NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Home made CPES

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home made CPES
    Posted: December-16-2014 at 1:04pm
For the guys that made home made CPES, what exactly is the mixture and did you add hardener to the epoxy before thinning or is the thinner the hardener?
I need to apply some to an old oak barn beam I'm using for a project and don't have time to order the real CPES
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 1:08pm
Paul...... when we thin out epoxy resin here at work we mix the two together according to the weight ratio THEN add Acetone to thin it out to the viscosity needed.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 1:14pm
Yeah what Timbob said... I've done the same but with xylene- always mixed the epoxy and hardener first.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 1:16pm
Oak Barn Beam project? Sounds interesting!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 1:21pm
Paul,
Is the beam going to be outside or see any water moisture? If not, then you may consider going without anything to save the original patina. Are you surfacing or resawing the beam? Tell us more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 1:51pm
I used Xylene as well. I mixed about 4:1 ratio of mixed epoxy to Xylene. It's easy to tell when you don't have enough as it'll just lay on top of the surface instead of soaking in.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 4:20pm
Thanks guys
More info when I get time
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Thanks guys
More info when I get time

Paul,
You must really be busy not finding the time to fill us in on the project! We'll be waiting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 10:33pm
OK finally getting my head above water so this is what I was working on.
My wife wanted to be in the new side of the house for Christmas, the contractor was done so that meant I had to finish all the items that were on the sweat equity list.
The fire place was the biggest one. I have some old barn beams that I acquired several years ago for projects like this. I had to rip the beam down on two sides with a chain saw to the 8 x 8 size we decided to go with. Then I used my power hand planner to smooth out the back side that went against the wall and the top. When I ripped it down I found some rot that was the main reason for the home made CPES. Plus I wanted to seal it without stain or any type of varnish or poly. The sealer worked perfect for this.   

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2014 at 8:41am
Paul,
Ir looks fantastic. I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm always happy to see a project in wood. You know if god had wanted us to have fiberglass boats, he would have created fiberglass trees!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2014 at 11:34am
That's great, now let's get the electrical wrapped up!

Nice touch with the skiing pic on the big screen!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic