Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need help...What is this CC and what's it worth?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help...What is this CC and what's it worth?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help...What is this CC and what's it worth?
    Posted: January-25-2015 at 3:29pm
Good Morning--my father is looking at this 1978 Correct Craft. The asking price is $4900. He knows virtually nothing about Correct Crafts and asked me to help him, but I don't know much about these older Correct Crafts so I am turning to the experts. He has a place near Lake Havasu in Arizona and is basically just looking for a boat to cruise around in and take the grandkids out for rides, skiing, etc.

Allegedly, it has the original Ford 351 in great working order, had the interior replaced last winter, and is otherwise mechanically sound and in good condition. I have not seen it in person-only the posted photos--and it is too far away for me to go see it in person anytime soon. I know the usual drill for looking at used boats: compression test, stringers, etc., but wondering if you could all chime in on the specific model and its value range. Any additional tips on what to look for on these would also be appreciated. Thanks guys!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 4:09pm
Jared,
Your dad is looking at a generation 2 Ski Nautique. It was designed as a ski boat so it would not be my first choice for cruising around in and taking the grandkids out for rides. It has limited seating and with the flat bottom will not ride well in heavy water. However, for a ski boat, it's the best. BTW, I hope he doesn't plan on pulling tubes with it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 4:46pm
Clean looking boat! Shes a beauty.
Js
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 5:14pm
Looks really nice, though I'll let someone else comment on whether the interior has been change, not sure the driver's seat is original or not.

Hopefully it runs well as advertised, based on how clean the boat looks you can hope they were good about engine maintenance as well. I don't know if 1978 boats had foam in them. If so, there's a decent chance the stringers are questionable.

For $4,900 I think you'd be paying at the higher end of pricing for one of these boats, but again if in good shape with good stringers that's quite a boat for that price. The '80's vintage Ski Nautique 2001's end up in that price range but a high % of them end up having stringer issues.

I agree with Pete, not a great choice of boat for cruising Havasu. If he likes the inboard Correct Crafts he could look at one of the v-hull models which would give him the nice inboard sound and feel with a much better ride.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 5:15pm
I'm guessing here but it looks like the side stripes and letters have been repainted. There is a couple of wows in the lines. No biggie.
The observer seat panels are larger than factory, or at least larger than mine. And the box under the driver's seat? Extra storage?
The rear seat is homemade too. Again, big deal, unless you are looking for original mint. Again, if I'm wrong let me know.
Also my 78 has two sets of the teak step grips on the sides. This one is missing the rears, unless they were an option.
Looks like a nice clean boat though. I had a blast finding out how much of a rocket ship these narrow hulls are last summer.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 5:30pm
At $4k ish and the condition isn't bad, I think it's worth it. Driver seat looks original but def was rebuilt wrong, the frame should be hidden inside the upholstery. Observer seat isn't quite original, it might've been rebuilt wrong too but all in all, I don't think these non original, incorrect items are hideous on this one particular.... We find some real doosies on here. The rear graphics and the hook em is def not original. These boats aren't the best for white water but unlike Pete Brainards opinion, I think they're just fine for cruising. But hey, I've had one of these 2nd generation Ski Nautiques in my life as a family boat since before I was born so maybe I'm partial The simplicity and reliability of these boats and drive train is FAR superior to any other you can find. They are a blast to drive, handle and track superbly. And what other boat can you buy in this kind of condition and reliability for $4k?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 5:31pm
Looks like a bargain to me.

I would guess-timate just the trailer at around 1500.00
So 3400.00 for the boat isn't bad.

The interior has been re-done with just a plain flat lower cost vinyl.
And looks like perhaps a re-paint.
Transom lettering not factory.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 5:32pm
Jared,
It may just be the angle of the photo but I did notice some irregularities with the hull starboard just forward of the windshield. It looks like bumps from an incomplete hull repair.

Yes, the boat would have been foamed so stringers are a major concern.

Upholstery as well as the carpet is not original and not of original design.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 6:02pm
Thank you gentlemen. I knew that I could count on you for quick and legitimate information.

Since posting, I have also learned that the original motor allegedly has just 1364 hours on it, and like most things, the boat can be had for less than the asking price.

Here are a few more pictures:

Any and all additional comments or pointers welcome.

Thanks again!
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 6:21pm
Is it me or is there rust on the fasteners on the exhaust rings and the transom brackets? Salt water use? Motor looks great.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by CrazyCanuck CrazyCanuck wrote:

Is it me or is there rust on the fasteners on the exhaust rings and the transom brackets? Salt water use? Motor looks great.

Funny! Come on down to Fl. and Ill show you what sea water use looks like. That trailer has never seen salt... Anyway the speedo pitots are new style and Pete maybe onto sump'n RE a paint job.
I'm guessing the fasteners are Chinese-ium alloy and showing their pedigree. Maybe a refit and paint job?
The boat look sharp, no lie.
I have about 7K into my '79 and agree that its the most fun you can have on the water... especially with your cloths off.
If its really that clean and the stringers have some life left its worth 4K all day in my book.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 6:43pm
I'm not sure the OP is primarily concerned with originality.

Look for fiberglass delamination and repairs throughout the bilge and where the underwater gear is attached to the hull bottom.

4k is a very fair buying price if the boat is as solid as it looks.

You're going to find some gremlins in a 38 year old boat. I'm not sure that's the craft I'd choose for big water with the grandkids if I wasn't well educated on these boats and half way handy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'm not sure the OP is primarily concerned with originality.

I'd say he may not be worried about originality but, I brought it up since to me, it looks like the boat has had a cosmetic job. Cosmetics can cover up some issues. Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if it has been painted. I should have been clearer in my wording with my intention of mentioning originality.

Yup, cheap stainless screws! Probably from the factory!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 8:08pm
So maybe the consensus is that 4900 is a bit high, but 4000 would be fair if it checks out ok.
Not that I have been to Havasu myself, but it has some decent lake chop from what I've read. Plus, there's so many high performance boats that I would think the rollers there would be far worse than any boarding or surfing wakes at the lakes we go to. If he wants to teach the kids to ski, great boat. To just cruise around a lake like that, go with a v-hull.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 8:23pm
I have been to Havasu, it was rollers the day we were there.

I would not get this boat for that lake. +1 on a V hull. Maybe a southwind, or (gasp) Century resorter.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

or (gasp) Century resorter.

chris,
The Resorter isn't going to ride much better. The hull has some V but not much.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 9:36pm
Commander motor so extra brownie points...love those manifolds. Motor looks very clean...

I'd be makin' an offer...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 9:50pm
i'd go formula it will make him look younger thinner and if he is blading ,less bald.. oh and better in the 4'+swells if anyone should actually be out in them
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 11:59am
My first CC was a 77' Ski Nautique, pretty much the same boat, running in heavy chop can be really bumpy, bow up and relatively slow (+/-15mph) makes it more tolerable. You will also need to be very careful about burying the bow at idle speed over wakes, like when coming around to pick up your downed skier, particularly if you have 3 adults in the front. That hull also can be somewhat wet for the passengers via spray, particularly with any kind of wind, although in AZ maybe that could be a good thing?? Also keep in mind when pulling from the pylon you should not have anybody in the back seat, any extended pylon can solve that and would be fine for all recreational skiing.

As mentioned above, great boat, once dialed in they tend to be very reliable and it will be a blast to drive, just not ideal for chop and big waves.

Good Luck
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 12:46pm
Jared!!! Going old school
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 12:52pm
Funny Zach! Although my 1999 SAN can probably be considered "old school" at this point, my pops is considering this boat.

Thank you everyone for your help! I have passed all the information along and will leave it to the old man to decide what to do.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

running in heavy chop can be really bumpy, bow up and relatively slow (+/-15mph)

This brings back memories of GL in my 77 Tique!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 1:15pm
That brings back memories of GL in Mars Tique hahah.

Tim sailing by about 50 mph in the footer while I was bow up about 15 mph.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic