Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 170 cu. in. interceptor inline 6 exhaust manifold
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

170 cu. in. interceptor inline 6 exhaust manifold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 170 cu. in. interceptor inline 6 exhaust manifold
    Posted: November-25-2014 at 12:23am
Looking for an exhaust manifold and riser for a 170 cu.in. Interceptor (Ford) inline 6.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 8:13pm
sent a message to 62wood for you.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 1:35am
I do have some misc "Interceptor 100" parts. I'm pretty sure I have one extra manifold, but was planning to keep around as a spare for my 64. (plus to keep Pete happy...knowing I can take off my shiney exhaust and put it back to stock. ) I Will try and check thru my stash this week.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 10:32am
I really appreciate that. I have a friend who is an airframe welder among other things. Amazing welder. Anyhow, despite our best efforts we're not going to be able to salvage the one I got or the riser. Pretty disappointing the motor itself only had 900 hours on it. The head was clean however visibly cracked in several areas. All the cylinders are unmarred so I feel I have a good candidate. I found everything else I need for the motor and a week ago located a 170 out of a comet by chance for parts if necessary.

The exhaust manifold has become a quandry. Barr marine was making after market manifolds and they still appear in their published catalog, however now listed as obsolete.

It looks now more like a re-power. which I could kick myself in the ass. I sold a buick v-6 I had maranized and a velvet drive for a friend befor e he lost his job I got rid of it cheap a month before finding my skier   
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 6:36pm
Hey thanks so much guys, JBear, Steve but a scrapper in NY (not of this forum) got my ire up so im just fabricating my own. In retrospect a much better option anyhow.

Thanks!!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 7:29pm
Chris Kincaid Marine Rolco in Australia used to manufacture conversion kits for the old no crossflow 6 cyl Fords.

Their website is not that great but you can download the price list. They still list the manifold in there so should be able to get one. $AUS 655.00 $US 577.00

Kincaid Marine Rolco
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 8:32pm
Thanks Mark I'll give that a look!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 8:36pm
Christopher,
What's wrong with the manifold? How are you making the new one? If that doesn't work out, try Crow Custom Cast Welding. They repair vintage and antique castings. John (john b) just got his set of HM's back from them. It's in one of his threads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 9:38pm
Hi, Pete (hope that's ok) it got pretty convoluted quickly I've been in a few restos before so bumps in the road are half the fun. BTW my father (92 years old) is a retired mechanical engineer and my daughter is off to college next year for electrical engineering.

Well, like anything when your buying a project your getting a project. I partially tore down the engine and had some concerns as to the emphasis the previous owner placed on not laying the boat up properly the last time the ran it and "it never saw salt water".

So I attempted to remove the manifold several of the bolts were steel so electrolysis and rust would not let them loose. I then broke the head loose with the manifold still attached and to my horror found a huge crack running the length of the jacket, no big deal at that point, just a hidden surprise. the head had multiple cracks, again not a huge concern. A chunk of valve missing on #2 cylinder and a pushrod bent into an "s".

So I suspect, well no am sure the boat had been sunk and possibly while running, appears to have been hydro locked, then they tried to deal with it and it probably wouldn't run so they gave up. Then put it away.

When a friend of mine and I had finally managed to cut the manifold free, removed the riser and end cap we discovered most of the interior was gone. To the degree that we literally poured corroded aluminum on the ground, the riser was pretty much done as well.

He (my buddy) is a very accomplished welder, certified to weld airframes and does a lot of specialized work on cast metals. Remarkable work he repaired a head from a Kermath inline for us several years ago that was deemed unrepairable by the first people my cousin consulted. He only saw that one in my basement by chance and came back with it 2 weeks later. Looked factory fresh. Repaired an exhaust manifold we found in Bracebridge Ontario for the motor for us as well.

So long story short, just was too degraded on a material level. If it were just cracks, broken pieces that could have been replaced it all would have been good. It wasn't too far away from paint holding it together. Oh had a hole where the battery burned through it on the bottom. I think they tried to burn the boat after they swamped it

I think the block will live though fortunately if not I know where I can get a comet engine.
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 9:40pm
I was really hoping to get the manifold repaired for the beer and hockey tickets I was trying to sway him with.
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 11:21am
Retraction on my last post! old one was cast iron I was surfing and apparently had aluminum on my mind!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic