NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can you do ATB's with a pylon extender?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you do ATB's with a pylon extender?
    Posted: November-25-2014 at 12:00am
Can you do ATB's with a pylon extender? This will be on a 75 Ski Nautique.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 12:25am
Please don't tell me I need to put a tower on this boat!!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 12:31am
I am sure it can be done.......if u promise not to tell anyone I used to be able to do that with my three girls on the tube......probably not rated for it tho as the cables only keep the fly high from being pulled back, not side to side and front.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 12:35am
Highly not recommended. How's the floor support for the pylon?
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Highly not recommended. How's the floor support for the pylon?

It seems solid, but I am very leery of going the pylon route. The club does a lot of ATB's in practice. I know this hull is not a great one for 5 kid ATB's but I am thinking a tower will work for singles or doubles.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 1:09am
Hey HW,
Can you look at the pics I posted here?
Rudder
I think I need to get the rudder thing worked out pretty quick.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 1:30am
Would this tower make my boat look fat?
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 1:52am
A tower (without any damn racks!) would be a much safer route but not worth having just for ATBs. We have broken pylon knobs (MasterCraft) and even cracked up the bracket (Moomba).

Is that your old tower?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 2:04am
Might be his old tower but not his boat
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 2:39am
Forgot about the rudder. Get the clamp block replaced I think you'll be fine. 75 should have the standard length tube and cable throw. An adjustment is all that is likely needed afterward.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 9:55am
Thanks HW,
No that is not my old tower. That was the closest pic of an older boat I could find for comparison with the cheapest tower I could find. The Big Air tower is $468 with free shipping and no tax, folds down flat so no modification to the cover, and is easy to completely remove, so I can at least pull the tower off when CCFANers are around to call it a tuna tower. I just want it to be a good, cheap training tool for the club, and it seems like the tower is the way to go. AND......I think the tower looks good! There I said it. I am out of the tower closet and freeeeeeeee. OK, I have control of my self again.
On the rudder thing, it seems like there is no adjustment to make at this point. The tube is adjusted back to the nut, and that is the direction the adjustment needs to go. Also in that direction, the cable is just to the transom. The only thing I could think to do IF I have the right cable and tube, would be to remount the clamp block to the correct position.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2014 at 12:28am
so I am confused...is this the $2500 boat?

if not...where are the pics..you know the drill here.

gotta say it again..I love your wife!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2014 at 9:08am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

so I am confused...is this the $2500 boat?

if not...where are the pics..you know the drill here.

gotta say it again..I love your wife!

john

Hey Jbear,
I know. How does she put up with me?
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2014 at 3:17pm
I get the practicality of having a tower for show practice, but I can't support the decision. Especially not the curved ugliness on top of that 81 (or 80?).

Are you missing a tracking fin? I think you should have 2.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2014 at 9:53pm
Hey Adam
I do have 2. I am pretty sure I am going with the tower, but I agree that I would rather not put one on. I promise I will get rid of the towel rack that is serving for a rope guard! I will even take off the tower for Wrecking Crew Redux!
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2014 at 10:57pm
what a steal for $2500.....no way you could pass that up!

sure is nice..marrying way over our heads huh?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
skierox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2014 at 11:14pm
Here is one idea. Cut the windshield down, just like they did back in the early 80's, beef up the pylon, possibly a show team strength "C" hook.

Brent Birl-Driver for the Backwater Gamblers use to send 8 around his 1985 Ski Nautique, even the Aqua Jay's had cut down windshields on Nautique's in the early years.

Ps-Brent will tell you that many times the pylon was pulled out of his 85, he's the man that could tell you what you could do with a pylon to get 5 ATB. Someone said that the 8 around the boat is on you-tube.

Go to showskiers.com to find Backwaters team information.

Always hate to see a tower on a nice classic!    
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 7:48am
Are there no other boats for the team to use?

I've seen tons of people do ATBs without a tower. Why does your boat need one? It seems like a bad idea to get a bunch of people loading up an arm that's so high above the CG. I thought that's why our boats had tracking fins and truck engines in the first place?

What about clamping a C-hook to the pylon? Seems like I've seen that a lot with show teams?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 7:49am
There's a big difference between.a '75 and '85 in terms of pylon support. All 80+ cradled boats have pylons that are securely reinforced. Prior to that, they rely entirely on the floor. The ones with the floor flange and 4 big bolts with a backing plate are better than the ones that preceded them, which essentially just had "beauty rings" around them. Not sure which this boat has, the switchover was made around '75. Either way, a pre-80 boat with a floor that is compromised in any way will not respond to heavy pylon loads very well!

A tower would be the shortest putt but that sure would be a shame. A slightly taller pylon (not a full up extended pylon) with a serous amount of support added would be the hot ticket. Cutting down the windshield seems extreme- they're not oversized on those boats. Making them any lower would make them useless, might as well remove it entirely if it's in the way.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 1:17pm
Tim has a great point concerning the cradles that started in 1980. How about finding or fabricating a cradle and slightly taller Pylon as Tim suggests? I bet this could be done for less dollars than a crappy tower.

There is a 1980 near Orlando being parted out that you may be able to get a cradle from. This is the guy that wanted a ton of money if you were to add up all of the parts. He was in the parts for sales forum on this site and he got a little flamed when he posted. I still see his post on Craig's list and he is trying to sell the large items first.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 3:02pm
use the exciter!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 10:18pm
Hey Guys
Thanks for all the inputs, but I already pushed the button on the tower to get the sale price. We end up pulling lots of training including wakeboard, disabled kids and ATB's for the top, and with all the different drivers and levels of aggressiveness, I just feel safest with a tower and the weight distributed over 4 points. If it was just for my Fam and I we would be putting a pylon extender on.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

use the exciter!

LOL! I would, but that is being reserved for the Flyboard!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic