Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another SN followed me home!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another SN followed me home!
    Posted: December-15-2014 at 11:13pm
1967 Ski Nautique 18 footer with a 318 Chrysler that is in unknown shape but complete. Now why don't I know more? I bought it in a pouring rain, almost dark with flat tires for $300! It has to be worth that much. Got it home without getting a ticket.
Has the original Manufacturers Certificate of Origin signed by George R.
Oakley, Treasurer 4/15/1967.
Another treasure? We'll see. Photos to follow.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2014 at 11:16pm
So much awesome in that post.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 12:31am
and so another story begins!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 1:16am
feel like somethings missing
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 1:40am
Sounds like the start of a great story.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 1:49am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

feel like somethings missing

That's all I have at the moment

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 8:59am

Got the seats out and wiped them off. Great condition, not burned or worn at all. No damage to fiberglass bases. Can these be 48 year old original seats?
Looks like it was a red boat painted white so long ago the paint almost wipes off, very chalky. Thinking of sanding it down. Gotta see if the engine and trans and stringers are ok first. Floor seems very solid after leaves and dirt removed. Later
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 10:13am
Fiberglass bases? Post some pics of what you mean, never seen or heard of any such thing on a boat of this era. The aluminum frames appear original, no telling on vinyl but it looks to be original style.

The 1st gen SN hull is very thick, the floor isn't needed for structural support. Stringer condition shouldn't stop you from pulling the paint off. There are fiberglass safe chemical strippers to consider in addition to the sanding option.

seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 10:43am
Looks great!
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 12:29pm
Glad it was rescued! More pictures, more pictures!!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 12:38pm
Great find. Keep us posted on the progress. If you are going to do an original restoration, rely on the site for any questions that come up. I as well as others I'm sure are curious about what's under that white paint. I agree that the seat bases are not original. Maybe they used them to gain some height?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 1:52pm

In the light of day, I see the engine box is from a 78 or so Mastercraft stars and stripes. First someone cut out a hole for the too tall carb, patched that, and added 2 inches of wood to the bottom edge of the box. Hmmm not sure what to do about that.

The white paint wipes off like chalk. I think the top was red, sides white, and latex house paint was sprayed. I'll look into a gel safe paint stripper, didn't know that was an option.
The seat bases are definitely fiberglass, use black plastic knobs on studs to hold on, battery is under drivers seat, so this provides access. No idea where they originated but not original from what you said.
Trailer is cobbled up from something it looks like. 2 by 4 bunks held on with rope wound around one.
I'm taking it out to the family ranch and putting it in a big tin garage, can't leave it on the street. At least it'll be dry to work on then
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 2:28pm
The trailer appears to be the original.

Post some better pics of those glass seat pedestals, it's possible they came from a newer SN and have value to someone.

What engine does it have? Post a pic if you can. There's a good chance the boat had a wood motorbox originally.

Same colors as the '66 brochure it sounds like? Same as my '67.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 8:22pm

So I got it into the tin shed, took off the motor box, rear wood section, and stripped the old carpet out. The floor is 1/2 inch plywood panels, screwed to the boat, is this original? Is there foam under this?
The motor turns by socket wrench, trans has red tranny fluid, engine bolts tight to stringers, all good news so far.
I set up a big box fan to dry it out, spread out the carpet pieces to dry for use as templates.
The steering cable is frozen up, expected that.
Done for today.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 8:43pm
On a 67, I don't feel you will find foam under the sole.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 11:08pm
I think Reid told me no foam up till '65. After that it was optional for a few years.
Tim D
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

On a 67, I don't feel you will find foam under the sole.

Our 67 had foam under the floor as shown here when Mike (Wakeslayer) was replacing the stringers.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 7:54am
Yup, foam was common by '67, though technically optional. Thin skin of glass over it (probably not sealed great in the nose or under the tank) and then a ply floor screwed down last- originally would have been covered in vinyl.

That's a la/LM Chrysler, most likely a 318 in a SN. Motorbox would have been wood originally.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 11:27am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Yup, foam was common by '67, though technically optional. Thin skin of glass over it (probably not sealed great in the nose or under the tank) and then a ply floor screwed down last- originally would have been covered in vinyl.

That's a la/LM Chrysler, most likely a 318 in a SN. Motorbox would have been wood originally.

I'll check the floor out, thanks.
The po provided 3 different Chrysler Marine service manuals, and none of them show the exhaust logs like these for a 318 (close to the valve covers/spark plug wires run underneath. Were these made by CC?
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by cbr1000dude cbr1000dude wrote:

The po provided 3 different Chrysler Marine service manuals, and none of them show the exhaust logs like these for a 318 (close to the valve covers/spark plug wires run underneath. Were these made by CC?

No those look like Chrysler or at least Chrysler-like aftermarket manifolds (Barr or Osco). One of your's is the more oval shape and the other is the more square shape.

The elbows on the rear of your exhaust manifolds are like mine and only have a 45° bend. Most other 318's I've seen on here have a 90° bend.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 1:01pm
The Chrysler service manuals that you were given may be for the Poly 318 instead of the LA/LM family. Other than the dual pocket RWP, I'm not sure what else they share- 2 very different engine architectures, I believe. '67 was a transition year (some poly's still made it into cc's). That's probably causing your confusion. Other than one of the manifolds being aftermarket, it looks like a standard LA/LM Chrysler. Cc didnt do anything special with them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 3:32pm
Great info, thanks guys!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 11:39pm
Day 2 of working on this boat. Still trying to get it clean and dry inside. Hooked up a battery, and it turns over! No spark. Points are crusty and not opening, so I filed them, and adjusted the gap, now there's a spark when I open them with the key on. Rotor and cap are shot, but I cleaned them up, but no spark at plugs, plugs and wires must be 40 years old. I was hoping for a pop or backfire, but no luck. Need a tune up kit. Coil ohms correct. Forgot my compression tester, next time.
The old white steering cable is broken in two behind the dash! Really thin housing. A new black one and clevis adapter is on it's way.
Doesn't sound like I got much done, but it took half a day.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2014 at 11:50pm
That sounds great, and to me sounds like you got quite a bit accomplished!

A quick suggestion, and maybe you've already done this. At a minimum spray a bit of fogging oil, or a few squirts of 10W30, into each spark plug hole. Even better would be to remove all spark plugs, remove distributor, and spin the oil pump with a drill and long adapter. If you are planning on a rebuild anyway this isn't a big deal, but if you are hoping it runs OK as is this can help with an engine that has sat for a very long time.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2014 at 8:31am
Another suggestion - rig up a temporary fuel source for startup so you don't pull the dirt out of old lines & tank.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2014 at 9:52am
Yeah, I just got excited when it turned over and abandoned my start up plan and went off on a tangent. Gas smells like very old kerosene. Gotta drain the tank (fuel gauge shows 1/2 tank, works), the Carter AFB carb is covered in white crusty/powdery stuff inside and out, 7 quarts of very think black oil in non stepped crankcase pan, but at least it's put together and all there unlike my 88 Barefoot beginning. Yes, I'd like to get this engine to run if possible.
I found the bilge pump up under the dash! This boat is full of surprises.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2014 at 12:05pm
I love that bilge pump modification, I'm going to relocate all my bilge pumps to under the dash. That way we won't waste valuable battery capacity until the water is up to just below the gunwales.

Some people are just ..... strange ...... in their thought process.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2014 at 8:22pm
its an emergency pump it is never an emergency til you actually see the water
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2014 at 8:33pm
Our Classic has one mounted to the deck. It has a hose that runs down into the bilge with a brass pick up. It doesn't work.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2014 at 9:36pm
If it's of any value here's the 318 in my brothers 72 Southwind

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic