Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More engine model questions (199?)-Opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More engine model questions (199?)-Opinions?
    Posted: January-20-2015 at 9:04am
Looked through reference sections and found in 1998 they offered:

260hp 351
~285hp "Pro Tec/Pro Boss" 351 with the doomed ignition system
310hp GT 40 EFI 351
320hp Apex 350 EFI PCM

Been in long delayed contact with a 98 SN in GA Im trying to check out. I asked which engine is in it they replied not the GT 40.   If it were the Apex I'd imagine the owner would be loud and proud over it. if it's the Pro Boss that's fine I'll just have to leave some wiggle room in the price for ignition failure. If it's the 260..... I think I may lose interest bc I'm sure my current boat is pushing a solid 260 in a faster hull.... feel llike I'd be making a step down on the fun scale.

What'd they do to the 260hp to bump it down, say, vs the Pro Boss? What boats were they common in?
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 9:58am
Python as well
Brian
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 10:38am
The 260hp was 351 Ford carb. motor. Don't discount it, it is a rock solid motor. The 285 was a throttle body fuel injected Chevy I thought. The 310 was the multiport GT40 351, and the 320 was the Chevy Apex multiport. I thought they had gotten rid of the Pro Tech/Pro boss setups by the mid 90's.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 10:44am
The 260 motor in the late 90's is essentially just the 240/255hp version that was the norm prior to '92. All HO 351's (aka "proboss", which includes the MPEFI GT40) have GT40 heads. A real basic head swap on a 260 motor would bring you to HO level performance, so I wouldn't rule out a clean TSC with the base motor, assuming you are ok with a carb. MPEFI may or may not be worth holding out for, that's a personal preference and it's not easily changed after purchase. Holeshot is likely to be better on a TSC due to the 1.23, but even the HO versions are unlikely to keep up at top end with a healthy 2gen, which can flirt with 50. 46-47 is about all you'll squeak out of a TSC unless you go Python. Skiability, roominess and comfort are the reasons to go from a 2gen to a TSC.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 1:58pm
So I finally received another reply on this '98 I'm interested in. They sent me not the best pics of the engine which I find ironic bc she's a photographer evidently. They still don't know which engine it is and I'm not certain either. It has appears to be 3.5" risers and the distributor is in the front so if it were a pro boss it's be converted. Would the base 260hp still have 3.5" risers?

When I get to a computer I'll post a pic as I see a couple concerns that I'm not certain what I'm looking at through a busted up iPhone.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 2:03pm
Everything was 3.5 once they switched to that.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 7:56pm

Unfortunately the engine isn't as clean as I hoped. Looks like the base 260hp? Is that soot on the valve covers or heavy pitting?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 11:17pm
I'm starting to think leaves are oem? Every boat that's for sale seems to have 'em
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 2:36am
Right?! Can't we cover up our boats folks? Wondering if it was ever covered or just uncovered for the picture?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 1:02am
xtra $ if the tube and rider are included...

can't imagine why people trying to sell a boat won't take 10 minutes with a shop vac to get out the leaves. sez so much about how they cared for their boat.

BTW..our '98 was the very best boat we've owned.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 9:12pm
First choice '93 12k firm

Second choice but each extra pic disappoints me '98 12k$ make offer

3rd choice 98/99 SN no trailer

4th choice 92 Just came down from 12k. Almost certain it was Randy Arnolds's from CC, currnet owner had it for 6months, put it on a new trailer , says it to be a 92 but I recall otherwise. 1990

What would yall choose and offer?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 9:36pm
I love NWZ's more than most people... But I wouldn't touch that last one for half the listing price. The blue one for $12k is about as nice as they come but that's above and beyond the top of the market. At 10k it might be worth considering. The tsc's for low teens deserve a good look. Especially that red gt40 boat.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 9:43pm
Team Red! I would buy the clean 98 and be ordering a RamLin. Or I'd you'd prefer less power as the looks of a NWZ snag the blue 93. You have good options.
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 9:47pm
That looks like the base 260hp motor. I wouldn't be afraid of it, they are solid motors.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 9:48pm
Does that 92 really look correct? I'm probably wrong but I swear upon memory it was 90. Something shady about that if I recall from last previous owner.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 9:51pm
Slotted platform and short windshield sides you're probably right. I think I reemerge it for sale towerless as a 90 as well.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 10:46pm
It would be hard to beat that orlando boat without going down there for a ride first. The 93 is nice... but 10,500 in the winter would be plenty.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic