NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ramlin VIN anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ramlin VIN anyone?
    Posted: December-03-2014 at 5:51pm
Ordering a new Ramlin for our reverse gel 01 Ski Nautique. Current trailer is being donated, fitted and refreshed for our Chris Craft.

Anyone have a VIN number for that hull from a Ramlin?

They are confident they can build the trailer to match but I guess they were building trailers for different countries at that time and would like a proper VIN to ensure its the correct specs. Supposedly there were different axle widths which makes some sense.

They're going to start on this ASAP so any help is greatly appreciated!!

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2014 at 7:39pm
Chris -

Would my Ram-Lin '04 206 Trailer VIN help? You got it if needed...........
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 12:51pm
Joel (M3Fan) has a 00' which I think is on a Ram-Lin, he may be able to help.

So what is the plan, are you color matching the hull, 1 or 2 axles??
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:22pm
Shot Chris an email yesterday with my VIN. Really curious to see how the ordering process goes as I've toyed with the idea of trailer replacement for a while now.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2014 at 12:30am
Thanks for the responses. Sorry I didn't get back to everyone who emailed and txt. Sorted this our right before an overnight job so I'm getting back to reality today.    

We clarified yesterday afternoon as I couldn't think of any reason they needed more information.

Somewhere in the communication chain at Ram-lin someone said 2001 and the next person hear 2001 as the model. We're all squared away as I told them to spec the trailer to any TSC hull and we should be just fine!

Joel, thanks for sending that over so quickly! I'll shoot you a PM with the details of our experience thus far.

We're really excited about getting this trailer under the 01. The current trailer was just fine but a Ram-lin is really the way to go with such a cool boat!
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2014 at 1:07pm
I was checking out the Promo, that is one serious boat lift ! it says Dexter what body of water are you guys on there? About once a month I drive from Co to Mi . Ill take 70 east then return 80 west.
Kirk
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2014 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

I was checking out the Promo, what body of water are you guys on there? .
Kirk

per the December CCfan calender page, I believe it states the Des Moines river.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 1:46pm
Updating this thread since we have the new trailer back in Iowa - huge thanks to Eddie and JBear for picking up and storing the trailer.

Even more thanks to Hollywood and his future bride for dragging it from Orlando to Chicago, storing it for a few weeks and meeting me in Chicago.

The valet guys at the Lowes hotel got a kick out of us pulling into the parking ramp. Thought we were going to make it before the gate dropped. Luckily stopped just before we ripped the gate (or guide poles) off in the process.

After getting the trailer home we were pleased to find the color was a perfect match. I was a bit concerned about this as Ramlin said they had the color codes from that year but we went ahead and sent a guide pole from the existing trailer just in case.

That's about where the good news ended for a while. Brother Ben and I lifted the boat off it's storage cradle and onto the trailer.

Now for the bad news -

As you can see in the picture above, we noticed some major differences in the bunks compared to the other Ramlin's we've seen in the past and the early 90's CC trailer we have sitting outside. Long story short - the bunks are too wide and stay parallel too long allowing the bow to drop. This keeps the last 60" of the bunks from touch the hull making the boat unstable. Most importantly, the frame and bunks drop by 3/4" in the last 60" which was the biggest problem. Take a look at the pics below.

Daylight = Not good

The good news -
I called up the good folks at Ramlin and told them about the issues we were facing. (Thanks to Tim, Joe, Zach and Reid for filing my questions in the process)

After sending them a bunch of pictures and measurements we were pleased to hear they're going to take care of us and make it right. We discussed a few options to make the current trailer work but couldn't come up with anything that would be 100% right.

I'm very happy to report they're going to build a new trailer frame for us (swapping our running gear and bolt on parts over) which is a great excuse to make the first weekend of the River Run.

We chose to make this trailer as period correct as possible. You'll see the color matched wagon wheels w/chrome trim rings and kept the badging off the trailer so we could source ourselves (they sent us all the current decals anyway). Plan is to add white decals with white "Nautique" step treads.

Good suggestion by Tim on the wheels!!

The rest of the trailer is all current technology with Fulton jack, torsion axles, brakes, swing tongue and transom tie downs etc.

Overall - I'm still very pleased with the build quality and look of this trailer. The staff at Ramlin has been very understanding and willing to work with us to make this right. I'm looking forward to reporting back after the River Run with the finished product and more good feedback from our experience with Ramlin.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 2:24pm
Chris,
Sorry about the issues surrounding the new trailer.. It looks absolutely amazing.. That sucks big time. Not sure why this would have happenned if they had the layout already from this hull design ?? They also should be delivering the new trailer up to you once complete (or are you bringing it down to swap out the running grear etc? Nonetheless, good to see they are going to rebuild the right frame and get you handled... That boat has to be sitting on the right trailer for sure !! Gorgeous rig !!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 2:31pm
Like I said before, trailer looks awesome, too bad the boat doesn't fit!

I suspect the different taper of the frame rails is your main (and possibly only) problem. I wouldn't rule out he possibility that the 3/4" vertical taper at the aft end may in fact be accommodating the hook in the hull. Tough to be sure since the nose is allowed to sit waaaay too low. Glad they're doing right by you and will be able to do a test fit on the re-do before leaving the state!
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 2:40pm
That trailer might fit my sport?
Do you think Ramlin is up for a trade
1994 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 2:46pm
I agree with everything Dave says. But I have to disagree with Tim on the glad their taking care of it. They don't have much of a choice, they screwed up! You gave them a vin, they knew what boat you had and they just didn't start building trailers
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 3:00pm
That is a real shame Chris. On the bright side it sure looks great!!

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Glad they're doing right by you and will be able to do a test fit on the re-do before leaving the state!

Doing right would be picking up the trailer they built wrong, fixing it and dropping it off back on his doorstep. Perhaps they have made provisions however if not I would be less then happy.

The Eagle I ordered with the 206 had a bunk right at the perfect pass paddle wheel. Eagle came to my house picked up the trailer, made the necessary adjustments and dropped it off when completed. Made good on a bad situation.

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 3:09pm
That sure is some pretty white sand.

Hate to hear about the troubles.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

That is a real shame Chris. On the bright side it sure looks great!!

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Glad they're doing right by you and will be able to do a test fit on the re-do before leaving the state!

Doing right would be picking up the trailer they built wrong, fixing it and dropping it off back on his doorstep. Perhaps they have made provisions however if not I would be less then happy.

The Eagle I ordered with the 206 had a bunk right at the perfect pass paddle wheel. Eagle came to my house picked up the trailer, made the necessary adjustments and dropped it off when completed. Made good on a bad situation.

That's what I was thinking CQ. A whole lotta gas money and even more in personal time to pick it up and then bring it back for them to fix.. They arent exactly down the road.. bad service to me for sure !!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 3:27pm
I can agree with you guys on wanting them to pickup the trailer and drop off a new one but we didn't have the most straightforward process when ordering, so I'm trying to work with them instead of demand things and hope for the best. Beggars can't be choosers. So far it's worked out but we'll see in a few weeks.

Since we wanted to make the trip down to see some of you clowns I offered up bringing the trailer back for them to replace while we're in town. Had I been a normal customer working through a local dealer and not planning to go to Florida anyway I'd be pushing for them to do all the heavy lifting.

Considering the circumstances around this purchase, the issues we're facing and the potential outcome we're very happy customers.

The guys (and gals) down at Ramlin have been very helpful and supportive. I made sure to tell them I'd continue to be an advocate of their product for anyone looking to put a period correct trailer under their late 90's/Early 00's Nautique. So I'll stand by my word unless something changes in the coming weeks.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 3:33pm
Once you get this worked out, that is going to be one beautiful rig.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 3:34pm
I thought the straight frame rails were unusual but haven't seen a factory tandem before. Oh well, glad to hear it will be corrected.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 3:54pm
Chris you guy's are too nice.

Still scratching my head, Ramlin must have built 100's or maybe even 1000's of trailers for that hull and they can't find the instructions, lol.

If they deliver their own trailers up this way maybe it could hitch a ride back after a delivery.

And where is Pete on the subject, he just scolded poor CBR Dude for building his bunks the same way Ramlin did, lmao.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 4:31pm

Still scratching my head, Ramlin must have built 100's or maybe even 1000's of trailers for that hull and they can't find the instructions, lol.

I was too, evidently they had a miscommunication of sorts with the build sheets. I've sent over all the measurements we could get our hands on in hopes there's no such issues with the replacement trailer.

Time will tell but I've been on the phone with their production manager over the last few weeks and feel confident they'll get it done right.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 4:52pm

This is what surprised me the most as well... Any 19'6" SN/196 from 1990-2009 needs the same frame shape, no idea how they goofed that up! I compared to one of my trailers and the frame taper started about 4' too far forward... It wasn't even close.

Buying a trailer built in FL, from a dealer in NC, and then bringing it home to IA before realizing there's a problem has all sorts of logistical complications when it comes to service/warranty work. With a car, it's usually your responsibility to get your vehicle back to the dealer so they can fix it... I sure am glad a SJRR trip could be justified and the fix will be done properly (essentially a full replacement). I'm sure it will end up fitting as good as it looks! I'm jealous, I want one (or 2)!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 5:50pm

And where is Pete on the subject, he just scolded poor CBR Dude for building his bunks the same way Ramlin did, lmao.

I just caught this!! Seeing Ramlin's bunks, it was the first thing I thought of!

Chris,
Sorry you had this problem. I hope they take care of you. I do agree with others that they should be delivering you a trailer at your doorstep.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 7:33pm
Chris - did you guys make it back? Anxious to hear how the new trailer looks, oh wait, I might be a week ahead, I think your due back on the 30th...
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 2:30pm
Steve, I'm back in Iowa but the boat and trailer are still in FL at Ramlin. Dad is working a show in Orlando tomorrow night and is planning to get the boat Wednesday morning.

We did tour their facility and got to see the new trailer frame last week. Awesome shop and great people down there. The new frame looked great. I had to catch a flight so we didn't have a lot of time to pull measurements but it looks much better than the previous frame.

I'll hopefully have some pics of the boat on the trailer later in the week!!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 1:43pm
Update - Dad is headed north with the 01 and the new Ramlin trailer. He picked up the finished product a few days ago but I haven't gotten around to posting pics.

I haven't actually seen the trailer in person yet but he's very impressed with the finished product. Says it fits like a glove, doesn't bounce bit and overall looks fantastic.

Tim and Sally at Ramlin have taken GREAT care of us the last few weeks. I've met very few people in any industry that have taken the time they did to treat a one off customer so well.

When you factor in how busy they are on a day-to-day basis it was very clear that their customer service was even more awesome. I had several long phone conversations with Tim and he genuinely cared about getting us set up properly. Not to mention he put the boat inside every night and removed the cover each time since the carpet was still damp after the SJRR. He offered before we could request it stay indoors so you get an idea the kind of operation he runs.

Not sure I'll ever have another opportunity to buy something from Tim so I want to make sure everyone here knows how well our experience ended if they're considering buying a trailer.

Overall, we're very happy customers and would suggest Ramlin to any of our boating friends.

Finished product - we had them put the white pin stripe on this time. TRBenj hit the nail on the head suggesting white. I think it looks great!

Dad had them add the "Nautique" cut outs. I believe these light up but will report back when it gets home.

Updated bow stop this time. This design allows us to pull a pin and tip the bow stop back when putting on a cover. It's also behind the swing tongue so we don't have to remove the stop every time. It's a compromise for storage space as the trailer's a little longer but I'll take the convenience this time.

Last but not least, this is the new bow strap that replaces the turn buckle. I still like having a solid metal turn buckle but this is pretty slick for keeping the bow down. I personally haven't seen this done before but I love the concept!
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 2:20pm
+1 on the quality Ram Lin does. Dad had them basically build a new trailer for his '75, identical to the original. My only disappointment was evidently they "couldn't" do a custom shade of white.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 4:03pm
Glad they took care of you Chris it sure looks great. Pin stripe sure sets it off nice and sure complements the boat. You'll like those straps also,I assume they are on the back too? Zach and crew had them put on my trailer also,much easier than a turnbuckle too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 5:42pm
Smoking Hot !!!!!!!!!!
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 6:24pm
that looks awesome! Great work by the people at ramlin, and great write up
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 11:37pm
Very, very cool! They have come a long way from my 2000 trailer, that's for sure. Very nice!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic