Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wet sand overload!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet sand overload!
    Posted: January-22-2015 at 10:40pm
One side of my '69 Wildcat has been aggressively wet sanded on already very oxidized light blue gel coat. The wet sand paper used was more for grinding. You can feel the roughness of it to the touch. I am about to use a rotary buffer to compound the heck out of it. From experience that some of you might have, is there any hope of getting the gel coat smooth and shiny? I've got time.   
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7613&sort=&pagenum=1
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 10:44pm
If its that bad I would flatten it with a light pass of 220 dry with a DA to flatten the ridges. The board will take you the rest of the way.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 10:56pm
You'll need to sand out to 1000 grit at a minimum before the wheel will be effective even with the most aggressive compound.

It's easy to restore shine. Color is another story, sometimes the fade and oxidation extends too deep. Just hope they haven't taken too much thickness out from previous sanding!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 11:55pm
If you ever see any black while you are sanding Stop you are thru the gel and that is the glass and resin,it looks black because there is no light behind it. If it was me using a da I would start with high quality paper 400-600 and see what it does. Stay away from the edges and do them by hand,like Tim says hope they didn't remove too much,the edges are the thinnest
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 2:02am
Thanks! Looks like I'll be doing some more sanding.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7613&sort=&pagenum=1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic