NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another SN followed me home!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2014 at 10:10pm
My 64 skier had the same pump, my guess it was the days before submersible pumps
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 12:37am
I pulled up the plywood floor today, and there is foam underneath a thin fiberglass skin! Everything seems really solid but dirty. The lumber is much more hefty than a 2001 model, really hefty. The plywood is pretty good for 48 years of moisture, but I'll make new ones.
I don't understand this design, it traps water under untreated plywood on top of a thin layer of fiberglass. Am I missing something?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 12:56am
Planned obsolecence . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 1:08am

I pulled up a single ply of fiberglass over the port muffler with 2 fingers, not attached too well. I'll do better.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 8:31am
Keep in mind that Correct craft had only been building fiberglass boats for a few years at this point... Construction techniques were still a little rough.

My guess is that the thin fiberglass skin was meant to keep water out of the foam, whereas the ply on top provided impact resistance so you could walk on it. The ply isn't really a problem but the thin skin that stops short of the nose and gas tank really isn't sufficient to keep water out of everything long term. They addressed this in the 70's.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 10:24am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

My guess is that the thin fiberglass skin was meant to keep water out of the foam, whereas the ply on top provided impact resistance so you could walk on it. The ply isn't really a problem but the thin skin that stops short of the nose and gas tank really isn't sufficient to keep water out of everything long term. They addressed this in the 70's.

Prior to the "Foam" technology (i.e. in Dad's 64) there was no foam, so the floor was 1/2" painted (gray) plywood screwed to the stringers. The plywood was covered with a scratchy stuff more like wallpaper then vinyl. Art had found some at some point. Anyway Tim, your theory makes sense, no foam so no thin skin. Maybe they foamed some boats, they got wet - and heavy in testing, so they decided they needed a flooring that was a little more water resistant.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 10:38am
Don't forget they had been foaming for even less time and would have had to rely on the supplier for info on how it would work IMO. The wood was different back then too,what is premium today was off the shelf then. That seemed to change around the early 70's. I used to notice it in the houses I used to work in,floor joists were a big clue on when it was built.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 11:35am
Yeah I'm not sure how much r&d went into the foam and thin skin on top... Probably more of a common sense thing than anything else. I'm guessing it would take a pretty long time to see the adverse effects of waterlogged foam- heck, I still have boats from that era (which I'm sure are soggy) and they still work just fine! They definitely went to more lengths to thicken and seal the floor just years later (even the new designs in '70 and '71) are way ahead of the late 60's stuff)... Probably just a learning curve with the new materials and methods.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 12:06pm

Makes sense, thanks. I found some of that "wallpaper" along the edges where it tucked under the plywood. It must have been cut off and replaced with the blue carpet I removed.
The plywood is only 3/8 inch secured by 4 to 6 screws per panel. The screws themselves were half gone, but the wood frame is very solid.
So what to do. Seems this "design" is still solid after 48 years. There are a few cracks in the thin fiberglass coating, and water seeping into the bilge area and battery box. I have a heat lamp and box fan going to dry it out. Suggestions?
The trailer has a 2 inch ball adapter welded over the 1 3/4 original, jack housing cut out and moved forward, fenders reattached with welded bar stock, all very hack job, but functional. The trailer is a project unto itself..
The hull has been painted a least twice. I cleaned an area about 2 by 2 ft with lacquer thinner, and the first chalky color came right off, revealing a cream colored paint. Only the 2 inch square where the registration sticker was seems like the original white gel coat.
Well getting to the steering cable will be easy now. The shifter and throttle cables are functional but stiff. The floor panel would have to be removed to change them because of a screwed down clip in the tunnel area they are run, so this will be done. I'm thinking of running them behind the new side carpet inside a housing rather than on top of it like the PO did. Was the "wallpaper" fixed under them or over them for"easy" access to change them.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 12:14pm
Not so quick on the "hack job" classification on those trailer elements... Post some pics. The bar stock used to attach the fenders sounds original, at least (it adds some regidity to otherwise thin fenders).

Correct on the clips holding down the control cables... It's worth adding that you can reinstall the cables without them. Hopefully you're considering an original restoration... In which case, carpet wouldn't be used. Painted interior walls and vinyl covered floor panels would be. Functional and good looking... And easier than installing carpet too! Not to mention cheaper.

Capt lee's 'spra strip is the one I've heard good things about. Effective, but safe for glass- the corvette guys seem to like it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 1:00pm
You can delete the Captain from your memory bank Tim. I had done a lot of googling and yes the Corvette guys do use it but others there recommend just to sand the paint off their Vetts. So anyway I bought some for the Shamrock job because I thought it would get the old paint out of the non skid of the deck,which it did by removing the gel in that area and the surrounding plain areas.Luckily I tried it in a small area first. When you think of it, Corvettes are not gel coated and that may be the key
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

.. In which case, carpet wouldn't be used. Painted interior walls and vinyl covered floor panels would be. Functional and good looking...

I always thought/assumed they had the vinyl right up the walls as well. Was it gel or paint?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 1:20pm
Painted right over the fiberglass, no gel.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 1:44pm
The preferred method of stripping a Corvette body is soda blasting. It effectively removes the paint without etching the fiberglass significantly and leaves no residue in recesses that may leach and damage the new paint like chemical strippers can. I just finished one. I don't know how it would work on gel but I could check with the shop that did this and get back to you.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 2:21pm
Gel is just poly resin without glass, sounds like the spra strip isn't as safe as advertised! I know other chemical strippers can be used (some people swear by oven cleaner) but you have to be careful with it (how long it sits on the surface, etc). Guess this one is no different.

John, soda blasting sounds easier than sanding- does that require a booth? I wonder what it would cost to do a hull and deck...

By the early 70's, CC was spraying a splattered (gray/white) gel on the inside hull walls on boats where they would be visible, either partially (SN's with ski pockets) or fully (Skiers,etc). I do not believe that was done in the mid-late 60's though... I think they were either covered with side panels (common in late 1gen) Mustangs) or painted. I don't recall seeing vinyl on the walls. The vinyl actually installed on the ply floor before they were screwed down... The vinyl wraps around the edges and t-trim installs between floor panels (this was done thru the early 70's).

This pic of a '67/68 sort of shows the floor and walls.

http://correctcraftfan.com/reference/1968_brochure/index.asp?page=14
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 2:34pm
Soda blasting does not require a booth if you have room for the mess. It's sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) so no environmental issues except the paint. The car must be taken down to a shell because it has VERY small particles that get into everything but are easily vacuumed up. I know they use it on boat hulls, but I don't know what it does to the gel. It is not a very expensive process but the equipment is a bit different than sandblasting equipment I am told. it works really well. The Corvette surface requires a minimum of prep before painting compared to other methods.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 2:49pm
Is that a '58 Vette? Hard to tell if it has the hood vents & trunk straps or not from the pics.

Beautiful car nonetheless.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 3:20pm
Yea, it's a 58. Trunk spears and fake louvers included.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 3:55pm
Soda blasting a painted hull piqued my curiosity so I contacted Redi strip and asked about removing paint from a gel coated boat hull. They have done this for customers with success, but, according to them, there are a lot of variables such as the type of paint applied and the condition of the gel coat under the paint. Some customers have been satisfied while others have not. They do a small test area and require the owner to approve of the result before doing the job. It also allows them to give some gross estimate of the cost involved. Remember that the hull was painted for a reason and the reason usually wasn't because the glare was blinding other boaters. What I understood after talking a while is that it can be done and will not damage the gel beyond what a good buff will restore. Pricing is time and material so there is no way or accurately predicting the cost. I have had parts stripped there both by acid dipping and soda blasting and it is not cheap, but compares to other methods unless you want to do the stripper and wire brush / chemicals / sanding / in your garage and have a lot of spare time.

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

I guess I'm going to have to re-think my plan on how I glass the floor to the wall then. I was planning on just using 2" tape, 4" tape, then cloth from hull sides to primaries. But the transition from cloth to woving roving on the hull sides would be clearly visible and look terrible in my opinion when covered by just paint. I had wrongfully assumed (typical) that the vinyl went up the hull sides and would cover this transition.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

I guess I'm going to have to re-think my plan on how I glass the floor to the wall then. I was planning on just using 2" tape, 4" tape, then cloth from hull sides to primaries. But the transition from cloth to woving roving on the hull sides would be clearly visible and look terrible in my opinion when covered by just paint.

Nothing a little grinder smoothing (and thickened resin filling if necessary for any low spots) can't fix. You should see some of the smooth, near-mirror finishes achieved in the bilge after a stringer job by some here! Heck, I smooth out the transitions even if I plan to cover with carpet.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 4:26pm
I was less concerned about the "lip" of the transition, and more concerned over the actual texture of the roving compared to cloth. Unless I faired out the whole hull side there would be a clear texture difference of the surface. I would prefer the raw look of the roving just painted over if that's the way it would've came from the factory. I figured a real smooth hull side might look a little more modern. I'm probably splitting hairs.   
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 4:35pm
What boat are you talking about and why would you be glassing the floor to the wall in a boat old enough that you would care about the look of the woven roving on the side wall?     You are right btw the transition would look terrible.. I did it in my 67 mustang it would look terrible painted over and visible.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 4:38pm
I think you'll find roving is a less than optimal choice for that joint for reasons more important than texture... But if you're committed to that plan, an extra coat of resin or 2 followed by sanding and grinding the edges would probably knock it down pretty far. The inside of the hull walls on my 67 have some hatching on them iirc... I would be trying to make it consistent one way or the other.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 7:09pm

This is the Home depot indoor outdoor carpet I used on my 88 Barefoot. It cuts and trims easily and looks and feels great when it's hot on bare feet. 3M #77 spray adhesive sticks great, is tacky fast, and doesn't bleed through. It was much easier and cheaper than the Boatcarpet.com carpet and cans of glue I used on my 87 SN (no shipping for one) and looks better.
Sometimes, original is not the best solution. Hot, slippery vinyl has no appeal to me. Just my opinion.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 9:45pm
CBR...sorry for the threadjack.

Joe, I'm referring to my 67 project. I know your stance on not glassing the floor to the hull. I debated for a while on this but ultimately decided to glass the gap between the floor and hull sides.

Tim, I'm not really wanting to use roving, I just want the sides of the hull to look consistent from floor to gunnel. I feel there are 3 options:

1. Use roving on that joint and blend it to the current roving sides.
2. Use cloth but run it all the way up the sides to completely cover the roving.
3. Use cloth approx 4-5" up, fair/sand to a smooth side.

I think it'll probably be easier to fair and sand the hull sides and then paint it.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 11:00pm
I too thought carpet was the answer when I first did the Mustang. My pan was a mess and at the time no easy alternative was available. Within the first year I spilt oil on it changing the filter,I've hated carpet ever since and was so happy to find a pan. From a manufacturing standpoint carpet has to be easy and looks great at the showroom but I'll take a glass floor or maybe a Seadek over carpet any day IMHO
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 11:02pm
I probably wouldn't worry about fairing and sanding perfectly smooth... I bet a coat of resin over it will smooth it out a good bit, I'm not sure id even go that far!

Those hulls are thick and don't need the added strength of a rigid floor to hull wall joint... But if you're trying to keep water out, a few layers of cloth tape won't hurt. Keep the floor itself off the hull wall by a bit (1/8-1/4"?) and that joint should be flexy enough to take a light hit without cracking the gel.

I'm looking forward to seeing your boat make progress, Craig! Original style 1gens are pretty rare.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2014 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

The wood was different back then too,what is premium today was off the shelf then. That seemed to change around the early 70's. I used to notice it in the houses I used to work in,floor joists were a big clue on when it was built.

Not really. Typical construction lumber today is still 8/4" when milled but unlike the "back then" surfaced after kiln dried to the actual 1&1/2". Grades were very similar.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2014 at 11:52am
I ment quality wise,grains were tighter,less defects. The people selling it would have been embarrassed to sell you the stuff they sell today unless you were building packing crates. I don't believe the 2x6's HW got from me even had any knots in them at all. When my Grandfather built the garage in 1950 I'd be willing to bet that he didn't even see it until it was delivered so it wasn't hand picked
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic