Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ideas for fitting my boat in my gargage.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

I've often thought a few extra tongue feet would keep the tow vehicle muffler from gurgling....

It's obvious Jeffro that you ain't from around here.....that's nothing but a red neck hot tub!

Tim: Nope no red neck on me. You can take the boy out of CT but you can't take the CT out of the boy. Eighteen years in Georgia and I've yet to figure out how to properly insert the word "y`all` into a sentence......

Pete: Good idea, but like I said rarely trail, in fact I haven't even seen my SW trailer in a few years.

I am surprised the "tongue extension" did not elicit further comment from Orlando76..
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 4:11pm
This will be more work and time than a good cover, but less than ordering a new trailer. You can find a good donor trailer that will fit the dimensions you need for the garage on Chicago area craigslist for about $500. Buy it, torch off the bunks and relocate to fit your boat, along with the rear crossmember to a prop guard, and new bowstop. You will probably have to move the axle forward a little also for proper balance. Blast and repaint (you already have that experience), install bunks. If you have access to the equipment and help, I'd guess you could have a "new" trailer like this for less than $1000. If labor is free, guessing $500 for trailer, $50-100 lights and wiring, misc steel $0-200, paint 50-150-$$$?, bunks $50. Other options would be brake repairs or upgrades, rim and tire upgrades, etc. but the basic useable trailer that you are looking for is possible relatively "cheap".
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 6:29pm
I have a buddy with a Malibu trailer that he had converted by a trailer shop of some sort and it was only a couple hundred bucks. They cut through all 3 structural beams and terminated them all to a rectangular plate of steel with a matching bit of plate on the hitch side, nicely welding all 3 beams on each side to their own plate. The two plates were connected with a hinge on one side. There are 4 bolt bosses welded on, one to each corner of the trailer-side plate. To fold and unfold he has to zip 4 bolts out of the plate with an impact. Takes minutes and the conversion reduces the length of the trailer substantially when folded. I thought it was a very creative and cost-effective solution. He had it done in Wisconsin so I can ask him where it was specifically.

Also FWIW my 24' garage will not fit my full size SN trailer in there either, without folding the tongue up, if that makes you feel better.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 6:38pm
Won't do anything to make it narrower though. Tim's ideas seem to be the solution for now. My Phonix's width footprint is greater than my parents old 27' Airstream.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 1:28am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I have a buddy with a Malibu trailer that he had converted by a trailer shop of some sort and it was only a couple hundred bucks. They cut through all 3 structural beams and terminated them all to a rectangular plate of steel with a matching bit of plate on the hitch side, nicely welding all 3 beams on each side to their own plate. The two plates were connected with a hinge on one side. There are 4 bolt bosses welded on, one to each corner of the trailer-side plate. To fold and unfold he has to zip 4 bolts out of the plate with an impact. Takes minutes and the conversion reduces the length of the trailer substantially when folded. I thought it was a very creative and cost-effective solution. He had it done in Wisconsin so I can ask him where it was specifically.

Also FWIW my 24' garage will not fit my full size SN trailer in there either, without folding the tongue up, if that makes you feel better.

Joel, If you have the name please PM it to Chris (FrankenOtter).

Chris - this is the way to go, yes the width will still be an issue, but at least you don't have to park it diagonally, AND a breakaway tongue is always helpful.

THREADJACK - Joel, dude, you were the Zombie Commuter driver on Thursday, from about Hwy 60 til you got off on Deerfield Road, I was running along side you, both sides honking and waving - you just kept those eyes locked right out the front window - HA!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 11:44am

Here's a pic of it. The conversion cost 533.00 and my buddy had it done at a place called RA Adams.

Steve, are you sure that was me? :p That's funny. When I'm slogging through traffic in the 4R I bet I do zombie out a bit. This does not occur in the M5.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 11:56am
Do you have space for a portable shelter, tongue may need to be exposed but the boat would be fully protected. Could also be used for winter storage possibly.

http://www.shelterlogic.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=da68f888-9353-4e0e-8bd1-9df80095b3e8&CategoryName=Garages
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Do you have space for a portable shelter,

Excellent idea. I have one up north and it has served me well for over 12 years and I didn't even buy the premium vinyl.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Excellent idea. I have one up north and it has served me well for over 12 years and I didn't even buy the premium vinyl.

OOOH, I figured the snow would kill these. If not it would save me quite a bit on winter storage up there.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 2:52pm
I have thought quite hard about one of those shelters. That would work perfectly if I could find a place to put it. Maybe betwren that and a cover like tim suggested would be a good 2 year fix.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

OOOH, I figured the snow would kill these. If not it would save me quite a bit on winter storage up there.

Joel,
You haven't done any research on the "instant garages" have you! I get as much snow in Three Lakes as you do in Eagle River!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 6:02pm
Depends on the amount and type of snow you get at any one time. Guy has one at a house I drive by on the way to work been therefor at least 5 years with no issues that I could see, sort of a mansard roof (Barn shaped) type garage maybe 20 by 10 wide with lightweight metal struts as supports, he parks his BMW in there all year round. Last winter we got a good foot of heavy wet snow in about 8 hours, and the roof collapsed on his car. If you can get the snow off, or theres plenty of time between snowfalls for the snow to fall off on its own they seem to be fine.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 6:07pm
A "roof rake" would be a cheap investment as well. It you really wanted to go a bit further (although most likely not needed) a thin coating of armor all (or similar) would make the roof slicker than snot on a door knob.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

Depends on the amount and type of snow you get at any one time.   Last winter we got a good foot of heavy wet snow in about 8 hours, and the roof collapsed on his car.

Mark,
What is the difference between northern Wis snow and Mass snow?? In the 12 years, I have NEVER removed snow from it. Maybe your neighbor bought a cheap one for his BMW?   
Joel,
I need to mention that I did purchase a Cover-it brand and not one of the cheap ones you will find at places like Menards. Cover-it when I got it actually had a guarantee on snow loading. It is the "house" style. The snow slides right off the roof.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 9:03pm
Chris does not have a snow problem,he's mearly looking for summer between outings storage anyway. If he was to use one of those temp car shelters he might have to do some homework too. Some places won't let you put one up,out here no vehicle parking on the ground with out a concrete,asphalt or brick pad,and gravel doesn't count
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

no vehicle parking on the ground with out a concrete,asphalt or brick pad,and gravel doesn't count

I had the same problem when I lived in the city limits of Orlando except they would allow 4" thickness of gravel to park on.
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 11:30pm
I'm going through winter #4 with my Round Top brand of shelter (Fleet Farm). I do remove the snow with a broom as often as I can, but the boat is 2-1/2 hours away so it has had to withstand snow load for periods of time. A few neighbors at the lake have the Shelter Logic brand, and the style of shelter where the side walls angle out like an "A" frame, and they've only had issues when the snow melts, slides down the wall, and builds up putting pressure on the walls and cover (easy to take care of). I will be spending $450 to replace my shelter with a new one this summer as I'm afraid of the cover not making it through a 5th winter. It's been great, cheap, dry storage though, and I don't even have to put the tower down.

1992 Nautique Excel
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 9:56am
Pete I am not sure what the difference is in snow makeup is here but there are an awful lot of different types and brands of temp shelters here in new england and it seems a lot of them collapse    maybe it is wetter at times and comes down faster?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 10:05am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Pete I am not sure what the difference is in snow makeup is here but there are an awful lot of different types and brands of temp shelters here in new england and it seems a lot of them collapse    maybe it is wetter at times and comes down faster?

Peter,
The point I was making is we get the heavy wet snow too! It's not just New England. The "Cover-it" brand I have is now:
Originally posted by Airfooter Airfooter wrote:

Shelter Logic brand,

They even now have a snow/wind rated shelter.
Shelter logic

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 10:53am
Shelter logic makes some high quality stuff... But you can does a few bucks on it too! The snow-rated garage shelters aren't exactly cheap.

Definitely look into local zoning laws. Like mentioned above, you need a permit to put one up in our town- they specifically state that the approvals and set backs required for a garage apply to temporary shelters too.

Either way, a temporary shelter for summer use seems like overkill. Especially considering the mild nature of northern summers. Get a good cover and forget about it!
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 11:44am
Something I have seen done down here. Really not sure if it works but thought it worth mentioning. Some people apply a heavy coat of paste wax to the boat and leave it on before wrapping or storing the boat for the off season. When opened for the season they wipe off the wax along with any dirt or bugs etc. and have a freshly waxed boat. Seems Ok in principle but I never have actually done it.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 11:49am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Either way, a temporary shelter for summer use seems like overkill.

My primary reason for posting about details on the temporary shelters is for Joel and his need for winter storage up north. BTW, I never needed to get a permit for mine up there. Another nice thing is they are movable. When I built my shop, I got 8 people together and we carried it to another location.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 11:59am
The temporary shelter really isn't an option for Chris. He would have to purchase a lot, and then at that point, you might as well roll a pole building or Garage into the mortgage.

He is somewhat challenged because he lives in an urban area, but blessed with his mother having a garage. Unfortunately when he puts his boat in there, here truck has to sit out. Hence the need for a shorter trailer with less width.

He has access to an airport hanger for storage but that is almost 30 miles away and in the opposite direction of Lake Michigan and the Milwaukee River, which he can literally see from his apartment. I am not sure if even a high quality cover with side skirts might be challenging, because he still has to park it somewhere, in said Urban environment.

I keep telling to just buy a house on a lake and be done with it, get out of the city!
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 12:06pm
I bought my Tent shelter in Milford, CT about 5 years ago. It is a 12' by 24' and I paid around $500. since I have owned it we have had some pretty big snowstorms only problem I've had, a couple of the support poles bent when we had a huge snow storm. I did have to put the tent up on some 6" by 6"s to get enough door height for windshield clearance. Mine is a round roof not sure if the peak roof would have more door height.
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 12:30pm
And I think his apartment parking spot is the middle one of a 3 car bay, perhaps the real width problem. An older Ski Nautique would fit, something like an orange 72...

Find an outdoor spot and get a nice cover. I got a lift and slip on another lake but no canopies allowed...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

And I think his apartment parking spot is the middle one of a 3 car bay, perhaps the real width problem. An older Ski Nautique would fit, something like an orange 72...

Find an outdoor spot and get a nice cover. I got a lift and slip on another lake but no canopies allowed...

Apparently that Orange 72 (Promo) is SOLD - Soon to be seen painted, wrapped and sporting a nice new Monster Tower and lots of indoor outdoor carpeting...

What "Other" lake are you now???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Apparently that Orange 72 (Promo) is SOLD - Soon to be seen painted, wrapped and sporting a nice new Monster Tower and lots of indoor outdoor carpeting...

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 1:04pm
I am using my friend's condo slip on Lake Mary, where my ski club is. We got a new/used 4000# lift for the BFN on Powers. Selling my 3000#.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 1:45pm

Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Pete, I don't know for sure that is what is going to happen, but it is probable.

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I am using my friend's condo slip on Lake Mary, where my ski club is. We got a new/used 4000# lift for the BFN on Powers. Selling my 3000#.

Oh, man that old lift would be perfect for the 176, does it come with the cover and side skirts? Ok Chris, let's find a spot on your favorite lake!!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 1:53pm
Sure does. Selling it as is since the new lift already has a canopy and frame. We will get a new shade cloth.

I edited it to 3000#. It's an older model and I can't really tell what it is (2000-3000) really but the new stainless cable is much better than that stiff galvanized one. Still a bitch to crank up. I do have 1 potential buyer scheduled to look at it this Sunday or the next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic