NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Way To Remove Carpet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Way To Remove Carpet?
    Posted: December-09-2014 at 10:21pm
I am replacing the carpet in our boat next month and need to know if there's an easy way to remove the old one without tearing it to shreds?

I've learned gasoline works really well on softening the carpet glue to where the carpet pulls right up, but I'd like to avoid using gas if at all possible.

There's a soft spot I need to inspect before the new carpet goes in as well.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 11:10pm
Powerwash the carpet...worked for me and cleaned the bilge
1994 Sport Nautique
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 8:13am
You used a power washer to remove the carpet?

Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 8:32am
We had 20 year old carpet in the boat and end of last season my wife decided the carpet needs a good scrub...
End of story was that we had a clean carpet but no advesion anymore...so we decided to put in new carpet.
But then the damage was done and I finished her work with the power washer and afterward was ready for new carpet
1994 Sport Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 9:55am
Tearing the carpet out of the Martinique was a tuff task for sure, it was not original and was way over glued. Ended up using a vice grip to get a better hold to tear it out, on some sections it took two of us pulling on it together to keep it peeling, was a biatch of a job, good luck, lol.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 10:01am
JP - I'm planning on replacing carpet too. I'd rather not soak the floor & stringers with water. What do you think of this stuff? Definitely a respirator activity.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 10:15am
Are you guys talking about soaking the carpet in something prior to removal in order to make it come up easier or more cleanly? That sounds like a recipe for a big mess.

I've always had decent luck removing the bulk of the carpet (certainly anything put on at the factory) by simply pulling it up by hand. Some small, more stubborn patches usually hang on, but the carpet is usually intact enough to use as a rough template for the new stuff.

Removing the remnants of the backing and old glue is another story and is a serious PITA, at least if you're trying to do a clean prep job for the new carpet going down. I have a 3' blade scraper that does a decent job removing most of the old carpet backing remnants. The adhesive left after that is a slow, ugly process to remove... A combination of acetone and a wire brush does a decent job, but it's not a fun one. The adhesive remover may do a little better than acetone? The shortcoming of the acetone is that it evaporates pretty quick and is not a lot of fun to breathe.

The fact that the glass floor is pretty uneven (you may be surprise if you haven't seen a bare factory floor before) is one of the things that makes this job rather difficult.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 10:16am
Chris, I've used another product by that company and it worked pretty well. It was a paint stripper though.

If the carpet is original, it may have some black 'rubber' glue my 88 had. I have no idea what that glue was, but refer to quinner's story for the rest of mine. I cleaned up the remaining glue with a 36 grit flapper disk.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 10:35am
SNobsessed: No idea if that adhesive remover would work or not. I guess you could always give it a try. I would tend to think it would work fine.

I plan on pulling up the carpet from the rear of the boat and use a sharp putty knife to score the edge still attached to the floor as a buddy helps pull it up.

I'd like to keep it as whole as possible so it makes a good template for my upholstery lady to use.

Not looking forward to cleaning up the floor or to see what condition it's in. There's a few spots that feel soft at times, but not sure what's doing under the carpet.

Does the carpet simply stop where the engine cradle sits or does it go under it a little. My guess is that it simply stops on the edge. Am I right?

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 10:52am
I get an edge lose and start pulling, if it gets stuck I take a rag saturated with acetone and wipe it across the leading edge of the glued carpet as I am pulling it up. That will usually get you moving again without breaking your back or tearing the carpet, sometimes I have to wipe the acetone across every few inches.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 11:02am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

A combination of acetone and a wire brush does a decent job, but it's not a fun one. The adhesive remover may do a little better than acetone? The shortcoming of the acetone is that it evaporates pretty quick and is not a lot of fun to breathe.

Toluene or Zylene are both strong solvents and do not evaporate as fast as acetone. It would probably be a good idea to use beryllium copper tools for this job!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 11:11am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

A combination of acetone and a wire brush does a decent job, but it's not a fun one. The adhesive remover may do a little better than acetone? The shortcoming of the acetone is that it evaporates pretty quick and is not a lot of fun to breathe.

Toluene or Zylene are both strong solvents and do not evaporate as fast as acetone. It would probably be a good idea to use beryllium copper tools for this job!

The man speaks in tongues, LOL. I think what Pete's trying to say is when working with flammable liquids take care not to create sparks hence the Beryllium Copper tools.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 11:13am
The carpet does not (and should not) extend under the cradle.

Whether those soft spots mean trouble or not depends on where they are... Anything between the front of the engine and the battery box is bad news (floor rot and likely stringer issues under that). Elsewhere may just be a small delaminated spot between the glass skin and foam underneath, as there is no wood in the floor beyond the aforementioned area. Take a look at a few stringer rebuild threads to get an idea- mid 70's thru early 90's construction is similar enough to give you an idea of what lies beneath.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 11:19am
Just an idea I had, curious if it would work. What about using a steamer like a wall paper remover? Would it loosen up the glue and make the carpet less brital to tearing?
Just a idea
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 3:09pm

The carpet does not (and should not) extend under the cradle.

Whether those soft spots mean trouble or not depends on where they are... Anything between the front of the engine and the battery box is bad news (floor rot and likely stringer issues under that). Elsewhere may just be a small delaminated spot between the glass skin and foam underneath, as there is no wood in the floor beyond the aforementioned area. Take a look at a few stringer rebuild threads to get an idea- mid 70's thru early 90's construction is similar enough to give you an idea of what lies beneath.

There seems to be a soft spot on the port side of the engine and possibly one right behind the driver's seat. I've seen the floor behind the driver's seat flex when heaver people step on the area, but I don't see it flex when me or my wife step on it.

It will be interesting to see whats going on under there. I have no intentions of ever doing stringers on this boat. I only need a few more years out of this thing before we move on to our next boat.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 3:18pm
If you are unwilling or unable to fix the issue, I would not even consider opening it up! Nothing will be any clearer with the carpet removed.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 3:55pm

If you are unwilling or unable to fix the issue, I would not even consider opening it up! Nothing will be any clearer with the carpet removed.

If it's simple delam in some areas, then fine, I'll fix it. If it requires stringers (which I doubt), then that's not something I want to fix in this boat.

Carpet is pretty trashed presently and is no longer glued down around the driver's seat due to the gel coat guy spilling gas all over the floor last spring.

I don't want to simply re-glue the current carpet, it's 22 years old. I figured I'd just replace it. Hope I don't find anything too troublesome underneath, but I'm not sure I will.

Only way to find out is to rip it up and see what's doing.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 4:04pm
Gasoline is used in gelcoat repair?

Tear up the carpet. Patch any cracks, maybe even a fresh layer of mat in trouble areas. Getting the area clean will require quite a bit of labor. Then put down the new carpet. This will buy you plenty of time but soft spots are the result of underlying damage. You're not fixing the problem.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 4:14pm
JP,
I too am curious what the gel guy was doing with gas!

When you get the carpet up and if a void is obvious, I'd drill some small holes and inject some foam. Great Stuff is fine. After injection, be ready to lay something flat over the area and weigh it down. The foam can and does create pressure when it expands. I've learned the hard way way back!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 4:40pm
LOL. I thought I mentioned the gas thing in the gelcoat thread a while back, but here's the cliffs notes version:

Gelcoat guy asked if I was OK with him not hooking up the gas hose to the filler neck prior to him delivering the boat. I said no problem. Little did I know was that he would leave the house disconnected and with nothing covering the open end. With about 25 gallons of gas in the tank and I'm sure a wild ride over to my house, a ton of gas spilled out onto the floor of the boat, lifting the carpet on the starboard side from the transom to the air vent box under the dash.

Im going to have to measure out where the driver's seat is located so I can reattached it in the right spot when it comes back from the upholsterer.

Once I lift the carpet, I'll post pics of my findings and you guys can tell me what is needed to fix anything I may find. I seriously hope it's nothing bad.

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 4:45pm
apparently gasoline takes the glue off then... if you get stuck with the above methods, I am sure a gallon is cheap to dump on the carpet
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Gelcoat guy asked if I was OK with him not hooking up the gas hose to the filler neck prior to him delivering the boat. I said no problem. Little did I know was that he would leave the house disconnected and with nothing covering the open end. With about 25 gallons of gas in the tank and I'm sure a wild ride over to my house, a ton of gas spilled out onto the floor of the boat, lifting the carpet on the starboard side from the transom to the air vent box under the dash.

I'd hardly call that this:

Carpet is pretty trashed presently and is no longer glued down around the driver's seat due to the gel coat guy spilling gas all over the floor last spring.

Wtf man. You spilled the gas!

LOL
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 7:06pm
Let me clarify HW:

When he left my house the hose was stuffed with a rag and the opening sealed up with duct tape.

When the boat left his house to come back to mine, he didn't cover it with anything. We needed to countersink the holes before we installed the filler neck and cap, which is why I said to leave it off. I figured he would clamp the housing onto the hose to prevent leaks or simply seal it up the way I did. Neither of which happened. If that's still my fault, then so be it, I'll own it.

The carpet is pretty worn and has some stains and holes in it. That's trashed enough in my book to warrant replacing.

When I got the boat back last spring, I took it back to my upholstery lady and she glued the carpet back down from the driver's seat back (I didn't know the carpet in front of the seat was lifted at that point).

So that's what happened. I guess I can take the blame for not confirming he made sure the fuel hose was sealed.

At the end of the day, this will all hopefully be resolved soon when I swap out the carpet.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 8:00pm
JP,
I'll back you up and say it's not your fault. You gave the boat to him with a sealed up hose and it should have been returned that way. Why he removed the rag and duct tape is beyond me??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 10:23pm
Back on task, Marsellus told me a Blow torch and a pair of pliers would get this job done
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Back on task, Marsellus told me a Blow torch and a pair of pliers would get this job done

It works fantastic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 11:42pm
I have had luck getting the tough spots with a heat gun to get the run started.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 12:09am
Pull the carpet up by hand. If you are lucky the old glue is hard and crystalized. If so then it will scrape/sand/grind off. If however the glue is still gummy, then its a chore. I tend to not try to use strippers unless the glue is still gummy. The drier the glue the better.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 8:13am
Never even thought about using my heat gun or torch. Good idea fellas. Thanks.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 11:25am
I had glued on carpet to the sides of my Mustang when I didn't have the side panels. When I went to remove them I could not pull them off so I used an oscillating multi saw. Much like skinning an animal I suppose. Using a torch to remove carpet would solve a lot of problems but creating others like what color boat should I look for next and where's the garage
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic