NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another SN followed me home!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 5:45pm
Twins
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 9:54pm
Gary, that photo of your dad with the Corvette is the best!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 10:51pm
George Oakley's grand-niece is the HR director at CC. Her father, who was George's nephew, worked in the factory for probably 50 years, as did his father, Don, who was George's brother.
"Art"
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 11:20pm

I got it off the trailer today, and it was quite a pain. I guess it looks easier than it is. It took me half a day, but now I could do it in no time

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 11:18pm

Stripped down the trailer and painted it aluminum color since I had some oil based paint. Looks a lot better.
I registered the boat, but the trailer is out of the DMV system, so I have to take it to the CHP office in Martinez to get it "blue plated"? and a new VIN. Can't get a one day moving permit without a VIN, can't put it on the road without a moving permit. Catch 22. But I can put it on my other boat trailer to take it there! Seems weird but that's the rules.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 12:21pm
Your DMV must be much fussier than their FL counterpart. Usually the cops here don't even give you a second look on the road without a tag on a trailer, except in certain towns, like Winter Park. I used to literally tow boats all over the Southeast without a tag. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you've found a solution.

I commented to Shirley (Oakley) Adams that you have an MSO signed by her great uncle, and she said she'd love to have a photocopy of it if possible. If you'd like, you can scan it and send to me at acozier@nautique.com or just mail a photocopy to my attention at Nautique Boats, 14700 Aerospace Parkway, Orlando FL 32832. Thanks!
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 2:56pm
Sure, I sent you a copy in the mail today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 10:33pm

Progress on the trailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 12:13pm

I made a prop/rudder guard today and it's super strong. The steel cost me $9.76 at the recycler which really appeals to my thrifty nature! I bolted it all together with 1/2 inch bolts and nylock nuts (OK, those cost more than the steel), so it's not going anywhere. The rear of the original #3 trailer was unprotective and real floppy. The guide poles waved on the road like a mad metronome. Real solid now (weighs 40 plus pounds), and I can back up my driveway without worrying about the prop or rudder hitting the concrete. 2 more brackets and some paint and it's done. And yes, the little 12 inch prop clears with plenty of room.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by cbr1000dude cbr1000dude wrote:

And yes, the little 12 inch prop clears with plenty of room.

Side to side??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 4:52pm
Yeah,As bad is my Tique is about rolling up criss crossed on the trailer that guard would worry me.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 9:40pm
Were you able to get your trailer registration issue solved yet?

I did get the copies of the MSO that you sent; gave them to Shirley. She was thrilled to have another piece of family memorabilia/history. Thanks for that.

I also am a bit concerned about your prop guard. On the flatter boat ramps, you're going to have to be real careful to be sure the back of the boat doesn't torque over when you go to back off the trailer. CC had that very problem with some of the SN trailers when we first added the drag bar. We finally made the down-angle pieces almost vertical to solve the problem. I think forvicjr is referring to when you load a 16 footer on a trailer, it helps to come onto the trailer at a bit of an angle to make sure that both chines of the boat are on top of the bunks before you bring it straight on the trailer. If the chine fails to make it onto the bunk, you can easily damage the chine on the front trailer wishbone. Be careful
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 9:51pm
NG,
I just noticed you didn't bevel your new bunks. Reason?? I also see you didn't bend them into the wishbone shape of the trailer. Reason?? I'm curious and wonder how the boat fits on the new bunks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 10:01pm

It has about the same width clearance as my 88 BFN and 90 SN, just a different shape. If you're getting that sideways, try not putting it in so deep. My wife always drives the boats on the trailers, never gets sideways. I guess we'll see. I can always modify it since it's just bolted together. Painted, licensed and new lights. Done for now.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 10:11pm
Pete, just for the record, when I use the word "wishbone" as applied to a trailer, I refer to the V-shaped cross members. Only because that's the term that CC has always used. I sense that you use it to refer to the overall shape of the main "rails" of the trailer. Makes more sense to me, because that truly is a wishbone shape. But, the term was probably started by the same guy who started the term "motor" in our factory to refer to the gasoline-fueled mechanical device that propels the boat. To this day, they still refer to the department in the factory as "Motor Installation." To me, motors either clamp onto the transom of a boat, or they use electricity to run things like electric drills! There's also the guy who refers to the stuff that gives a boat its color as "gelco." He finally retired, and now it's finally being called correctly "gel coat." It's a crazy world out here! :)
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 12:49pm

This sloppy mechanical drawing should in no way reflect poorly on my metal shop teacher, I'm sure he's turning in his grave at the sight!
In any case, it appears I have minimum of 10" of sideways movement (each side) before the prop can strike the guard. more if it's on an oblique angle.
Will the trailer guide pole even deflect that much, doesn't seem so considering the added stiffness from the box shape created by the prop guard. A cut at 9" from the bunk end would lower it 2 1/4 inches, raise the lowest edge 1", and make it 16"clearance each side. This seems a good mod for added peace of mind.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 1:56pm
Seems you are awfully tight side to side and have a lot of clearance where you don't need it (below). My newer cc trailers with prop guards have as little as 1/2" of vertical clearance to the guard and I still manage to drag it on the driveway on a regular basis. Never had a problem on the older (guard less) trailers. You may have done more harm than good by adding it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

NG,
I just noticed you didn't bevel your new bunks. Reason?? I also see you didn't bend them into the wishbone shape of the trailer. Reason?? I'm curious and wonder how the boat fits on the new bunks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

I sense that you use it to refer to the overall shape of the main "rails" of the trailer.

Art,
Yes, I have always referred to the term "wishbone" due to the shape of the main frames.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 2:58pm
Does Grand Poobah mean humorless Chicken Little syndrome.
I've grown some tough skin reading some of the replies I get on this forum, as have others I'm sure. I'll just ignore you in the future, and continue ruining my boats as I please. Perhaps someone else can get some value from my efforts or failures.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by cbr1000dude cbr1000dude wrote:

Does Grand Poobah mean humorless Chicken Little syndrome.
I've grown some tough skin reading some of the replies I get on this forum, as have others I'm sure. I'll just ignore you in the future, and continue ruining my boats as I please. Perhaps someone else can get some value from my efforts or failures.

Sorry you feel that way but, perhaps ignoring my questions will hinder others as they may have issues without beveling their bunks nor shaping them into the wishbone shape. I asked if you have tried the boat on your trailer to see how it works.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 5:24pm
OK, I'm all better now, I had some food and chocolate cake.
I haven't had the boat back on the trailer yet, still have lots of sanding to do to the boat. The bunks that were on the trailer when I bought it were just like the new ones I made,2 pieces on each side at a slight angle) didn't know they weren't original. They were very old and rotten. This boat is quite flat where the bunks rest, not like the newer ones, looked good to me. New wood, recessed hex bolts, nylock nuts and new black bunk carpet glued and lots of SS staples under the bottom edge. Should last a long time.
As to the prop/rudder guard dragging on some slopes, good! Better than the prop or rudder. Plus it protects going forward like if you put a wheel in a rut or off a high road edge, or hit a piece of concrete in the middle of the road! No prop guard made no sense to me.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 5:30pm
I find myself dragging my guard on a regular basis, even though I'm aware and try to avoid it, and even though I'm using a drop hitch to bring the trailer tongue as low as practical. But, though it makes noise it doesn't do any harm.

If you are considering modifying it, I think the easiest and most effective way would be to chop both angle members 1/3 of the way from where they meet in the V, lower the angle of each of them, and insert a straight horizontal piece to join them, just as most of us have on our trailers. It gives you more side to side clearance, a bit more clearance from the ground, and when you do scrape instead of a V digging a groove in pavement it will be a flat that tends to just drag and lift the trailer (really just relieving some spring weight) over the obstacle.

Nice work, I need to make my trailer look as good as yours, way too much rust and wear showing on mine at this point.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I find myself dragging my guard on a regular basis, and when you do scrape instead of a V digging a groove in pavement it will be a flat that tends to just drag and lift the trailer (really just relieving some spring weight) over the obstacle.

Nice work,.

Thanks.
There is a 8 inch flat of angle iron on the bottom leading edge to act a sacrificial skid if you look closely.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 6:04pm
You know, I missed that.

I do like the ease of loading on a low bunk trailer, but have wondered if Ramlin made them maybe just an inch higher if a lot of the clearance scrapes would have been avoided.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 7:26pm
Do see how the boat sits on the bunks and post some pictures. I feel you were misdirected by the PO's mistake. There are several threads on bunk replacement and I remember one even had the bevel dimensions. I also remember one even has pictures showing the bending of the bunks to match the wishbone shape. I think the factories idea was to spread the load of the boat out as evenly as possible. You don't want high stress areas from single point contacts. A fiberglass hull isn't as critical as a wood hull for support as I've seen several disasters of hull damage on wood hulls when an owner decided a roller trailer was a good idea.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 7:46pm
Here is how Phoenix trailers did mine,I wish I could unbolt it,it
makes a great sod cutter when I back up in the yard

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 7:59pm
no one gets just how fast these things are til they spot the wheelie bars . then they take their bayliners and run home
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 1:07pm
Thats pretty funny!
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 3:05am
Edit.
Responding to "Art" quote failed I reckon.

Yep....
A lot of it unintentional. I come in at an angle but it seems sometimes if I don't hit it just right the Tique will try to go completely 90* from the trailer and hop up on the fenders and or catch the end of the bunks. I admit to coming in "HOT" at times but the ramp I use Has High traffic and wind.Its mostly pronounced on windy days. And I only drop the fenders an inch or two under water when loading. If I'm not in the boat and backing the trailer I drown the trailer and walk it in. To each to there own. I know these boats well and their trailer etiquette is lacking especially with a novice loading. I would just hate to see fourty dollars in steel mess up a three hundred dollar prop. School of hard Knox is the only learning for a lot of folks.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic