Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chrylser 318 motor what is it worth?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Norestr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chrylser 318 motor what is it worth?
    Posted: November-13-2014 at 4:20pm
I have a 1969 CC Barracuda (best in class a few years back at Northeast Reunion in NY) with a Chrysler 318 motor that was rebuilt and slightly modified by Yarborough motorsports. Motor runs great but may need a water pump. MSD ignition, Edelbrock carb ... estimated horse power now is about 300hp.

My question is - what is this motor worth?

Thanks for your help.
Norestr
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 4:54pm
Neil,
You want to sell the 318? What happened to the Cuda?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Norestr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 10:18am
The Cuda is fine... I am putting a new 409 in our 02' SN and taking the motor from that to put in the Cuda.

Yes I do want to sell the 318. It is currently inside for winter storage but I have a short video of it running for anyone that is interested...

I have been told these are hard to come by now... what do you think it is worth?

thanks

neil
Norestr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Norestr Norestr wrote:

The Cuda is fine... I am putting a new 409 in our 02' SN and taking the motor from that to put in the Cuda. neil

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 10:39am

With out pictures,hours,whats included etc find out what scrap iron is worth and go from there
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 10:41am
Neil, keep in mind that the motor from the '02 spins the wrong way. That will cause you to buy more parts to complete the swap, and you will still end up with a boat that doesn't handle quite right- plus, it will likely devalue the Cuda vs keeping the original 318. The fully dressed vintage 318 isn't overly common but it's not all that valuable either. I think you'd be better off selling the engine out of the '02 (presumably excal or gt40) instead. There's a much bigger market for those.
Norestr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 11:02am
thanks

the motor in the 02 is a PCM 350 block 315 hp carb... it was special order this way

as for value - the boat is priceless to us and will never be sold... I bought this boat for my wife as a birthday present and has since changed our life in a great way.

thanks for your advice
Norestr
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 11:20am
Is that Barracuda chick's boat?
Norestr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 11:23am
yes it is
Norestr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 11:43am

thanks

the motor in the 02 is a PCM 350 block 315 hp carb... it was special order this way

as for value - the boat is priceless to us and will never be sold... I bought this boat for my wife as a birthday present and has since changed our life in a great way.

thanks for your advice

As Tim mentioned, The 02 engine is still the wrong rotation for the Cuda.

Since the boat is "priceless" to you, why do you want drop in a non original engine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 12:13pm
Its been a long time, I still have a blue Teva key chain on my key ring that I got from you and your wife at Lake George.   Glad to hear you guys are still around living the nautique life,
Nothing wrong with dropping that engine in that boat- IMHO do what you want. Although if it was me I would put a 1.23 to 1 pcm transmission in it and keep it a right hand prop, more because that is just the right way to do it than because of anything else. Putting a LH prop on a boat that came RH just screams hack job.    
IMHO, there is not a whole lot rare or particularly desirable about the current 318 which is frankly why it doesn’t offend me that you are considering taking it out.   You could likely find another one if you ever wanted to put it back the old way. Somebody that really needs it would pay maybe 2k for it. Doing any better than that would take a pretty lazy buyer imho. Considering the size and the cost to transport 1k would be a lot more likely. As someone who already has more engines than time or money it would have to be on my doorstep and looking real pretty and complete to consider paying 6-700 for it.     Parting it out would bring the best return but would take the most effort and time.
Is this work you plan to do yourself or are you farming it out? Seems like the upgrades to the 02 to support the 409 would be the most money/effort. I could probably put you together a decent 1.23:1 if you needed it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Barracuda Chick Barracuda Chick wrote:

I am old school (skool) all the way!

Neil,

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Norestr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 12:25pm
thanks for the input! When I drop the same NEW 315hp motor in our 77 SN just before the Lake George Reunion, I had PCM switch it out to RH and that is the plan here for the 69' cuda - so the rotation issue is not..

As for while the switch/upgrade... We bought this 1 owner 02 last April with 153 hours on it - it was basically brand new - we now have 385 hours on it... still like brand new BUT the cocktail cruiser Cuda is not turn key enough for my wife "Cuda Chick"... she just wants to turn the key and go. So the work horse 02' gets a nice new upgrade and the Cuda should be more turn key. I have 3 1x1 trannys and one 1.23:1 tranny - so I am good there - Thanks. It will be a nice surprise come spring for her.
Norestr
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 1:59pm
There is on ebay,with pictures I might add, a complete '83 pleasurecraft 351 with trans for 700. If it were close to me it would be sold. There is also,with pictures, 2 Holman Moody's for 3 k each. Can't sell anything or even ask what's it's worth if no one knows what it looks like IMHO.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 7:33pm

BUT the cocktail cruiser Cuda is not turn key enough for my wife "Cuda Chick"... she just wants to turn the key and go.

So what's the problem with the 318? It's funny that there are 100's of thousands of boat engines including mine that start right up by turning the key and going! If you have the funds to handle changing the rotation of an engine, I would think finding the problem would sure be less expensive. So, she isn't "old skool" as she stated?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 9:30pm
My brother has a 72 318 and I have a 76 360. Both "turn key". I'd also vote to just fix it, but I'm a biased Chrysler fan..
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 2:59pm
Mine is turn key as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic