Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ideas for fitting my boat in my gargage.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

The temporary shelter really isn't an option for Chris. He would have to purchase a lot, and then at that point, you might as well roll a pole building or Garage into the mortgage.

He is somewhat challenged because he lives in an urban area, but blessed with his mother having a garage. Unfortunately when he puts his boat in there, here truck has to sit out. Hence the need for a shorter trailer with less width.

He has access to an airport hanger for storage but that is almost 30 miles away and in the opposite direction of Lake Michigan and the Milwaukee River, which he can literally see from his apartment. I am not sure if even a high quality cover with side skirts might be challenging, because he still has to park it somewhere, in said Urban environment.

I keep telling to just buy a house on a lake and be done with it, get out of the city!

Thank you Steve. I couldn't have explained it better myself.
So how about beefing up a #3 trailer?

It can't be that hard. My boat only weighs 2200lbs. Maybe 2500 with gas and gear. That, combined with a removable swim platform, might work?

Putting it on a lift means no Lake Michigan (fireworks, brewerys, resturants, or festivals).

My last ditch attempt will be to find a marina that has indoor storage during the summer that will allow me to have access.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 9:15pm
If you are "willing" to find a marina with indoor summer storage that will allow you access, the simple solution is a rack storage barn marina (if any in your area). I've done it this way for years. Boat stays high and dry indoors, just call ahead and it's sitting at the dock when you get there. When done, just tie up and leave.

They typically store your empty trailer, and if you want to take it elsewhere, just call ahead and they'll get it out. I never use mine so it's buried way back in the pen, but for those who take their boats elsewhere regularly, they would typically keep it up front.

One of the Lanier CCFans does this at a big hi-tech place that even has a "launch app" where he just selects a time......

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 12:47am
Chris,
I got thinking about your trailer and am wondering if it was a Prestige trailer made for the 176, or the one for the Ski?
They made a trailer specifically for the 176, shorter but still wide (like 8'+). In the picture I couldn't really tell but the trailer for the Ski, SNOB, and Sport were all the same trailer and just had two different locations for the bowstop (ski and snob were 19'6" and the sport 21'). If you have the regular full size trailer, it still doesn't help your problem, but is a trailer that fits a lot more boats and is worth decent money, offsetting your cost for something that does work for you. From the pictures it kinda looks like it might be the full size trailer.
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 12:54am
Never mind on the last post. I looked up your resto post and it's the 176 trailer.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 1:26pm
How can you tell the difference between the 196 and 176 trailers?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 4:41pm
I thought my registration said something about 176 on it. The full size had a "swing up" tongue that you could remove the bow stop and some bolts to lift it up. The tongue also had two sets of holes 18" or so apart to accommodate the 19'6" or 21' boats. I don't recall the tongue on my 176 trailer extending as far out as yours appears?. Either way, its too wide for you. I was just thinking there seems to be someone always looking for a 19'6" or 21' nautique trailer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 4:58pm
I think you're referring to ramlin... Not sure if prestige ever offered a trailer that fit multiple hulls with a tongue adjustment like that. Covering a 4' span from 17' to 21' would be quite the flexible trailer design, ha... I don't think such a trailer was ever made. I know the 196/206 shared a trailer design but I'm not sure if the 216 was accommodated or not.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The tongue will be every bit as long as your current cc/ramlin.

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Timmy, I think Knotters Trailer is a Prestige

You could be right- the front fender step looks like it arcs to me, but it could be a deceiving picture. (Ramlin front steps arc, prestiges are a straight angle). They're otherwise very similar in design and appearance.

This is from Frankenotter's trailer restoration thread almost exactly a year ago.

Looks like a Prestige... very similar to Ramlin.

LOL. Tim, you are slipping!

But I found this picture interesting.

Sure looks to me like there are 3 bow stop location options.
17'6"/19'6"/21' ??

Back to the original width problem. Clearly not easily overcome without a terribly ugly, narrow trailer with the boat over the top of the fenders. You'd then have to worry about the height of the windshield and need a long [folding] tongue or be willing to submerge half of your truck.

So, have you shopped around for a new cover yet? In the meantime, bump up the bow stop one hole location anyway. I'm sure your truck can handle the additional tongue weight.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 5:17pm
Get specs from Adam's trailer under his Pro Air. Its a Prestige.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 5:26pm
If you don't think this front step looks curved in this pic then I don't know what to tell you... That's usually the most obvious clue ramlin vs prestige. I sure can't keep track of everyones trailer brand.

Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

I can't speak to the adjustability of the prestige but if memory serves, I think there was an intermediate tongue position between the 196 and 206 set ups on dads 03 ramlin... in other words, there may be more size options than hull options.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 5:32pm
There you go talking ramlin again. For the eleventeenth time, Frankenotter's trailer is a Prestige.

Prestige (DuQuoin, IL) sold to Heritage (Benton, IL) in '09. They made trailers for many boat brands. I didn't mean to say Frankenotter's trailer with those holes were only for the CCs I mentioned. I am not sure how many single axle DD trailers they made, but I am postulating that there was only perhaps 1 with a selectable bow stop position.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 5:49pm
Someone should post a picture of a ramlin... In case you haven't seen one, the prestige design appears quite similar! I'll try and dig one up for you.
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 5:55pm
That is definitely a Prestige trailer. They made a trailer specifically for the 176 boat, and I don't recall mine being that long. I may be mistaken on the swing tongue on the Prestige. (I had a 1996 176 brand new on a new Prestige, and also a 1996 Ski signature on a 1997 Ram-Lin so I may be confusing the swing tongue) The 1996 Prestige trailers for the full size boats would work for the 19'6" and 21' boats, just move the bow stop to other position. I'm wondering if he doesn't have one of the first 176 boats and they used a full size trailer because there appears to be three positions for a bow stop and the tongue is longer. Mine doesn't look anywhere as long and the bow stop isn't as far back in (looking at old pictures). I suggested measuring the other holes in the tongue and seeing if they line up for the 19'6" and 21' boats. Of course this only helps him to sell as it would fit more boats, ... it's still too wide to fit his garage.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:01pm
I know what Ramlins look like. I just stared at one for 1200 miles two weeks ago.

I found several SNs on Prestiges and most appear to have the transom ending right at the end of the wishbone. The middle bow stop position on Frankenotter's trailer certainly isn't 2' forward from the rearward. I suppose you could mount it fully forward, about 1', and then have 1' hang off the back safely for a [19'6"] Ski Nautique.

However, there must be at least one longer trailer to accommodate the 21's (with transom overhang), possibly shares with the 19'6"s (flush transom).

I also noticed a swing tongue under a 97'. Option? Newer trailer?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:26pm

Trying to get all these pics on the same page.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:32pm
Looks to me like maybe they lopped a foot of the back of the 196 trailer, moved the bowstop back a foot, and wa-la, 176 trailer. You can't just move the bowstop around to match the boat length and not expect tongue weight to be grossly impacted. That trick worked well on the 196/206 as the extra length was in the nose (so engine placement vs. axle location was consistent) but the 176 length was shortened in both ends.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:41pm
You must move the CG forward to maintain the same % tongue weight with a longer tongue. Adding nose only will be too light.

I'm not sure dealers were all that precise setting up bow stops...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:45pm
Seeing a tongue that long reminds me of Kiss
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:49pm
Don't want to hear that story
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:53pm
I remember on the full size trailers you had the two options for the bow stop location. We only sold 2 176's, mine being one and I don't remember two choices for the bow stop on those. I'll have to look up all the old pictures and see if I have any good views of this. We had to wait for our first 176 because the trailers were still being designed or engineered, which is why I suggested this may have been one of the firsts??? Maybe just cut off the back and moved the bow stop up as a quick solution to get boats out the door/ to shows and public events???
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 10:26am
Found some picture. Sorry for the poor quality, they were probably from a disposable camera. I would really like to know what the measurements of the other holes in the tongue are. It is definitely a modified larger trailer, but in the pictures doesn't appear to be long enough for the 21' boat.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 10:47am
Sorry for the delay, I'm traveling right now.

It's a Prestige Trailer. At least the tag that's pop riveted to the side says prestige. The reason for the mysterious bow stop hole theory is simple..........I drilled and extra hole. Since I don't have removable swim platforms I thought of moving the bow stop forward to save a couple feet length wise. I had my tool and die neighbor come make a perfect hole. When I moved the boat up, it was immediately apparent that the trailer was not happy. Every bump I hit sounded like the end of the world. It didn't ride smooth at all and I moved it back to the original spot.

There were 3 holes for the bow stop when I got it. I added the forth. I think the theory of this being an early 176 is not far off. Most that I see for sale or in diarys have the GT 40 and removable swim platform brackets. I've seen a few that seem to have my trailer (or something VERY similar).

Do we know what the full dimensions are of a #3? If I can modify a #3 instead if cutting this prestige to ribbons, it would probably be cheaper and less time consuming.

The cover idea won't work because I still won't have a place to park it outside. Like Steve said, I pretty much live in the middle of a city. The boat launch is a stones throw away from my apartment. I have plenty of places to keep it in the country (about 20-30min away) but that defeats the purpose. I can't park it on the street because of parking laws.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 11:04am
My '80 on it's original #3 is 90" wide and 22'7" from coupler to the tip of the platform brackets. I would guess that your 176 would be a similar size once loaded- so it would solve your width issue but still require the $500 tongue modification like was pictured above in order to reduce your length. For short distance towing, I would think you'd be fine... Under the 3500 lb gvwr, even if not by much. But I wouldn't sell your heavier duty original prestige for any long hauls.

I would guess you're looking at $1500 or so to get an older #3 set up the way you want it... $500 each to buy it, make it reliable, and modify the tongue. Add the removable platform brackets and you're in the $1800 range all said and done. Not chump change but I understand your motivation- there's something to be said for convenience!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 12:51pm
First off, love the Camaro tow vehicle!

What is your build date from the HIN? The 176 didn't make the 96 brochure, you'd have to find out what an "early" 176 build date would even be. Godfather was working at the factory during that time thankfully, maybe he can help, FL Inboards too.

Did you try what would be the middle position or only full forward with the bow stop?

Removable brackets seem to have been optional (though not mentioned until 99 brochure). Definitely start there, they provide value no matter which trailer you have.
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 1:36pm
Camaro was hillbilly, but I was 19 with a $3000 car and $20000 boat. Priorities! The 176 had its own brochure in 1996. I think we had one at the Chicago boat show in 1996 that MWCC brought from Florida. I would guess after Chris's last post about them adding the fourth set of holes that he does have the full size trailer. If you look at the pics of mine the tongue is shorter, bowstop mounted further forward, and the tail of the trailer looks shorter at the back (look at guide pole locations). Both boats we did had the removable swim platform.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by marlo14 marlo14 wrote:

he does have the full size trailer. If you look at the pics of mine the tongue is shorter, bowstop mounted further forward, and the tail of the trailer looks shorter at the back (look at guide pole locations).

For fear of being reprimanded by HW, I would venture a guess that your trailer is a Ramlin based on the coupler and pinstripe... So while the prestige is very similar in style/design, I wouldn't expect them to be exact.
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 1:52pm
My trailer was a Prestige. They came from the factory to the dealer without pinstripe. I did the pinstripe on that trailer. Also I think Prestige used the torsion axle and Ram-Lin use leaf springs.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 2:09pm
Ha well nevermind then... Nice job on the pinstripe I dont think I've seen another prestige like it!

Ramlin went to torsion axles as well, not sure exactly when (but definitely by '03).
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 2:16pm

My '80 on it's original #3 is 90" wide and 22'7" from coupler to the tip of the platform brackets. I would guess that your 176 would be a similar size once loaded- so it would solve your width issue but still require the $500 tongue modification like was pictured above in order to reduce your length. For short distance towing, I would think you'd be fine... Under the 3500 lb gvwr, even if not by much. But I wouldn't sell your heavier duty original prestige for any long hauls.

I would guess you're looking at $1500 or so to get an older #3 set up the way you want it... $500 each to buy it, make it reliable, and modify the tongue. Add the removable platform brackets and you're in the $1800 range all said and done. Not chump change but I understand your motivation- there's something to be said for convenience!!

At some point, might it make since to go with something like this:

Cheap Trailer

Less then $500! Now admittedly it does not have guide posts and a bow stop, or a breakaway tongue, but you should be able to find something in the used market that could be made to work that isn't necessarily an "inboard" trailer.

Tim - I couldn't agree more, Definitely do not want to get rid of the trailer it came on!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 2:18pm
Not too many pinstriped Prestiges. And they used those aluminum wheels with the round holes predominantly. RamLin in the 90s used color matched steel with beauty rings. Couplers seem to come and go.

By the 00s RamLin had the chrome steel with the triangle holes then a different aluminum style. By this time Prestige was going away from the wishbone and to a low slung bunk design.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic