black eye with the 6.0 and 6.4 and took a big swing at an upgrade with the 6.7.
My Rancher buddy hauls 15-20000 pounds of cattle regularly with his and loves it. Towing he says it gets 12 MPG and driving a 800 mile trip he gets 19, going 15-85 mph across Nevada and Idaho. He says it has the power to tow a loaded cattle trailer up hill at 70 MPH no problem. The pass by his house is 7,700 ft elevation and that does not bother it either. Don't buy this expecting economy, you would never pay back the cost upgrade of Diesel over Gas. Buy one of these if you Need or Want the Power not because you think it will be economical to own. Fully loaded these are $60K plus now.
The economical Diesels are on the drawing boards now, most I have seen are 3.5L to 5.0L Diesels that make 250 - 300 HP with Torque around 400 to 500 ft lbs. I think these will be the great pick up engines in the next 5 years and deliver 25-30 mpg.
I saw the new Cummins 5.0L V8 at a show recently, 300 HP and 500 ft lbs, they had it in School busses. The Cummins Rep says they tried to market this engine to Dodge and they refused it so they made a deal with Nissan, should be out in their trucks this year.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 6:06pm
Ken, I love you but you're being an idiot. What do the guys in your wine club have to say about this?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 6:07pm
It's the unknowns beyond the three years of owning my truck, CQ. I'm told that the Ecoboost engines have had a history of short lives. Before I become a statistic and pour money into it, I'm looking for the next best thing. I want to run it long and hard!
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 6:11pm
All good things pointed out already Ken, but I guess you really have to ask yourself how long do you really plan on keeping it? You say that longevity is a factor for the TD but I would think that unless you really plan to drive it 300K miles, why bother? Everything I hear about any new diesel based on the feds going gonzo on the emissions side of it, they aint worth the extra cost and routine maintenance required. I've heard from more than a few sources who are seasoned diesel owners say that they've even started looking for "good used" over the new ones.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 6:27pm
Ken,
Hopefully you are not basing the need for a diesel on a midlife crisis - "macho" impulse. You aren't by chance looking at a red truck?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Hey Tim, was thinking the 6.7 diesel is far less compression than the 3.5 twin turbo. The truck isn't an issue, as I take super good care of it. Do you think the diesel is a far more reliable engine than gas?

I would argue this Ken. Diesels traditionally run upwards of 20:1 compression or higher. That's the whole theory behind a diesel. Turbocharged and supercharged engines actually require lower compression ratios than their normally aspirated counterparts because they're forcing extra fuel air mixtures into the combustion chamber. This is standard motorhead knowledge.

FYI, Ford did things the right way when they bought Volvo back in 1999. They learned turbo technology from Volvo and ultimately the end result is the ecoboost. My '98 Volvo turbo just turned 399K and it's not a question of "if" but when it hits 500k. Will you run your TD that long?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 6:35pm
Eddie, my grandpa has a 98 E70 T5. Great car and holding up exceptionally well body and drive train at about 170k miles.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 6:42pm
Ken, buy the diesel and get it well optioned. When you trade it in a few years, I might know someone that'll buy it from you.

I've kept a variety of trucks upwards of or over 200k and have not had a problem with an engine whether it's a Ford or Chevy. It's the bodies that start to rust out at 8-10 years that limits the life of the truck. Ford has aluminum bodies now, but SS brake lines would be a real plus.
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 6:53pm
Hey Ken!
My boss loves Ford so right now we have an '01, 2 '06's, and 2 '07's. They're all good trucks but the fuel economy is terrible in the around town driving. I plow one of the '07's and I get 6 mpg..... Ugh!
Buddy of mine has a '14 with the 6.7 and he averages about 14.5 mpg, lots of get up and go and great for towing but he rarely tows with and is now questioning weather the up charge for the diesel was worth it.
The diesels will stand the test of time but as mentioned the rest of the truck will crumble around it before you get your money out of the motor.
I know the ramp your talking about... My 5.3 Yukon pulls it just fine... And my new truck should make it even easier!
Maybe take a look at some of the other brands, the gas engines in the half ton market have more than enuff HP to pull your Nautique get about the same mpg and cost a 1/3 less. $$$ saved to put in the fuel tank of the boat and go to a few CC reunions!

Old school goin back to school!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 7:20pm
i would weigh towing needs , miles driven per yr , gas prices probably dont make that much difference when you factor the down swing and upswings generally seem to relate to both fuels. i would opt for the diesle for the same reasons i would opt for the 454 bfn over 351.   arent there 4 engine options for the 2015 f150? and the colorado could be a good option i was told it has an optional -4 liter diesel with 350+ foot lbs of torque.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

..... Ford has aluminum bodies now, but SS brake lines would be a real plus.

I just replaced most of the braking components on my 2005 F150. I also had to replace the power steering lines as the fittings started to corrode and leak. I don't drive my F150 as a daily driver and it only has about 105k miles on it now. When I bought it new I never thought I'd have it for 10 years. It has held up pretty well over the years, but we don't get near as much salt on the roads as some of you guys. I consider a new truck about once a year and often think about the F250's, but mainly because I think they look cooler. I usually regain my senses after a few days of internet wishing and decide to keep my perfectly fine 10 year old F150.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 12:30am

One could argue, why get the 454 in the BFN when you could settle for the 351? Does the 454 perform better and less stressed under load? Same thought process with a truck. No load versus feeling a load. Just a thought.

454 not worth it in a boat if you only keep it a couple of years too    I think unless your towing a G, a truck that big is a waste if you have no other towing use. HW's Caddy works for him,I was pulling my 95 fine with a Town Car. Run the one you have now hard while the warranty is good,if it starts having trouble then get rid of it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 12:39am
Geez Ken why didn't you spring for a Python?
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 1:07am
Get a 1/2 ton Ram with a diesel. Only a $1500 upgrade and you're not driving around in an over sprung buckboard 90% of the time. I think the Bighorn model comes with wine glass holders

Where u been dude?

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 10:19am
[QUOTE=JMurph]

I just replaced most of the braking components on my 2005 F150. I also had to replace the power steering lines as the fittings started to corrode and leak. I don't drive my F150 as a daily driver and it only has about 105k miles on it now. QUOTE]

Glad to hear you are keeping up on the maintenance Jmurph, in only 2 or 3 more years that beauty will have fallen into my price range!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 10:23am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I saw the new Cummins 5.0L V8 at a show recently, 300 HP and 500 ft lbs, they had it in School busses. The Cummins Rep says they tried to market this engine to Dodge and they refused it so they made a deal with Nissan, should be out in their trucks this year.

The new 5.0l engine is going into the Nissan Titan XD, which is supposed to fall somewhere between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.

I agree with most here, unless you actually need the towing ability of the diesel, there is not much argument (certainly not financial) to getting a diesel over a gas, let alone jumping up to a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton. If you're having trouble pulling a 3000lb boat/trailer up a ramp, try releasing the emergency brake. That should be no problem. Drop it in 4L if you need to.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 10:29am
HW, I did look for the Python. Called a guy in NH and NC at the time I was looking. Both boats were sold. The GT40 has a ton of power!

Mike, how's it going my friend? How's your Dodge Ram with the HEMI treating you? That's a super nice truck. I've been around. Just busy these days. Got married and have two wonderful kids. Life is good!!! How are you??
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 11:02am
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

Get a 1/2 ton Ram with a diesel. Only a $1500 upgrade and you're not driving around in an over sprung buckboard 90% of the time. I think the Bighorn model comes with wine glass holders

Mike

I was waiting to comment until someone mentioned the Ram 1500 diesel, thanks Mike.

Ken what kind of problem are you having at the ramp? If you have 4wd I can't imagine any ramp giving you that much trouble where you feel you need more power. 4Wheel low should get you out of anything no matter what power you have.

As for going with the 6.7 diesel in an f250 unless you plan to work that truck and get it nice and hot I can't imagine you'll have anything but trouble with the emission system eventually, the diesels need to be put to work and your Ski is not going to do it. Plus have you ever driven a 250 diesel around town, nice work truck but not a grocery getter by any means.   

With that said the Ram 1500 with the Eco Diesel is right up your alley if you really think you need to move away from the Eco Boost gasser.   I have the Eco Diesel in my Jeep and just under 30,000 miles and it just keeps getting better as it breaks in. I've mentioned before I get anywhere from 17-19.5 mpg TOWING and just this weekend I did a 300 mile highway trip (Not towing) and got 29.3 at 70+ mph.    I think you need to go drive one and see for yourself. I did have to deal with a recall on the exhaust system but I think they are starting to get the new small diesels sorted out after a couple of years on the market.

Maintenence costs on the 6.7 diesel will be quite a bit more than your gasser too but with my small diesel an oil change costs me $75 every 10,000 miles. Fuel filters every 20,000 at about $150. Def fluid is cheap and not as big a deal as the anti diesel crowd makes it out to be.

I don't let the cheap gas prices fog my decision to go diesel either because this won't last forever and up until a few months ago diesel in my area was only 30 cents more than gas so the extra mileage of the diesel made up the difference, the gas prices won't last forever and it will swing back the other way probably within 2 years, maybe sooner so be thinking about your mpg.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 11:34am
I wish I could afford the eco diesel Ram. Maybe my next truck 10 years from now haha.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 11:43am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I don't let the cheap gas prices fog my decision to go diesel either because this won't last forever and up until a few months ago diesel in my area was only 30 cents more than gas so the extra mileage of the diesel made up the difference, the gas prices won't last forever and it will swing back the other way probably within 2 years, maybe sooner so be thinking about your mpg.

100% agree here. There is only one way that prices will go once the Saudis have throttled the production of their "competition" and it isn't down.

One industry projection I read (released last week at Davos) was $200 per barrel in five years. That might be extreme, but the long term trend in prices is very clearly up even if we get a 6-12 month reprieve.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 11:51am
They have no clue where gas prices are going to go. Projecting oil prices is like predicting weather.

Our wonderful president keeps vetoing that great American pipeline project.

I am not too concerned with prices. Future plans with me when the truck is paid off are trending towards some type of nicer very fuel efficient sedan for daily usage and road trips that don't require a truck. This will make the truck last longer from a mileage standpoint as the newer car will get most of the miles on it and be traded off for a new model every 4 or so years.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 11:54am
Yaah, but over the long term, up is more likely than down.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 11:56am
Hey Alan, the pitch of the boat ramp is super steep. Both the boat and truck are at a tough angle. Only 4x4 works and those turbos are spinning hard to get my boat out. My concern is wear and tear causing pre-mature mechanical issues. This was why is was thinking a bigger truck and engine. I hear lots of good things about the torque Diesel engines produce.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 12:54pm

those turbos are spinning hard to get my boat out.

Ken,
Please explain your concern with the turbos winding up. With a demand for power, aren't they supposed to do that?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 1:07pm

My concern is wear and tear causing pre-mature mechanical issues. This was why is was thinking a bigger truck and engine.

Don't be concerned - turbos are meant to spool, put the truck in 4 low and when pulling your boat up a ramp rest assured that it is barely breaking a sweat. Certainly working at much much less capacity than your boat is when pulling a slalom set.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 1:15pm
Are you doing a burnout up the ramp? Hard to imagine the turbos spooling up that much. I use a gravel/dirt/mud ramp thats steep as all get out at my lakehouse. Even my 300k mile POS camo tahoe doesn't struggle in 4LO.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by JDD33 JDD33 wrote:

Hey Ken!
My boss loves Ford so right now we have an '01, 2 '06's, and 2 '07's. They're all good trucks but the fuel economy is terrible in the around town driving. I plow one of the '07's and I get 6 mpg..... Ugh!
Buddy of mine has a '14 with the 6.7 and he averages about 14.5 mpg, lots of get up and go and great for towing but he rarely tows with and is now questioning weather the up charge for the diesel was worth it.
The diesels will stand the test of time but as mentioned the rest of the truck will crumble around it before you get your money out of the motor.
I know the ramp your talking about... My 5.3 Yukon pulls it just fine... And my new truck should make it even easier!
Maybe take a look at some of the other brands, the gas engines in the half ton market have more than enuff HP to pull your Nautique get about the same mpg and cost a 1/3 less. $$$ saved to put in the fuel tank of the boat and go to a few CC reunions!

Hey John, how's it going? You understand the pains of the ramp at Cochituate! It's a totally different ball game at the end of the season when the water is low. Does your trailer go over the cement block? That's tough to roll over slowly without tearing your axle off. I think because I'm slow with throttling out, the feels like it's laboring. My concern about the turbo piece is just the unnecessary strain causing wear and tear.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 1:20pm
Ken,
I love my F-250, and the 7.3L powerstroke, but I think you should drive one for an hour or so to see how you feel about driving it in traffic and parking at the supermarket.   It certainly feels much better on the freeway or at the jobsite than it does parking in the parking lot at the grocery store. Sitting around for long periods of time is hard on the variable vane turbo's, as well as other components, so if you are not going to work the diesel fairly of often, that can really affect the longevity of the motor.   

I won't discourage you from buying diesel, I think it's all a matter of personal preference, but they have both their up side and their down sides.   BTW, I think mine takes 16 qts of oil at an oil change, that was a bit of a shocker when I bought my first diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic