NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another SN followed me home!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2014 at 12:59pm
Gary,
I agree that we saw some better lumber back then but were seeing virgin lumber still. The grading system has not changed but today they will take defects all the way to the extreme and back then pass better quality as lower grades.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2014 at 11:53pm
Pine lumber sucks. They are cutting hybrid fast growing pulp wood for lumber. And 12 foot 2x4's are cut from the top of the tree and are full of knots and the most of the corners are rounded off.
Tim D
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2014 at 6:03pm

These are 2 angles of the drivers seat base (fiberglass) I mentioned that came from where? I plan to use them,I don't see any point in building wood ones.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2015 at 1:32am

The blob! I took the gas tank out to clean it, and after rinsing it several times with gas, I set it on end to drain. This was the beginning of a huge blob that started coming out! I've cleaned a few old tanks, but this is the worst accumulation I've seen.
I left it upside down to keep draining overnight. Can this tank be saved? Where can I get a new one that will fit if not?
Happy New Year btw!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2015 at 1:57am
They can all be saved, just depends on how much money you want to throw at it. I had my Mustang tank restored (cut open, sandblasted, welded up, and epoxy coated inside) but I'm not going to use it. The patches are visible and I have a nice spare. Some have changed over to plastic tanks. Vondy has a nice pictorial here scroll down to Vondy's post.
If you're interested my Mustang tank is listed in the "parts for sale" forum. I am asking what the repair cost.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 10:07pm
I wanted to get this engine to at least run before I got too involved in this project, and today it did! I had to hot wire the coil (losing volts somewhere) and pour a little gas down the now clean carb (the gas tank is still oozing the La Brea Tar Pits out the filler) and replace most of the ignition parts. At least I know where I'm starting now. I'll bet this engine hasn't fired in 40 years. Trying to post a short video without luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 12:07pm

I got the dirty cracked windshield off, and the instrument mounting pos particle board too. What were they thinking using particle board, it turned into a hairy, particle spewing mess that I broke off with my hands! So I'm wondering what to replace it with, perhaps black acrylic?
Looks pretty racy sans windshield.
I acrylic bonded the windshield 3 pieces together, but of course the broken lines still are there. Considering it's future too.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by cbr1000dude cbr1000dude wrote:

I got the dirty cracked windshield off, and the instrument mounting pos particle board too. What were they thinking using particle board, it turned into a hairy, particle spewing mess that I broke off with my hands! So I'm wondering what to replace it with, perhaps black acrylic?

By "they" do you mean Correct Craft? Because that instrument panel above your windshield certainly wasn't original. I plan on mounting a single speedometer above the steering wheel with the rest of the instruments in the center of the dash.

Just like this:

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 1:49pm
Much like wearing a Salmon colored shirt, only real men drive without a windshield ----
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 1:57pm
^^^   True   ^^^

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Originally posted by cbr1000dude cbr1000dude wrote:

By "they" do you mean Correct Craft? Because that instrument panel above your windshield certainly wasn't original. I plan on mounting a single speedometer above the steering wheel with the rest of the instruments in the center of the dash.

Just like this:

Do you really think so? I was wondering if it was possible someone other than CC fabricated an instrument panel, but it didn't seem likely. I've seen the single speedo like that and the rest of the instruments mounted where my glove box is on a Mustang of that era, but the Ski Nautique had 2 speedometers and instruments mounted in the same panel I thought. From the holes in the deck, it sure looks original.
Perhaps someone has a photo they can share.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 2:26pm
Craig is correct. Refer to the photo he posted as to what is original. Single speedo was optional.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 2:29pm
I'm certainly not the expert, and I know there wasn't a lot of consistency, but that picture I posted is of an original 1st Gen SN. It's also how my boat was configured with the exception that at one point it looks like someone added a 2nd speedo over the center of the dash.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Craig is correct. Refer to the photo he posted as to what is original. Single speedo was optional.

I agree. Sounds like a PO did a hack job with the particle board.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 8:37pm
I am sure we can all agree hack and particle board on a boat go hand in hand
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 12:28am

This is the dash after removing the glove box (not stock I see now), the po added a small wood piece on the left to make it fit. I'm moving the instruments back where they started. Thanks for the photo!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 10:01pm

I repaired the windshield, and today made braces from aluminum stock (inside and outside) and ss machine button head bolts to hide the crack, and make the whole structure stiffer. The white rubber piece on the bottom edge needed lots of SOS and elbow grease, but came out pretty good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 12:33am

I discovered 2 holes for the helm, was this an option or PO DIY? I tried sitting behind the right location (which was how I got it) and it's way too close to the Morse control for me, so I'll switch it to the left one.
The red gel coat under the paint seems in good shape, so I'll keep sanding and hope for the best. It's a pretty red buffed up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 12:46am
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 1:16am
Cbr,
Is that a candy red under the white? That looks really nice after it's waxed. Always wanted a Mustang in the late 60s in that color.
1972 Mustang
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 4:59am
Anyone know what color that red is actually called? My dad's other boat is a 1969 ski nautique not finished(not even close) is a nice red but it's faded. It looks similiar to cbr's SN deck.
1972 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 10:25am
Chevy, check out the brochures in the reference section, there's a lot of great info in them. No '67 brochure but he '66 mentions a Dragon Red, and '68 mentions a Candy Apple. The SN in the '66 brochure looks pretty bright to me, tough to say which you have. My 67sn is pretty bright too.

The factory would have only put in one set of holes for the helm.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 10:29am
NG,
Be careful with sanding the paint off especially on corners. Even though the gel is pretty thick, you sure don't want to sand through it. I suggest using some gel safe paint stripper first.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Chevy, check out the brochures in the reference section, there's a lot of great info in them. No '67 brochure but he '66 mentions a Dragon Red, and '68 mentions a Candy Apple. The SN in the '66 brochure looks pretty bright to me, tough to say which you have. My 67sn is pretty bright too.

The factory would have only put in one set of holes for the helm.

Thanks Tim.
1972 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

NG,
Be careful with sanding the paint off especially on corners. Even though the gel is pretty thick, you sure don't want to sand through it. I suggest using some gel safe paint stripper first.

I don't trust the "Gel Safe" claim from what I've read.
I'll be careful not to sand through the gel.
Long ago I did prep and finish sanding at a body shop for 4 years(when I wasn't driving the tow truck),seems like every ten minutes the painter yelled at me "watch the edges and corners"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 6:12pm
This is the one that Corvette forum people use,so I bought and tried it on the Shamrock and it did eat the gel. Rereading their website I see now it only says safe for Corvette fiberglass even though they show a boat on the bottle-----

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

This is the one that Corvette forum people use,so I bought and tried it on the Shamrock and it did eat the gel. Rereading their website I see now it only says safe for Corvette fiberglass even though they show a boat on the bottle-----

Actually, only the first Corvettes were laid up fiberglass, since then evolving composites known as SMC (sheet molding compound)have been used. They are pressed into shape in metal molds with heat. There is no gel coat involved, they are painted composite bodies.
My 2005 had a roof panel separate, and the new replacement (under warranty) roof arrived unpainted, and was painted by their paint shop.
Boat gel coat is sprayed into a polished mold and has a mold release of some sort. Then fiberglass is laid up over it, and popped out of the mold when cured. Totally different processes.
Even Corvette Forum owners(I am a member there also) don't know until they read up on it. I didn't.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 10:19am
Years ago I was redoing the stripe on my old 1984 BFN. I called correct craft and asked what to use
To remove the paint. They said "easy off" oven cleaner. I used it and it was great. No issues to the gel coat- and took the paint off really easy. Now I'm not sure if the paint that's in you boat is the same as what cc used but I can tell you it would be worth the $5 for a can of easy off.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 12:29pm
Oven cleaner might be something to try,certainly easy to get and cheap enough to throw away if it don't. As to Vetts,Dad owned a couple and had gone to school with d*ck Doan of Doan Chevy here in Dundee. I've posted this before so I hope I'm not boring anyone but here's Dad with his first one.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 4:21pm
Very cool photo!
Since we're on to white Corvettes, here's me with my 1988 back a few years ago (quite a few).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic